It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China's J-20 Stealth Fighters Participated in Combat Exercises for First Time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 05:26 PM
link   

The Chinese Air Force has deployed its best combat plane – the J-20 stealth fighter jet – to conduct exercises with other advanced jets.

The Air Force of the People’s Liberation Army said in a news release on Thursday that several J-20s took part in a series of combat exercises against the less-advanced J-16 and J-10C.

The exercises took place over the past nine days at an undisclosed air base and were realistic, the release said.

The military said J-20s practiced beyond-visual-range aerial fighting maneuvers during these drills, without elaborating.

This is the first time the Air Force has confirmed that the J-20 has participated in a combat exercise. In July, the Air Force sent three J-20s to a military parade at the Zhurihe Training Base in the Inner Mongolia autonomous region and used that occasion to make public some details about the inside of the jet’s cockpit for the first time.

www.defencetalk.com...

So.

I would wager the Chinese are now trying to sort through how to employ their new fighter in much the same way the US has been testing out tactics with the F-35s in exercises. I suspect the Chinese will change how they employ the aircraft based on the what they learn from those exercises. Some of the tactics planned will work out just fine. Others will be less than ideal. There are likely to be tactics that were not dreamed of that the pilots will uncover during the exercises.

TBH, that probably worries me the most. Not that the J-20s are amazing super duper firefox whizbangs, but what the pilots who have real experience with fighters will find the bird can do and the techies and generals didn't think of. Or those curious foreign PITAs like myself.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

It would not surprise me one iota if the Chinese training sessions start with "This is what we know of US tactics. Information has been acquired easily by our intel sources. We will start with their tactics and then examine how to use their strengths against them."

P

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

You don't really think Syria was entirely out of the good of Russia's heart to help a friend, do you? They've been sucking up all kinds of information and sharing it with friends.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Indeed. Now, are Russia and China sharing that information.

I hope that all of these advanced war machines never meet in massed combat but ...

it would be interesting to see. Who has the edge and why.

There is still catching up to do and that is happening. How far away they are is anyone's guess.

P

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Weapons development in a national military:

Usually when a country is doing weapons R&D, the first thing that is looked at is the capacities of similar weapons from other countries, though that are known and some looked at in a clandestine nature. Then one would look to come up with and find counters to said weapons system, taking the time to develop and test.

That part, the R&D, along with the initial testing is done in secret. Once the prototype is developed and it is acceptable, then they make the first few.

Now when one unveils said weapon and weapons system, they are sending a message, and one that is triggered to other countries around the world, to both their allies and others. And in this case, they are now letting the world know, and in particular the various governments and militaries that they have a new weapon that is ready to be produced and put out. Many will be watching to see what the capabilities of this is going to be and what all it can do, with interest.

That is what this is, merely a way to say that it now has a new fighter jet, and it is ready to use it.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Let's hope they fly better than they drive !

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: scubagravy

Human pilots probably don't have too much longer to fly anyway.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkeptiSchism
a reply to: scubagravy

Human pilots probably don't have too much longer to fly anyway.

What a droning statement to make....

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   

They've been sucking up all kinds of information and sharing it with friends.

Russia has been quite open about doing just that..Thing is the US knows about it and either sending them unsecret tactics and procedures or false stuff.. Or they have ways to suck up Russian radio,radar and tech waves to analyze and decypher. (my bet)
edit on 16-1-2018 by Blackfinger because: added

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

In Soviet Russia, war trains for you!

I think that was half the reason the Russians did what they did: they wanted to have a battle trained military like the US has. The other parts were to flip the bird at the US (we're anti Assad) and get bases outside of Russia (which they just announced they would be expanding their naval base in Syria). Finally, it also gets to livefire test the Russian kit.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

Both sides would be stupid to NOT take advantage of the opportunity. And both have been fairly open about it.

top topics

join