It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PMS/PMDD: Why Do We Even Have to Deal With This, Still?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   
PMS/PMDD (Premenstrual Syndrome/Premenstrual Dysmorphic Disorder): Why do we even have to deal with this, still?

I've seen a lot of evolutionary psychology-type reasoning, suggesting maybe PMS/PMDD occurs to cause women to leave relationships that have not produced a child, or to find a partner in the first place. Of course it's totally possible to evolve traits that don't serve a specific function at all, but are just a side effect of something else that does serve a function... so that line of speculation may be fun but ultimately not really helpful one way or another.

I've also seen suggestions that it doesn't exist and/or is a cultural phenomenon instead of a biological one... to which i say HA! Ha, ha ha ha ha!

I was lucky for the first fifteen years or so of my cycle, I never had cramps and I don't think I had PMS either. To be fair, I was such a mass of undifferentiated anxiety that it just might not have stood out against the general background noise. My sister had terrible cramps and I thought she was just a wussy.

However, karma has paid me back. Over the last ten years I've had horrible cramps for one or two days at the start of my cycle, nearly every month. Sometimes they are literally bad enough to cause me to call out of work. It's an amazing pain, like a giant fist is squeezing all the soft squishy parts inside you, over and over again. Like your worst taco squirts times 100 but lasting all day long, if that helps in the visualization for those of you who don't get cramps.

And two out of every three months, the first two days before my cycle starts are frequently horrible days where I worry over things I don't normally worry about, am irritated by things i normally shrug off, and am easily moved to tears by sad things and also happy things and sometimes nothing specific at all. I feel down for two days and wonder off and on if I'm totally losing it or what, and try to bear through it and act normal... and then my cycle starts. And then all the crazy bleeds out of me along with the, well, you know.

I honestly hate it, because it feels like such a cliche to feel that way. And it makes me mad that so many women go through this and are downplaying how bad it can be, just so they're not thought of as less functional just because they're suffering from this 'woman trouble', and just so they don't have to hear the same bunch of lame jokes some people think they're so clever to make... which I expect to see in this thread from all the usual suspects, and probably some sammich comments as well because MY GOD you guys are SO CLEVER.

And I really find myself wondering, why is there not a treatment for this kind of thing, which is a recurring condition that affects so many?

Is it the same reason that female orgasm was regarded as a myth? The same reason we only really learned about the internal structure of the clitoris in recent years? The same reason women's health concerns are dismissed as imagination, so frequently?

So, what are your experiences with PMS/PMDD? How do you cope with symptoms? Would you be interested in a treatment, if one were developed?

edit on 16-1-2018 by fiverx313 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

Ummm...

YouSir
edit on 16-1-2018 by YouSir because: just because...

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   

I am right there with you sister, I could lay my story right over yours. I sooo hate the medical institution that I keep telling myself just get through this and your home free...but probably not.

I don’t talk about it but I have been taking Kratom for the last three years and it helps me. Also, a cream progesterone which helps with the bleeding (sorry for the graphics).

Otherwise the doctors just try to give you another medication or surgery, none of which works for me.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Well, you see ... we have these things called hormones, and they exist at fluctuating levels in our bodies. And as those levels change, sometimes fairly drastically, it impacts how we feel both physically and even mentally/emotionally.

And in order to cycle our bodies to keep them preparing to be fertile on a monthly basis, that's a *lot* of hormonal change.

So, yeah, we tend to get those drastic swings while we cycle.

The evolutionary purpose is to allow us to be fertile once a month.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   

My heart goes out to you... and my empathy. Been there, done that. And it was endometriosis -- a condition in which uterine cells grow outside the womb, causing severe pain, bleeding, and often leading to other health issues -- many quite serious.

Along with the attitude problems that you've already noted -- and/or perhaps because of them -- far too many doctors are misdiagnosing endometriosis as simple PMS/PMDD.

And in fairness to the doctors, because of the attitude problems towards these issues in the medical community, not enough research is done in diagnosing and treating endo, and doctors are not properly educated or trained to diagnose and treat endo.

If My Doctors Hadn't Missed These 13 Symptoms, My Endometriosis Wouldn't Have Gone Undiagnosed

Why Period Pain and PMS should not be ignored

Please look into endometriosis for yourself... and I hope you find something to help. Good luck!

P.S. I'm sure it won't help to know that while research dollars for endometrosis studies for women are seriously lacking, folks have found research dollars to study how it affects MEN!!! Both as the husbands/boyfriends of women who suffer from it... and as transgender females with male physiology taking estrogen and now suffering the same results.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Watcher777
I don’t talk about it but I have been taking Kratom for the last three years and it helps me. Also, a cream progesterone which helps with the bleeding (sorry for the graphics).

i'm glad you found some stuff that helps

originally posted by: ketsuko
Well, you see ... we have these things called hormones

thanks bill nye, but i am well aware of the biological basis... did you read my post or just the title

originally posted by: Boadicea
My heart goes out to you... and my empathy. Been there, done that. And it was endometriosis -- a condition in which uterine cells grow outside the womb, causing severe pain, bleeding, and often leading to other health issues -- many quite serious.

thank you for the tip, i hope you've found some relief.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Yes, I read it, but there really isn't much more to say.

It is what it is. The only way to avoid it is to remove the source of the trouble. I did have a friend who went that route thanks to terribly severe endometriosis, but for most of us, that's not an option.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Yes, I read it, but there really isn't much more to say.

It is what it is. The only way to avoid it is to remove the source of the trouble. I did have a friend who went that route thanks to terribly severe endometriosis, but for most of us, that's not an option.

i ponder it from time to time, hehe.. i'm not quite ready for major surgery, though.

i just wonder if there couldn't be an effective treatment devised, but they just haven't bothered? like with male hormonal birth control.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   

I honestly don't know what medical treatments could eliminate it. Isn't the whole process basically the female body dislodging the old egg & its supporting tissues, flushing out the old egg & its supporting tissues, and then preparing the next egg its supporting tissues? Maybe there's a way to speed up the process or make it painless, but removing it altogether seems impossible in my admittedly ignorant opinion.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

I honestly don't know what medical treatments could eliminate it. Isn't the whole process basically the female body dislodging the old egg & its supporting tissues, flushing out the old egg & its supporting tissues, and then preparing the next egg its supporting tissues? Maybe there's a way to speed up the process or make it painless, but removing it altogether seems impossible in my admittedly ignorant opinion.

well, for me specifically there's the emotional variance, which (as ketsuko explained) is related to the hormonal fluctuations the body goes through as part of the reproductive cycle.

the cramping i have is probably more related to the dislodging (eww) but it seems a little over-the-top.

these would probably require two separate paths of treatment... altho i guess a strong enough muscle relaxant would probably be calming emotionally as well, lol.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

All of the associated discomforts from the cramps to the mood swings to the appetite issues to the bloating to the digestive disruptions ... all of it is your body having to adjust to the rapid changes in hormonal levels.

You can try to smooth out the hormones, but that impedes normal cycling function, and then you're talking about unintended side effects of impeding what your body is naturally designed for.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Some women have told me that birth control pills help with the hormonal and/or emotional fluctuations & some have even said they help with reducing the pain from the cramps. But I clearly don't have any first hand knowledge of that.

One of my exes tried some other medicinal pill for the mood swings, but I basically wouldn't let her take them anymore after the 2nd time she used them. Ok, technically I begged her not to use them anymore because she was a completely different person. She still looked the same but it seemed to kill off all of her emotions, good and bad. It seemed like she'd become possessed by the spirit of "who gives a crap" and had completely become indifferent to everything. I figured it was better to put up with the mood swings than to lose the interactions with her personality.

I wish there was some way we could help reduce the physical and emotional discomforts. But for most guys, it's a situation we can't even begin to understand.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Its punishment because you took that damn apple!

edit on 16-1-2018 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

but it was goooooood

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Yes, well, in my case, the hormonal fluctuations are complicated in that they also can trigger increased migraines. In the beginning, I was put on a low estrogen dose pill specifically for that reason, but every month around *that* time, I would chain migraines for three to four days as part of the fun.

When I stopped taking the pill to have a kid, the monthly migraine parade also stopped even before the pregnancy began.

So afterward, even though we didn't necessarily want more children, I decided not to go back on the pill. That doesn't mean I never get migraines triggered by the hormonal fluctuations, but they are much less than they were.

So the pill isn't always the answer. Sometimes, it is better to let nature take its course.

And truly, for the most part, it's just a major annoyance to know the discomfort is coming. For most of us, that's what it is -- discomfort that's predictable and made more annoying by that. For those who have real trouble? There are things that can help, but like any chronic health issue, you just have to learn to work around it and find ways to endure.
edit on 16-1-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313

originally posted by: Grambler

but it was goooooood

Ha!

Well as a guy that is tired of being made to look dumb by many women, I have a vested interest in reminding women they shouldn't have ate from the tree of knowledge.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Oh believe me, there are days when I think anything we might have gotten out of the deal is vastly over rated.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   

You might want to check with your GYN.

It could be you are entering pre-menopause....which can happen at younger ages than you think.
Your hormones start to fluctuate...and it affects cycles.

It causes changes to your cycles. Heavier, more pain, bloating, etc.

When I got to that point, I was put on Prometrium, which is a natural hormone.
I don't know if it could help you, but it is worth asking.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Don't even get me started on THOSE headaches.
I had them every month for three days....like clockwork.

Migraine meds did not work.

TWO doctors told me they could NOT be related to my cycle

I finally just lived on Aleve for those three days...and eventually my hormones settled down.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
When I got to that point, I was put on Prometrium, which is a natural hormone.
I don't know if it could help you, but it is worth asking.

thank you for the tip, i'll definitely float that possibility at my next exam. i had wondered that last year, because after i had my nexplanon implant removed my cycle was very irregular and i had weird symptoms... but the last six months it's been more regular than every before in my life. ah, the mysteries of womanhood

new topics

<<   2 >>

join