It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Want Only The Best People

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Of course you are against a merit system.

You defend the current immigration plan, which as you know takes in far more people from countries that are not majoritarialy white than ones that are. II does that by using the lottery system, chain migration, favoring countries that are in bad situations, etc.

The fact that you defend a system like that favors specific countries, when you said repeatedly how ridiculous it would be to use country as a criteria shows that you are being hypocritical on this issue.

Again, trump was arguing against using country of origin, as it has been reported he made his comments when discussing putting Haiti and el Salvador into the lottery system was brought up.

You are for country of origin as a critieria, trump wants merit.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Statue of Liberty Inscription

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses, yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: sligtlyskeptical
Statue of Liberty Inscription

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses, yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

Neat.

How is that relevant?

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Anti,
You are one of the most prolific and sensible posters on ATS, I am delighted that you have realized that logic and facts have no bearing on the Trump occult.

Humor, satire and talking out your $hole is the only thing that appeals to them...

They live by "baffle them with b$&@#".

S&F for you......

MTUBY

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 07:56 PM
link   

So you think the state in which I live is a sh*thole and/or should be mocked and made the butt of a joke thread to score some political points?

And you are better than Trump, how?

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

favoring countries that are in bad situations, etc.

the horror!

edit on 17-1-2018 by knoxie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

But.. We're not stopping Haitians from living in the US. Just those that have not applied or gained US citizenship.

That we have taken people from Haiti isn't in dispute. In fact, we must have had more than 50k Haitian immigrants in the last 5 years because people from Haiti are not eligible for the diversity visa lottery program.

What Trump said was that we shouldn't be taking people from Haiti (among other countries, including El Savador which is also currently on the ineligibility list) but instead more people from non-#holes like Norway. (unlike those from Norway and El Salvador, people from Norway are actually eligible for the diversity lottery)

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

So you think the state in which I live is a sh*thole and/or should be mocked and made the butt of a joke thread to score some political points?

And you are better than Trump, how?

It wasn't about scoring a point, it was about making one. And clearly it struck a nerve so I'd call that a success. People should not be judged unworthy for no other reason than where they come from, least of all by the would be leader of the free world.

Rather than being upset at me, an Internet forum poster using satire to illustrate a point, a regular person with no power over policy who was himself born and raised in a "#hole" state, perhaps you should put it on Trump. After all, he's the President. Unlike me, he was being completely serious. He's also holding up bipartisan immigration legislation that he publicly pledged to support if it was presented to him.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 08:19 PM
link   

It struck a nerve because I think you made the opposite point you were trying to make.

You are just exactly like Trump....or at least the version of Trump that you claim to be criticizing.

You think people in Kentucky (and the other states listed) are ALL "Losers" OR you think it's ok to make them ALL the butt of your joke to make your pathetic political point.

See...at least in Trump's case, I don't know if he meant to sweep everyone in Haiti up with his comments. But, that is how you understood him, so you are, in fact, sweeping everyone in the states you mentioned, in the OP, up in your 'oh so funny' satire.

So, you are worse than Trump, really. You are everything you claim to hate about him and yet you will continue to believe you are in some position to judge & criticize him.

Congrats.

edit on 1/17/2018 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 08:22 PM
link   

potus is not holding up ANYTHING
basic civics
congress passes the bills
potus signs them
unles potus has wizard powers over congress

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Again, trump was arguing against using country of origin, as it has been reported he made his comments when discussing putting Haiti and el Salvador into the lottery system was brought up.

The plan that was presented to him does away with the lottery system. I believe it probably had to do with the provision that allocated about half the DV lottery visas to people under TPS. Remember, he also named El Salvador and the TPS designation for Salvadorians was ended just over a week ago.

You are for country of origin as a critieria, trump wants merit.

You keep saying that but it doesn't actually match what he said. He said he doesn't understand why we take people from #hole countries and not more people from countries like Norway.

How is that in any way, shape or form merit-based? I on the other hand have not actually said we should take more people from any specific country at all let alone that it should have anything to do with the race/ethnicity of the population.

He also said we need to "ban all Muslims" but I guess that was another of his statements in support of merit-based immigration too, right?

You defend the current immigration plan, which as you know takes in far more people from countries that are not majoritarialy white than ones that are. II does that by using the lottery system, chain migration, favoring countries that are in bad situations, etc.

I do not in fact defend the current immigration system. I don't know where you're getting that. It's not a binary choice — it's not you're for the status quo or you're with Trump. As I've said, I think the best course of action at this point is a bipartisan compromise because as we all know, they're working against a deadline to pass legislation because the Trump administration manufactured a DACA crisis.

I haven't given any opinion on what an ideal system for immigration would be. I have pointed out that labeling a country a "#hole" and saying we shouldn't want those people here is bull#. I've also posted stats refuting the notion that people from "#holes" are inherently less worthy. Other than that, I've given the details of the current immigration system, particularly the DV lottery program.

I'm actually not in favor of preference by country with the exception of refugees for certain humanitarian crises.

If I had to imagine a new system, off the top of my head? I would increase the number overall, have two principal streams. The bulk would be for let's just call it "normal" immigration and the rest for refugees/asylum seekers. I'd consider a point system similar to other Western nations to weight all the applicants and then do a lottery to select them.

As with the current system, I would preserve the Immediate Relative Immigrant Visas (spouses, unmarried minor children, parents) which don't go against the totals. All other family preference could possibly be handled under the point system.

That's something rough off the top of my head so you're not accusing me of whatever it is you think I do support.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 09:02 PM
link   

First, you say trump was not advocating a merit system with his comments.

I agree, he was discussing the current non merit based sytem, and asking why we take so many people from crummy countries, which was relevant to the discussion they were having at the time recomending increaasing el salvador and haiti in the lottery apparently.

Again, if the cirrent system is taking country of origin into account, Trump wants to know why we take so many from crummy countries.

You keep asserting you showed that peole from crummy countries dont do worse, but you havent.

You posted articles showing Nigerian and Indian immigrants have done well.

I posted a study shwoing that immigrants from poorer countries like others in africaa, haiti, etc. tend to require more government assistance when they get in the US.

You said it was random and from 2009, and never refuted any of it.

Stallion duck posted evidence of how people from some of these countries tend to do worse academically. You didnt answer.

Regardless, its irrelevant. It is not racist to ask why so many people are let in BECAUSE they are from crummy countries.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   

As far as your immigration system.

Ok fine you dont defend the current system. But strange you dont call it out for using country of origin as part of the reason for letting people in. Yet you are outraged if trump does it, even though he never claimed he would.

You suggest a normal immigration stream, yet do not want merit based.

So what is it, just a big lottery?

It makes no sense.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 10:33 PM
link   

I Want Only The Best People

You met them already! In your own neighbourhood!

Paraphrased from your other thread, sequentially, minus a few words for brevity and clarity

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I bicycled into the city . I was making a lovely vegan salad with gluten free croutons and braised tofu strips and I needed some fair trade endive.

In disgust, having left my mother's basement

He was shaking his fist,

I reached the gates of my neighborhood.

He exuded toxic masculinity.

He beamed Then he raised:

"Hey, you. Are you sure you're in the right place?"

I did in fact belong there. Became angry!

I could tell by his reaction that he was probably a racist but then something happened that confirmed my suspicions. He called his supervisor, Roy, who I already suspected of being a Russian agent. Little did I know he had been violated

It would have been a complete waste.

I considered yanking his head, but I had been away from Twitter for too long already and I couldn't be bothered a little.

I just can't today

I sit here bitter, nearly in tears from my frustrations

I no itz nut satyr, butt the best I culd doo weethin a short spaice ov tyme

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 12:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

Its been sad watching your downward spiral ante.

Pay attention kids, this is your brain on on politics.

I always love a good joke!

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 12:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

So show me where trump said no one from a place like Haiti would be allowed in?

Show me where he said they were terrible as opposed to their country.

"Haiti? Why do we want people from Haiti here?"

'Why do we want these people from all these #hole countries here? We should have more people from places like Norway."

*people from Haiti* *people from all these #hole countries*

I assume you also think that civil rights leaders fighting to improve inner cities saying they are in third world conditions are also racist that are saying all the people in those cities are terrible.

No, and this is the distinction you're missing. Civil rights leaders wouldn't say that coming from an economically depressed, high-crime inner city neighborhood makes people less worthy. There's a difference between saying that a place is a #hole and saying that we should judge the worthiness of people based on whether or not they come from a #hole.

when u make comments like this it shows that u have completely lost grasp of the blatantly obvious. really look at that bolded part. it should smack u in the face like a mack truck

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 01:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tundra

originally posted by: stosh64

Its been sad watching your downward spiral ante.

Pay attention kids, this is your brain on on politics.

I always love a good joke!

Who said it was a joke?

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Does the cleaning lady or janitor need the same skill set as the executives? Do the line workers? The receptionist? The tech guy?

It takes many different people at many levels to successfully run a company. So yes there could be a position for someone without college without some imagined pedigree from a down trodden area who was looking to improve their station. The company only needs so many chiefs.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Fantastic thread yet again Ante. You triggered a lot of Trump supporters here. That means something.

No... no I'm going to grant you three more stars!

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 03:32 AM
link   

I expect that from Trump because he's a douche bag.

Of course you're triggered. You've never even met Trump, but you've already judged him from public edited video. Not exactly an unbiased move. Wow!

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join