It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple to pay $38 billion in taxes of off shore money, invest billions more in US

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Apple Inc. AAPL 1.65% said it would pay a one-time tax of $38 billion on its overseas cash holdings and ramp up spending in the U.S., as it seeks to emphasize its contributions to the American economy after years of taking criticism for outsourcing manufacturing to China.

The world’s most valuable publicly traded company laid out its plans Wednesday in a statement that was full of big-dollar figures, though it said that much of the money reflected Apple’s current pace of spending.
Taxing Foreign Profits
Companies have long sheltered foreign profits offshore. Now the tax bill is coming due. How much will they pay?

VIEW Interactive

Apple said it would invest $30 billion in capital spending in the U.S. over five years that would create more than 20,000 jobs. The total includes a new campus, which initially will house technical support for customers, and $10 billion toward data centers across the country. It also will expand from $1 billion to $5 billion a fund it established last year for investing in advanced manufacturing in the U.S.

All told, Apple said it would directly contribute $350 billion to the U.S. economy over the next five years, with the bulk—about $55 billion this year, for example—coming from ongoing spending on parts and services from U.S. suppliers. That number also includes the federal tax payment and capital spending.

www.wsj.com...

Glad they are paying this tax, glad they are investing more.

My question is is the $38 billion a fair number? Its only a one time payment, so are there steps to assure they will not hide money offshore anymore?

Either way, this billion more in money in the US is good news.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Too bad it will be “lost” and we will never actually know where the money even goes to.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

As long as America is not run by Democrats, odds are very good that the $$$ moved to America, will stay in America.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 11:02 PM
link   
And this is what happens when you have a CAN-DO-PRESIDENT and less BEER SUMMITS.

edit on 17-1-2018 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Apple said it would invest $30 billion in capital spending in the U.S. over five years that would create more than 20,000 jobs. The total includes a new campus, which initially will house technical support for customers, and $10 billion toward data centers across the country. It also will expand from $1 billion to $5 billion a fund it established last year for investing in advanced manufacturing in the U.S.

Sounds like $3000 Iphones. $4500 Macbooks etc.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 11:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Sounds like $3000 Iphones. $4500 Macbooks etc.

My wife has an I-Phone. Do the new ones have a message or notification blinking light? Hers is 2 years old. Apple has usually charged far more than the phone is worth, IMO. Hopefully they have more consumer-friendly bells and whistles by now.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

No idea. I own zero Apple products.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Aka, a payoff so they won't continue to pay taxes.

The payoff for us is more surveillance centers.

Sounds legit.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 01:06 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Me neither but the great thing is, plenty of idiots do! Great news for the US economy.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Trump is on a roll encouraging all this investment back in the US.
Great job. I hope we see more.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Great news! Let's see how far that $38 billion goes, my guess is that the government will waste most of it as usual but at least it's positive on the surface.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 02:46 AM
link   
They'll just cut back the wages of the Chinese slaves making the crap.
Don't buy anything by Apple if have any kind of sense of conscience.
Gather en mass and burn it.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 02:54 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

I'm sure Microsoft slaves are in the same boat.

I always felt Gates hated Jobs so much, he won't stop until Apple is crushed. Just my take on it.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 03:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

As long as America is not run by Democrats, odds are very good that the $$$ moved to America, will stay in America.

What if it's used to build bombs and they're dropped on a foreign nation? Does that still count?
edit on 18-1-2018 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 03:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: carewemust

No idea. I own zero Apple products.

I spent $2,000.00 for a MacBook pro and opened it with my thumb on the screen and cracked it all to #. Worst investment ever!

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 03:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

Of course some of it will be. It's Murika.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 03:58 AM
link   

It's not a fair figure at all. Go looking for how much these guys have made since they launched.

THE IPHONE ALONE has made more than $350 billion in profit in the last decade, just since 2007.

qz.com...

That is PROFIT.

Think how much they have made since their launch IN PROFIT. Compare that to this measly $38 billion. That would be fair tax on the IPHONE alone, but not when compared to the MAC sales, the IPAD sales, the IPOD sales and all the other gadgetry the poor little long suffering Chinese hands have been blistering themselves for.

Should you really be celebrating Apple's return home? Or should you be perhaps SCARED of how they are going to treat Americans. Can a leopard really change their spots or a Cu#e their skin?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I wrote that thread only yesterday. I wish they would come home and pay the workers fair wages and get America back on the map. I truly do. personally, I would write a thread next year bigging them up on how amazingly humane and kind they are and how other corporations should take a leaf out of their "cook books". Please, let it be so.

I hope they always honour China and those workers for all they did to get Apple where it is today. They owe those workers everything. Everyone of you who uses their products and me because I am writing from an older HP PC, and HP did just the same as Apple.

I beg you, pretty, please look after the people. If you do that, take less profit, in the long haul you will MAKE MORE, because pople will want you to keep existing fortever and they will praise your humanity and your CLEAN PRODUCTS that help and don't exploit.

What more can I do than beg like a beggar down on my knees for them to change their ways so they and we can KEEP ON SURVIVING.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 04:10 AM
link   

must be nice to tell uncle sam what you are willing to give them and under what term.

what bs.
edit on 11131America/ChicagoThu, 18 Jan 2018 04:11:25 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 04:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: BotheLumberJack
a reply to: skunkape23

I'm sure Microsoft slaves are in the same boat.

I always felt Gates hated Jobs so much, he won't stop until Apple is crushed. Just my take on it.

I felt the hate was the other way around as Gates was always worth more financially.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 04:47 AM
link   
so now they going to have slave labour camps in america too .
as added bonus the slaves will get discounted funerals .

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join