It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Want Only The Best People

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I dont want to have ot both ways. I want a meirt system, as trump as advocated, and said he wants people from all countries.

Reprts are the meeting was discussing the lottery visa'a, and there was mention of Haiti and el salvador, rather that was ending the visa and instead giving thopse countries more perfence, leaving immigrants form those countries stay in the country, whatever

The important part is trhey were discussing immigrants specifically from those countries, which has nothing to do with meirt. In that context, Trump asks his question.

Hence he was agruing against country of orgin being used as a reason to allow people to stay that would be otherwise leaving or let people in.

Your own words are admitting this. yet you continually then say Trump was saying we shouldnt allow haitians in.

As far as my study showing immigrants from crummy countries use more welfare, it used government numbers.

The data used in this paper come from the Current Population Survey (CPS). The CPS is a monthly
survey sponsored by the Census Bureau and the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) that provides
information about individual persons and households. In this study we specifically make use of the
data from the 1994-2008 CPS March supplements. The questions center on demographic character
istics, income and other economic variables as well as labor market activities

www.researchgate.net...

It went from 1994 to 2008.

Yes its about all immigration, not just the lotto system. So what?

Trump was arguing while discussing the specific context of allowing haitians and el salvadorians to come in or stay based on there country of origin. This study shows that those countries and those like them tend to require more government assitance for the immigrants that come ON AVERAGE.

This does not mean trump is saying no haitian can be good. Its saying if we are going to let people in based on country (as was being discussed) why so many from crummy countries.

The merit based system trump suggests would not say haitians arent welcome; you are making that up.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: Spider879

originally posted by: theantediluvian

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad
That #hole comment really triggered the # out of you huh?

Me? Not really. I expect that from Trump because he's a douche bag. So, no. It sure as hell as triggered a lot of bizarre defenses from his supporters though.

It triggered the hell outta me, cut too close to home.

out of curiosity, is there any place on Earth you might consider to be a "sh!thole"?

Yes but not the people, as I stated in another thread all our ancestors came from sht hole places, from Plymouth rock to boat ppl, and unlike some , recent African immigrants are the highest educated group in the U .S so how is that for merit base, [disclaimer not African, but of ancestry.]
Anyways my community is full of working class folks, who are go getters, the 1st generation, worked their asses off, saved money through an informal banking system called Susu or partners to buy first homes, and to pay for college, the 2nd generation (the spoiled brats) moved to places like Queens long Island, Rochester or Atlanta for some reason

Black Incomes Surpass Whites in Queens
mobile.nytimes.com...://com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox

Jamaican Emigres Bring Thrift Clubs to New York
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Now not claiming the brains of Africans and especially Nigerians but, so far so good, and we are not unique, other ethnic groups have their own path to the American dream.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   

It seems were are disagreeing over definitions more that prinipals.

I think the system you outlined here is what I would call merit based. The title is unimportant thopugh.

Your system here seems much better that what I thought you were suggesting, though I would have problems with some of it.

The point is saying "We need to leave 100,000 haitians in" is stupid, and questioning that is legitimate, although trump did it in a vulgar way I dont approve of.

Again, though, it was behind closed dorrs. No one went hysterical when Lindsay Graham called Mexico a hellhole and said we couldnt take all of them.

But because its trump, it has to be racism. Hell the person who went to the press presumably, Durbin, also feels trump saying chain migration was racist (a term he himself used).

I dont feel trumps statement was racist. I guess you do.

If trump gets to push his merit system, and it says no haitians or africans are allowed in, I will be outraged with you.

But based on his comments about his merit idea, I dont think that will be the case.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

By your own admission, they were suggesting either allowing more immigrants to come in based on country, or allowing them to stay based on country.

Thats my point.

By your own admission, they were suggesting either allowing more immigrants to come in based on country, or allowing them to stay based on country.

Not really. I think part of the problem here is that entirely different streams of immigration are being conflated. Taking in refugees/asylum seekers who are victims of a humanitarian crises is different. It's done under completely different programs.

And it makes sense when addressing humanitarian crises that there would be preference giving based on country, doesn't it? How else would you do it? Should we allocate the same number of slots in a program like that to Norway as we would to Haiti? Of course not. These should be prioritized and allocated as needed to address changing circumstances.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. And I agree partially. I also hire people and have had good success with my methods. Degrees do show the initiative to finish something, but they don't mean the individual is good a problem solving. (which I think is key to any job being done well) I am biased towards military, as I know they have been taught some things I admire.

But your hyperbolic OP kind of missed the point of what Trump said and apparently meant. I have little doubt he said Sh!thole, his backtracking is sad and transparent. He should stand by his comments if he's going to make them. Haiti is a #hole. I'm sure there are some wonderful people there. The people just happen to be there. And some of them just happen to want to be here. If the people who came were all the kind you and I would hire, that would be super. Unfortunately, I think the information Trump is getting, tells him that a portion of those people come here and need our assistance. Forgive me for thinking this way, but we have people here who need our assistance, before we offer to take in everyone else. Trump seemed to be wanting people who would contribute to our economy and be assets, rather than liabilities.

The biggest problem with Trump is he hasn't spent his life in Washington learning how to sugar coat things, and say what you want to hear. He talks like your loud mouthed neighbor that you tolerate because he lets you borrow his table saw. I appreciate the fact that he doesn't think like a DC insider. It's a shame that your side seems to want just that, another lap dog.

When I hire someone, I ask them to sell me some insignificant object. I question them on why I should buy it and what makes it better than the other one. How quickly they can think of answers, and how believable they are is a good first indicator of how they will be able to deal with my customers when they are one, on one. I eradicate mosquitoes, so the product isn't hard to sell, but the customer service determines how well and easily I can get new customers. Word of mouth is my bread and butter.

I realize that you are somehow unable to comment on anything "pro" Trump, but he's going to be YOUR president as well as mine for the next 3 at least, so you may want to at least try to understand him, you don't have to like him.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: Spider879

Im from west texas. Its a #hole too.

There isnt some exclusivity. But west texas still lacks many standard amenities people want. Lile good luck finding a Starbucks.

Big guy, Starbucks maybe overrated, your community may lack certain convince, but if the folks in your community are mostly like you , then the place may well be a sht hole but not the people.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

But based on his comments about his merit idea, I dont think that will be the case.

I am under the impression that the merit based system will not take country of origin or race into account, just merit. Almost as if the individual has to stand on his/her own when the decision is made. Imagine if everything was like that. It would take the race card completely out of the deck.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   

There isnt some exclusivity. But west texas still lacks many standard amenities people want. Lile good luck finding a Starbucks.

Big guy, Starbucks maybe overrated, your community may lack certain convince, but if the folks in your community are mostly like you , then the place may well be a sht hole but not the people.

Did Trump say anything about the people being bad, or did he just mention the countries themselves?

Sadly, I think that is the part everyone is not understanding and taking the racists stance on. Or they are just manufacturing outrage for Trumps sake.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
a reply to: MisterMcKill

I have in laws that have lived in San Diego and Thousand Oaks for 30 years. They love it there.

So do I. My Uncle is maxing in his condo on Coronado as I write this. What is your point? How many immigrants from Haiti do you think live there? I visited him a few years ago. How many uneducated people do you think that I met? If you answered "none", then you might be getting the picture. Look, I appreciate that this is a nation of immigrants. I know that Australia was a penal colony, and now it is rather nice. That has nothing to do with the fact that I do not want to live next to people from certain cultures. Perhaps you do. That is your business. I am simply being honest, and describing my life experiences. What I take umbrage with is the idea we should let people into this nation that think it is just fine to mutilate the genitals of little girls. That is an extreme example, but it is valid. That happens. Why are we importing people like that? And why would you not see that it is a problem?

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   

I heard it reported he said something like "why to we take so many people from these s-hole countries."

He is not saying the people are s-holes, he is saying their country is.

Really? But he is worried about the people coming here from that country, so he must make the assumption that they are #ty people, right? It must follow in his mind that a #ty country has #ty people, otherwise, there would be no way to make the leap to "why do we take so many people from these s-hole countries."

If he thought the people were normal, or even great, why would it matter what their country is like? Your argument holds no water if he said what you quoted. He obviously thinks #ty country = #ty people.

Sometimes, we bring in refugees that are very fine people (I have met many) that come from countries that are #ty. Because the countries are #ty, that is WHY we bring people here. To give them an opportunity.

edit on 18pmThu, 18 Jan 2018 13:40:47 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck

Ok, point taken.

Tell me this. Where do you stand on the current welfare system and the EBT cards?

They support corporate welfare with making JP Morgan billions off that free Monsanto (GMO) food.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   
religion, it's a #religion nothing to do with outcome

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Statistically which types of professions do the people immigrating from Haiti to the United States hold?

Of all the people that immigrated from Haiti to the U.S. which ones were ones that the U.S. actually needs , for instance from the health field?

(Hint: the U.S. doesn’t need any more individuals for the labor market because those fields are already so flooded with cheap labor that the pay scale for them is hovering around and into the poverty level.)

I await your response though I’m not holding my breath.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   

There's a lot of reactions to this post based on knee-jerk political reactions. I get your point and mildly disagree with it. But this OP is brilliantly written and quite funny. I'm just picturing you doing your best Trump impersonation as you write it. S&F, quite well done.

PS, I'm from Mass., so I'm safe under your plan.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Why does every-one avoid using the word Scat

i.e.: Scat-Hole Countries versus #Hole Countries does not require You to be privy to the alleged Trump Phrase which used a crude & demeaning term to Haiti and some North African States such as: Ethiopia, Somalia, Eritrea, Djibouthi, etc.

the countries & the leadership have stripped the population of their dignity, education, right-to-life, and an opportunity to grow in esteem & wealth... the countries are Scat-Holes of desperate people, through no-fault of their own...

the West cannot beome 'parents' to all these deprived masses--- Missionaries and Foreign Aid have not been a remedy.... Trump is saying borders are open but the gates to access the ability to relocate here are are few and quite restrictive...the Bar is understandably high so as to MAGA

edit on th31151630680018202018 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   

There is one in the United store where I reside.
West Texas may not be for everyone, but there are outstanding people here.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   
It amazes me seeing the affect the see eye aye operation mockingbird has had on people, WTF is going on with the USA? Trump allegedly says some country is a sh!thole, and people absolutely lose it. I don't remember seeing any of these same people giving even one solitary fvck when Obama legalized assassinating Americans, just imagine if Trump decided to start whacking people holy sh*t. Politics is a big ass game and none of us are in it get a grip people there's worse things than calling a duck a duck.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: St Udio

The US's foreign policy has had a direct effect on making Haiti the country it is today. This was not done via missionaries or foreign aid but by supporting a multi-generation dictatorship of the Duvaliers that routinely violated human rights of their own people while living a disgustingly lavish life-style while the same people they were arresting and torturing were living in poverty. The US propped these dictators up because they were corporate friendly, again to the detriment of their citizenship. Most, if not all, of the so-called # holes in Central and South America were similarly treated by the US. So in my opinion, we have a burden of correcting our own wrongs. We benefitted from these policies and now we should have to pay for them.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

I'm calling for a total ban from people from #hole states until we can figure out why they're so terrible. A total ban folks. And they are terrible, believe me. The worst.

Show me where he said they were terrible as opposed to their country.

???

Countries don't immigrate? People from countries immigrate.
Are you suggesting that Trump was confused and thought entire nations, government and all were immigrating?

Pretty sure he was referring to people in the immigration context.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Geesh, if a Starbucks is the standard by which we measure what is and is not a s-hole, then we have some problems. There are plenty of places with much better coffee than that! Plenty of them in small, watering hole type diners.

All you need is one person who appreciates good coffee to get that.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join