It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will we get a tearful plea from Jimmy Kimmel Tonight?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz

originally posted by: Grambler
a reply to: FamCore

the overwhelming of the culturally powerful are very left wing, hollywood, late night, musicians, even the athletes that are outspoken on politics.

Academia is overwhelmingly left wing.

The main stream media is overwhelmingly left wing.

We now are seeing those that control social media are overwhelmingly left wing and seeking to shut down anyone whos not.

Considering Trump won at all is amazing.

Really?

Exactly which policies are they proposing that are 'overwhelmingly left wing'?

They calling for the renationalisation of industry?

Taking telecomms back into state control?

Redistributing wealth from the super wealthy?

None of the groups you list are remotely left wing.

Yes we get it not true scotmen.

Is anyone advocating lowering the debt, smaller government, etc?

Oh I guess there are no right wingers either!

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Since there's an on-going filibuster, sixty votes are required to end that. Not sure if the nuclear option is actually an option to alter a cloture vote requirement.

I'm not an expert by any means on parliamentarian procedure, so I may be wrong.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Once again, I thought you were talking about the CHIP program in the OP? You're reading like a bait & switch.

Why would Democrats help Republicans pass a Republican budget when Republicans won't allow Democratic amendments into it? If they put strictly the CHIP program up for a vote, that's a completely different ballgame. But clearly that's not what they're doing, is it?

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

The problem with this thread is that it's giving the impression that Democrats are blocking the passage of the CHIP program. That's not the case at all. Not only could Republicans pass that on their own through reconciliation, but they could actually pass that with bipartisan help.

But it appears that the Republicans are trying to use the CHIP program as a bargaining chip to get Democrats to help them pass a much larger piece of budgeting legislation. And since that larger budgeting legislation can't simply be passed with budget reconciliation like the tax bill and Obamacare repeal, they need Democrats to help them pass it.

Here's a pretty good thread that Carewemust started about the CHIP program back in September. It'll give way more context to the CHIP angle of this story:
Our Callous Congress Forgot To Renew CHIP - 9 Million Children Could Lose Healthcare.

(disclaimer: I posted a bit in that thread and I wasn't too happy about it lol)

ETA: Here's one of my posts in that thread. It points out that both Republicans and Democrats had worked out a deal to renew CHIP for 5 years way back in mid September. But the CHIP program was simply never put to a vote by Republican congressional leaders (here's the post)
edit on 17-1-2018 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

Once again, I thought you were talking about the CHIP program in the OP? You're reading like a bait & switch.

Why would Democrats help Republicans pass a Republican budget when Republicans won't allow Democratic amendments into it? If they put strictly the CHIP program up for a vote, that's a completely different ballgame. But clearly that's not what they're doing, is it?

Ok ;et me further explain.

When Jimmy Kimmel had his rant against republicans, it was about how they were pushing tax cuts, but had yet to fund a budget that would finance ship because they were more concerned about tax cuts.

Now we have the republicans proposing a budget that would finance CHIP and the democrats wont sign it because they are demanding DACA be in the budget too.

Its the exact thing that kimmel wept about republicans doing.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Wrong. As I noted above, there is bipartisan support to pass the CHIP program. In fact, there was bipartisan support to pass a 5 year extension for it back in Sept but the Republican leadership simply refused to bring it to a vote (I even linked to a good article about it when it first happened). Now, Republicans are trying to use the CHIP program as a bargaining chip to get far more legislation passed. Hence the resistance.

Also, you might want to look at this roll call of Senate votes from last year. You'll be able to see for yourself that quite a few things were passed without getting 60 votes. It labels the passed legislation as "Agreed to" and the failed legislation as "Rejected".

Roll Call Votes 115th Congress - 1st Session (2017)

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Why not. We have politics that's entertainment why not entertainment that's political.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Wrong. As I noted above, there is bipartisan support to pass the CHIP program. In fact, there was bipartisan support to pass a 5 year extension for it back in Sept but the Republican leadership simply refused to bring it to a vote (I even linked to a good article about it when it first happened). Now, Republicans are trying to use the CHIP program as a bargaining chip to get far more legislation passed. Hence the resistance.

Also, you might want to look at this roll call of Senate votes from last year. You'll be able to see for yourself that quite a few things were passed without getting 60 votes. It labels the passed legislation as "Agreed to" and the failed legislation as "Rejected".

Roll Call Votes 115th Congress - 1st Session (2017)

Gotcha.

Ryan, all of the media, and othe rpoliticians are wrong about needing 60 votes, and you are right.
Would you mind kindly calling the White house and letting them know that everyone is wrong and you are right.

Thanks for clearing that up.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: six67seven

Yeah, but in the case of Kimmel's own kid, do you really think he let's the writers decide when he is and is not going to use his own son as a prop?

Probably not the writers who sign his checks,

But don't doubt that he would be up on stage giving wristers to hobos if the network told him to.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   

LOL Believe what you want. They need 60 votes right now because they're trying to push so much legislation that it can't be settled in reconciliation. That has nothing to do with the CHIP program, which they're using as a political bargaining chip.

But please remind me, how many votes did they need in the Senate to pass the recent tax bill? How is it possible for VP Pence to have cast 6 tiebreaker votes in the Senate if they always needed 60 votes in the Senate? And why was Senator McCain the deciding vote in a 51-49 vote against repealing Obamacare?

I literally showed you a link with every single roll call vote in the Senate from 2017 (from the Senate's official website, I might add). Many of them didn't require 60 votes, as anyone can see if they just looked at it.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Republicans completely control the House, Senate, and have the Presidency. They don't need the Democrats to come to the table for anything. It's not our fault you guys can't get your own politicians to vote together.

You know that is bull... There are many levels in congress across both party lines. Many republicans do not want DACA, but the President said he wants it, so you are telling me not one liberal wants to support it because the Republicans are the majority?

This is a big liberal platform and if they want it the President will sign it. If they stay home then no bitching when it runs out, OK?

edit on 17-1-2018 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Whatever dude. Judging by this very thread, you're the ones "bitching" right now because your own party can't pass the vast majority of its claimed priorities, even though it controls the House, Senate, and has the presidency (and Supreme Court, Governorships, and state legislatures).

You guys spent 8 straight years fighting everything the Democrats wanted while Obama was President. Then in 2017 once you gained full control over the federal government, you guys tried pushing through one piece of legislation after another that opposed our priorities. And even when the CHIP program had bipartisan support in Sept of last year, congressional Republican leadership in both the House and Senate refused to even put it to a vote. Yet now you believe in bipartisanship? Yeah right.

And quit lying about DACA. House Republican Mo Brooks said this just yesterday:

“We’re going to address the government staying open,” the Alabama Republican said, expressing joy that the plan didn’t include a DACA fix. “There will be nothing that relates to illegal aliens in this issue. This is to fund the government. … I think it will pass the House.”

House Republicans coalesce behind plan to avert shutdown

And after the infamous Trump "s-hole" meeting on DACA, negotiations on that issue are going to need to be started from scratch anyway. So how is this on the Democrats again? If anything, Democrats want a DACA fix right now. It's Republicans who don't. and since they control both chambers of Congress, there's no way Democrats can force DACA legislation to pass.
edit on 17-1-2018 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Here, I even took the liberty of writing what he may say.

Lmao... man Kimmel what have you become. It especially annoys me when he talks about feminist issues, the guy used to host The Man Show which was basically all about objectifying women and drinking beer, now he thinks he can be the upstanding virtuous talk show host... don't think so Kimmel.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 11:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder

Here, I even took the liberty of writing what he may say.

Lmao... man Kimmel what have you become. It especially annoys me when he talks about feminist issues, the guy used to host The Man Show which was basically all about objectifying women and drinking beer, now he thinks he can be the upstanding virtuous talk show host... don't think so Kimmel.

Wow...you're right. This "Guess what's in my pants!" segment from Jimmy Kimmel's old show, puts him on the PERVERT list, right alongside disgraced AL Franken.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 11:12 PM
link   

edit on 1/17/2018 by carewemust because: removed double post

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Disagree. It was a joke, the ladies willing participants.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
a reply to: carewemust

Disagree. It was a joke, the ladies willing participants.

I suppose if they don't ever complain about being coerced into searching Kimmel's crotch, there was no harm done.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Why should CHIP be tied to negotiations by the Reps in order to force the Dems to agree to something they wholeheartedly disagree with?

I have a medically fragile child and thank God we, as self-employed people, can still get the ACA insurance. If we could not qualify for it they would have put him on CHIP. Do you have any idea how stressful it is to worry that you won't be able to care for a medically fragile child because the government is playing games with the only means you have of caring for them other than losing everything you have and going bankrupt? And how long would that last? Then you are poor and qualify in part for Medicaid? Hopefully? Until they cut that too??? How does that make America Great Again?

Did you know that you can't even get a hospital to QUALIFY you for some treatments unless you have appropriate insurance??? Even if you sold all you had they wouldn't be able to sign you up for it because if you aren't Independently wealthy it is too great a risk for the hospital to take???

The Reps OWN CONTROL of the House and Senate. They can fund CHIP with zero input from the Dems at any point. They could do it today, except they won't. They want to hang funding over the heads of the Dems and try to spin it like mobsters do...nice little children's healthcare program ya got there...shame if something happened to it...

edit on 18-1-2018 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

Using this same logic, its clear the dems didnt care about border security. They want illegals, because when they controlled everything, they could have fiancesd border security. But they wanted to use it in a comprehensive package to get other things they want.

Yes, I am sure the republicans could fund chip alone if they wanted.

But they have put forth a proposal to fund it, and the democrats think getting amnesty for illegals is more important than the health of children, according to the logic Kimmel put forth.

I personally would not agree to that, because I understand how bargaining works on both sides.

But if Kimmel is going to call out Republicans for wanting tax cuts more than CHIP< he should call out democrats for wanting amnesty more than it.

Yet he wont, proving his weeping and using his child is just partisan garbage and despicable.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Amnesty for kids who came here at a young age and have not really known any country other than America? Who believed the promise that if they followed the rules they would be allowed to make a life here only to have the rug pulled out from them by xenophobic jingoism??

No. I don't think the two subjects are the same. The Dems are on the side of decency in both cases, would that you could see it.

But forget immigration for a moment. What is the right thing to do for kids on CHIP?
edit on 18-1-2018 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2    4 >>

join