It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

in 2026 Two Asteroids To Hit Earth According To NASA JPL

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Yah looks like the first number is LD and the second is au

Edit:

CA Distance Nominal (LD | au) The most likely (Nominal) close-approach distance (Earth center to NEO center), in LD (Lunar Distance) and au. CA Distance Minimum (LD | au)

The minimum possible close-approach distance (Earth center to NEO center), in LD (Lunar Distance) and au. The minimum possible distance is based on the 3-sigma Earth target-plane error ellipse.

edit on 17-1-2018 by SkeptiSchism because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: MissSmartypants

Hopefully, there will be a transport line between Earth and Mars by then thanks to Elon Musk and SpaceX.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I was guessing the Christian Apocalypse would be over in 2028. So in 2026 it would seem that this would happen.

Revelation 8
8 And the second angel sounded, and as it were a great mountain burning with fire was cast into the sea: and the third part of the sea became blood;
9 And the third part of the creatures which were in the sea, and had life, died; and the third part of the ships were destroyed.
10 And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters;
11 And the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter.

edit on 17-1-2018 by ntech because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: EmmanuelGoldstein
It's a good thing we live under a protective dome then

I don't think it can pierce the firmament

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

Those readings are based off AU. An astronomical unit is the distance between the earth and the sun. Not the earth and the moon. Re do your calculations based off 93 million miles or 150 million kilometers. It will miss us with room to spare.

Did the math the moon is 0.002566882112227 AU from earth. So these won even get close.

No, they are listed as lunar distances, not astronomical units. A distance of .01 AU is not near earth by any means.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Checked it out as I said not close what will be dangerous however is on Friday April 13th 2929 Apophis will pass us as close as 18,300 miles away, inside the orbit of geosynchronous satellites which follow Earth's orbit. If are calculations are even slightly off this thing will smack us.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Sorry, but you've misunderstood a few things:

1) Any body less than 140 meters wide is not considered a real threat to our planet. Neither of those objects are even close to 140 meters wide.

2) While a LD (Lunar Distance) is the average distance from the center of the Earth to the Moon (238,856 miles), it is a unit of measurement only. When it says that it will pass 0.00262 LD, it means that it will pass about 625 miles from the surface of the Earth.. The LD is a unit of measurement only. When distances are expressed in LD or AU, the objects closest distance is from the surface of our world.....not it's center.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Very interesting, however, I respectfully question the validity of the research.

As you stated, one LD is the distance from the center of Earth to the center of the Moon. Subtracting the radii of these bodies accomplishes nothing other than providing a distance from two points tangent to the surfaces of the bodies. This information is meaningless unless the impact is measured in LD from the surface - not the center.

If the impact area is measured in LD from the center of Earth then the point of impact is 2386.06 miles from center Earth, or, a point on a line tangent to a plane 1573 miles below the surface of the Earth at the deepest point on that plane. Subtracting the radii of the Earth and the Moon, 3959 and 1079 respectively, from that figure creates a miss by 2652 miles or .011145 LD.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel

Very interesting, however, I respectfully question the validity of the research.

As you stated, one LD is the distance from the center of Earth to the center of the Moon. Subtracting the radii of these bodies accomplishes nothing other than providing a distance from two points tangent to the surfaces of the bodies. This information is meaningless unless the impact is measured in LD from the surface - not the center.

If the impact area is measured in LD from the center of Earth then the point of impact is 2386.06 miles from center Earth, or, a point on a line tangent to a plane 1573 miles below the surface of the Earth at the deepest point on that plane. Subtracting the radii of the Earth and the Moon, 3959 and 1079 respectively, from that figure creates a miss by 2652 miles or .011145 LD.
You can "if" all you want but a lunar distance is measured just the way I said.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Wouldn't it be 3959 - 2386 = 1573

Could they have already made allowance for the Earth diameter in the approach distance?
Standard units of measurement have set dimensions. Perhaps there is a scientific term for the distance from the SURFACE of the earth to the SURFACE of the moon but that scientific term is not Lunar Distance ....because, a Lunar Distance is the distance from the CENTER of the earth to the CENTER of the moon. Look it up.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 10:37 PM
link   
well its about damn time. We been waiting for these impacts to end it all for some time. Bonus points if somebody launches nukes the same week.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: MissSmartypants

originally posted by: Vroomfondel

You can "if" all you want but a lunar distance is measured just the way I said.

Yes, LD is measured as you stated. I agree. But that just gives you a distance to work with - LD. Is the impact point measured from the center of the Earth or the surface? I believe it is measured from dead center, hence the formula for LD. Which means that a passing distance of .01 LD, or 2386 miles, is exactly where the impact will be: 2386 miles from dead center Earth. Subtract both radii from that and you have a clean miss. That being said, I do not believe the intent of the calculation was to deduct the radii at all. I believe the measured impact position of .01 LD is correct and measured from dead center Earth which means my calculations of impact location are as correct as your calculation of LD.

Ultimately it comes down to where the .01 LD passing distance is measured from - Earth center or Earth surface. If it is center then .01 LD is a hit. If it is surface then .01 LD could go either way.

Regardless, it will be an interesting year to say the least. We should plan an ATS ASTeroid watching party and go out in style.
edit on 17-1-2018 by Vroomfondel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

I'll go bed now. When I wake up I want to see Phage debunking you.
Did you just sick Phage on me? If I weren't right I'd be intimidated right now. Phage is my hero.
edit on 1/17/2018 by MissSmartypants because: edit

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Maybe one will hit Washington DC. It could make for a better world. Now, what about the other one, where is the best place that could hit.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

New York, London or the Vatican. Where all the money is.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Could they have already made allowance for the Earth diameter in the approach distance?
Standard units of measurement have set dimensions. Perhaps there is a scientific term for the distance from the SURFACE of the earth to the SURFACE of the moon but that scientific term is not Lunar Distance ....because, a Lunar Distance is the distance from the CENTER of the earth to the CENTER of the moon. Look it up.

LD is center of earth to center of moon. That actually can vary though, because the distance from the moon to the earth varies depending on the orbit of the moon. But I think they use a standardized number, and it always is from center to center. I have never seen it any other way.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 11:05 PM
link   

You're still not understanding.

LD is a unit of measurement.

It is 238,856 miles. It's the distance of the center of the Earth to the center of the Moon. That's ALL that it is.

When we measure the distance of a asteroid to the Earth, we do not measure it from the center of the asteroid to the center of the Earth. We measure it from the asteroid to the surface of the Earth. One of the units of measurement that can be used is the LD.

For example: let's say I measure the northern tip of Greenland to it's southern most tip, and all that many miles 1 GD (Greenland Distance). It is now a "unit of measurement".

I then measure how many miles it is from New York to London, and tell you how many GD units it is.

Notice how we used a unit of measurement, but we didn't start in Greenland to make that measurement.

Get it?

We see the asteroid and measure how close it will come from it, to the surface of the Earth. Why? Why because if it were to hit the surface of the Earth, that's where it would stop.

Just like the AU.......sorry, but no astronomers are standing inside the core of the Earth and looking at the other planets in our solar system and measuring how far away they are. They are standing on the surface of the Earth and using the AU as a unit of measurement.

The starting point of where you measure does not have to be the center of the Earth. It's just that to explain how long that unit of measurement is, astronomers decided to measure it from core to core is all.

Like an apple sitting on a table in front of you. Do you shove the tape measure deep into the apple and then yourself to measure the distance from you? No. No you do not.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

Sorry, but you've misunderstood a few things:

1) Any body less than 140 meters wide is not considered a real threat to our planet. Neither of those objects are even close to 140 meters wide.

2) While a LD (Lunar Distance) is the average distance from the center of the Earth to the Moon (238,856 miles), it is a unit of measurement only. When it says that it will pass 0.00262 LD, it means that it will pass about 625 miles from the surface of the Earth.. The LD is a unit of measurement only. When distances are expressed in LD or AU, the objects closest distance is from the surface of our world.....not it's center.

Sigh...1)Of course not a threat to earth. Even the massive meteor that killed off the dinosaurs was no threat to the planet...just the life on it. The meteor that exploded over Russia a few years ago was only 20 meters in diameter and injured 1500 people and damaged numerous buildings.
And 2)Of course a Lunar Distance is a standard unit of measurement with a set defined dimension and is accepted and used by the scientific community(as well as humans in general) as having a standard, unchanging length.
edit on 1/17/2018 by MissSmartypants because: edit

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 11:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

LD is center of earth to center of moon. That actually can vary though, because the distance from the moon to the earth varies depending on the orbit of the moon. But I think they use a standardized number, and it always is from center to center. I have never seen it any other way.
Thank you, rickymouse. As I was busy telling everyone how right I was I was secretly hoping no one would call me out on the distance between the earth and moon fluctuating. But yeah...like you I think they use a standardized number as well. Great minds and all that.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 11:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

You're still not understanding.

LD is a unit of measurement.

It is 238,856 miles. It's the distance of the center of the Earth to the center of the Moon. That's ALL that it is.

When we measure the distance of a asteroid to the Earth, we do not measure it from the center of the asteroid to the center of the Earth. We measure it from the asteroid to the surface of the Earth. One of the units of measurement that can be used is the LD.

For example: let's say I measure the northern tip of Greenland to it's southern most tip, and all that many miles 1 GD (Greenland Distance). It is now a "unit of measurement".

I then measure how many miles it is from New York to London, and tell you how many GD units it is.

Notice how we used a unit of measurement, but we didn't start in Greenland to make that measurement.

Get it?

We see the asteroid and measure how close it will come from it, to the surface of the Earth. Why? Why because if it were to hit the surface of the Earth, that's where it would stop.

Just like the AU.......sorry, but no astronomers are standing inside the core of the Earth and looking at the other planets in our solar system and measuring how far away they are. They are standing on the surface of the Earth and using the AU as a unit of measurement.

The starting point of where you measure does not have to be the center of the Earth. It's just that to explain how long that unit of measurement is, astronomers decided to measure it from core to core is all.

Like an apple sitting on a table in front of you. Do you shove the tape measure deep into the apple and then yourself to measure the distance from you? No. No you do not.

Oh I get it now...you're trying to be funny. Good one.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join