It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will we get a tearful plea from Jimmy Kimmel Tonight?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: six67seven

Yeah, but in the case of Kimmel's own kid, do you really think he let's the writers decide when he is and is not going to use his own son as a prop?

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: six67seven
Err, a lot, especially for those hosting nighttime talkshows, have their content written for them...by... 'writers' of the show.

Two guesses what profession the writers are, and the first one doesn't count.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

I had thought the House GOP had enough votes in pocket to pass it... Divisions within the ranks are preventing that, as well.

I shouldn't be surprised, I suppose... Politics above all.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

What is even more frustrating is that many of the things the republicans have asked for were supported by these same dems in the past.

Dick Durbin now thinks the term chain migration is racist, when 5 years ago he not only used the term but was for curtailing it.

And so on.

Its a disgusting showing.

I am sure Kimmel will be shedding crocodile tears about the dems stopping the poor children from getting chip tonight!

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: Xtrozero

The kicker: DACA could already be on its way to passage if Congress would go about it honestly, instead of leaving during the meeting to make up crap about the president.

The Dems don't want to deal with this either. DACA is a done deal if they just come to the table. President has pen in hand....

I find it ridiculous that they are trying to spin it.

While I detest Congress, I hold a special place (deep in my bowel) for hating the Democrats in Congress. I thought the crap I saw from the GOP under Obama was insane....this is a whole new low.

You are upset that Democrats want bills that are not bloated with a 1000 different issues for political reasons?

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Kimmel is one of the few eloquent spokespersons the left has left. He's like a young Bernie Sanders.

The same Jimmy Kimmel who was on The Man Show. A whole show geared towards exploiting and degrading women. Funny how they never mention that.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: ZenTam

Kimmel is one of the few eloquent spokespersons the left has left. He's like a young Bernie Sanders.

The same Jimmy Kimmel who was on The Man Show. A whole show geared towards exploiting and degrading women. Funny how they never mention that.

No kidding? I'll have to look that up when I get to a real computer. Maybe there's a YouTube video.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   

I honestly care as much about what he thinks, as much as I care about global warming on Venus.

Actually, I'm thinking about starting a group against global warming on Venus.

Fred..

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   

I dont like what kimmel has become.

But I have no problem with the humor on the man show.

Its humor.

Now I will be critical of him using his son as a prop to attack republicans, but not democrats over the exact same issue.

That is not humor.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   

What a transformation for the worse for this guy,he should get an award for the ultimate sell out,besides the fact he used to be funny,now he looks pathetic,all for a fat wallet

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pyle

The kicker: DACA could already be on its way to passage if Congress would go about it honestly, instead of leaving during the meeting to make up crap about the president.

The Dems don't want to deal with this either. DACA is a done deal if they just come to the table. President has pen in hand....

While I detest Congress, I hold a special place (deep in my bowel) for hating the Democrats in Congress. I thought the crap I saw from the GOP under Obama was insane....this is a whole new low.

You are upset that Democrats want bills that are not bloated with a 1000 different issues for political reasons?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, don't you get it? It's not that the Democrats are fighting bills that aren't bloated. It's that they are fighting bills that aren't bloated with their own little pet pork projects!

Don't you see?

The Democrats are all for bloated bills when they get to control the process for themselves, and that's when the other guys fight against bloated bills.

Wake up and smell the total hypocrisy.

No one actually cares about bloat; they only care *who's* bloat it is.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 03:29 PM
link   

I know The Man Show was supposed to by humorous but I didn't find it funny. I do agree with you about him using his kid as a tool. Kimmel is rich, he and his kid live a privileged life. Don't pretend like you live like a normal middle/lower class person just trying to make it.

I can't stand it when wealthy entertainers, actors, musicians and politicians tell us how we should think, feel, live and vote. They live in an endless money, privileged, fantasy world. We have nothing in common, why would I ever listen to anything you have to say. Maybe some of them started out in my position but they haven't been like for some time. They quickly moved on to live in their own fantasy world, never looking back.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: Pyle

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, don't you get it? It's not that the Democrats are fighting bills that aren't bloated. It's that they are fighting bills that aren't bloated with their own little pet pork projects!

Don't you see?

The Democrats are all for bloated bills when they get to control the process for themselves, and that's when the other guys fight against bloated bills.

Wake up and smell the total hypocrisy.

No one actually cares about bloat; they only care *who's* bloat it is.

Sorry I dont understand "reeeeeeeeeee".

You detest the Dems but yet dont give a # that this is the GOP congress that the senate majority leader had to filibuster his own bill because DEMs agreed to it?

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   

I can't stand it when wealthy entertainers, actors, musicians and politicians tell us how we should think, feel, live and vote. They live in an endless money, privileged, fantasy world.

People love entertainers and think they're special. I had the chance to go on a cruise with a bunch of fairly wealthy people one time and I entertained them by singing at the piano bar in the evenings, like karaoke. After a couple of days, the rich people were asking me to have dinner with them and just generally wanted to hang out with me, like I was important or something. It was weird. Even a tiny bit of "fame" is weird.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Where'd you get the idea that 60 votes are still required? Didn't Senate Republicans do away with that rule last year? Remember that the Republican tax bill just passed the Senate with a 51-48 vote. And VP Pence has already cast 6 tiebreaker votes, which is kind of impossible if all legislation needed 60 votes to pass in the Senate.

Also, Republicans obstructed the Obama "agenda" for 8 straight years. Trump still hasn't been in office a full year yet. How can you even compare the 2 situations as if they're somewhat equal?

ETA: And don't forget that the Senate leadership can change the rules for the Senate. Remember how Harry Reid used to threaten the "nuclear option" of getting rid of the 60 vote requirement if Repubs kept obstructing him when Dems controlled the Senate?
edit on 17-1-2018 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 04:09 PM
link   

To pass the budget or to pass the CHIP renewal? Or are Repubs trying to use CHIP as a bargaining tool to get Dems to help with the budget?

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

I posted last page and article showing 60 votes are needed in the senate.

I think this article may explain it better.

One of the basic rules of the Senate allows for unlimited discussion and debate. As long as someone wants to talk, discussion on a bill must continue. No vote can be held on a bill until all discussion/debate is closed.

If even one person wants to keep talking, debate on a bill continues.

The only way to make that person stop talking is when 60 Senators vote to end debate. This is called a cloture vote (cloture is from a word meaning to close off or bring to an end).

Cloture used to require a two thirds majority. This was back in the days when filibusters were rare. The cloture requirement was reduced from two-thirds to three-fifths in 1975--a more manageable 60 votes.

www.dailykos.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Yeah but you're forgetting that they can pass something with a simple majority through budget reconciliation. Isn't that how they almost repealed Obamacare when McCain cast the deciding "No" vote (51 no's to 49 yes's)? And isn't that how they just passed the Republican tax plan, 51 to 48?

ETA: Let's not forget this beautiful moment:

edit on 17-1-2018 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
a reply to: FamCore

the overwhelming of the culturally powerful are very left wing, hollywood, late night, musicians, even the athletes that are outspoken on politics.

Academia is overwhelmingly left wing.

The main stream media is overwhelmingly left wing.

We now are seeing those that control social media are overwhelmingly left wing and seeking to shut down anyone whos not.

Considering Trump won at all is amazing.

Really?

Exactly which policies are they proposing that are 'overwhelmingly left wing'?

They calling for the renationalisation of industry?

Taking telecomms back into state control?

Redistributing wealth from the super wealthy?

None of the groups you list are remotely left wing.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

Yeah but you're forgetting that they can pass something with a simple majority through budget reconciliation. Isn't that how they almost repealed Obamacare when McCain cast the deciding "No" vote (51 no's to 49 yes's)? And isn't that how they just passed the Republican tax plan, 51 to 48?

But this budget proposal also has regulations in it, which means reconciliation can not be used.

It can only be used to shuffle money about, not change the budget itself or pass regulations, as far as I can see.

Regardless, both the article I cited and what I heard Paul ryan say today said they need 60 votes.

Unless yopu have eveidence to the contrary, I assume that to be true.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join