It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-16 3D audio

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Needless to say, this contract got my attention as in WTF is this.

Terma North America Inc., Warner Robins, Georgia, was awarded a $44,300,000 indefinite-delivery/indefinite-quantity contract for a 3D audio system for F-16 C and D model aircraft. This contract provides for non-recurring engineering, integration and production of a 3D audio system, as well as interim contractor repair support, spares and support equipment. Work will be performed at Terma Aktieselskab facilities, Lystrup, Denmark, and is expected to be complete by Jan. 16, 2024. This award is the result of a sole-source acquisition. Fiscal 2016 Air Force Reserve Command equipment funds in the amount of $2,659,410; and fiscal 2017 Air National Guard equipment funds in the amount of $5,716,971, are being obligated at the time of award. Air Force Life Cycle Management Center, Hill Air Force Base, Utah, is the contracting activity (FA8232-18-D-0002).

Terma

I guess the F-16 will at least have stereo sound!

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: gariac

The primary sensory system of humans is vision.

The second most important is aural, ie our hearing.

We pick up a great deal of spatial information based on what we hear.

Having a beep for a threat, say incoming missile, that not only beeps but you also know where it is, based on spatial information provided by the beep, could take precious time off the pilot's response times.

May only be half a second, but that could be the difference between evasion or getting blown to bits.

This is only what I assume it is.

P

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 11:38 PM
link   
This is probably the dumbest invention I've ever heard of, being related to military. There are already 3D visual indicators to an incoming missile or lock-on.

Not an expert though, and would love an expert's opinion.
edit on 17-1-2018 by 1337Kph because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Flashy lights on the Crash pad usually on top of the MFD,s..
Pilots need more cues than lights..3D stereo is a good way..

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

it is not 3D stereo, since stereo is in fact 2D. In fact you could argue it is 1D since the sound propagates from a definable line.

This is 3D Surround Sound.

P

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 01:36 AM
link   
They stipulate it as 3D Audio.

3D Audio is obviously military and as such, is hugely expensive. Taxpayer beware!

Now if they called it Surround Sound, which it seems to be, it would cost much, much less.

Ashtrays!

P

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Back in the late sixties we had a system we called the RAWS or RALWS sorry been a long time ago.. It consisted of a instrument on the instrument panel which was round (about 3.5" inches across)... it had a greenish black background with four or five green concentric circles which designated certain distances.. When you were locked on by an enemy radar a blue (kinda like the old quadraphonic stereo) electronic created line would appear showing you the direction of the lock on.. There was another instrument that told you if it was radar guided AAA or some type of missile.. The system worked very well and certainly saved lives; maybe mine included ? There were 8 or 10 buttons one of which was yellow for lock on and another was red for fired... AAA and the rest were dedicated to what type of missile radar had a lock on.. One was G-lardo... which we called the G_lordy.. Sorry been a long time but that is what I remember...

new topics

top topics

join