It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Measles alert issued for Chicago O'Hare air travelers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   
abcnews.go.com...

"The agency did not divulge which flights or airline carriers the measles-infected passenger flew, or the treatment the passenger may be receiving.

A spokesperson for the agency told ABC News that, "Those who were considered most at risk are being contacted directly by health officials."

I'm old enough to have had chickenpox and measles as a kid (awful), and maybe this report is a little sensational, I mean it's not like Ebola.

I'm wondering how did this person manage to make it on the flight in the first place, and then what exactly happened at arrival at the airport, and do they actually do measles tests when you arrive and look sick? I've been on plenty of flights with people hacking up a lung and nothing seemed to happen.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Great...

The incubation period of measles, from exposure to prodrome, averages 10–12 days. From exposure to rash onset averages 14 days (range, 7–21 days). The prodrome lasts 2–4 days (range 1–7 days).

CDC

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Actually measles could theoretically be worse than Ebola.

2016 total measles deaths = 89,780 (The most recent year I could find figures for. Apparently it was celebrated because it dropped below 100k for the first time ever.)

2017 Ebola deaths = 4. (Is that right? Google tells me 4 people died in 2017 of Ebola. That doesn't seem right though...)

But yeah, whatever the exact number is, you're significantly more at risk from Measles than Ebola I think.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

If given the choice, room with Ebola or room with Measles, i'm pretty sure most would choose measles!

what I did find interesting is that measles is much much more contagious, about 9x more contagious than ebola! Weird right!

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I had the measles when I was a kid, once you have had them, you don't have to worry about them anymore. My daughter had the measles shot when she was young and when she went to work at a New york hospital, she had the immunity test done instead of just getting the shot again. Guess what, she had no immunity anymore, seems that getting the measles is better. She had to get the measles shot again, but they never even tested if it worked after they gave the shot.

I guess the measles has mutated, but even then, people who actually got the measles are protected.

Also, the Tetnus shot lasts thirty years, they actually did testing on that in Europe. They do not accept the European testing here on that though, their belief is that it should be still ten years even though there is no evidence that it goes away in ten years. Just a way of getting extra money I guess, no evidence is better than real evidence if you want to sell something.

I had a DTAP four years ago, I am not going to get another one till I am 88 years old, which will probably never happen. I know a guy who worked as a mechanic and always was getting cuts and never went to a doctor for forty five years. He is healthy as an ox. He is now retired and is not planning on going to a doctor until they pronounce him dead.

My grandfather was eighty six when he died, he was healthy and strong, he never went to a doctor, not even when he was born. The doctor had to pronounce him dead though, but while he was alive he never went to a doctor.
edit on 16-1-2018 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 03:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
I'm wondering how did this person manage to make it on the flight in the first place, and then what exactly happened at arrival at the airport, and do they actually do measles tests when you arrive and look sick? I've been on plenty of flights with people hacking up a lung and nothing seemed to happen.

At first measles could look like a cold, runny nose, coughing etc. If you look sick they won't necessarily test for measles, unless you have a rash and then they will test for the most common diseases with this specific symptom.

originally posted by: Painterz
But yeah, whatever the exact number is, you're significantly more at risk from Measles than Ebola I think.

Absolutely, measles is one of the most infectious viral diseases and statistically 9 out of 10 people (who come in contact with an infected person) in will either breath in or ingest the virus as it can survive in tiny droplets spread around by sneezing or coughing.

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: Painterz

If given the choice, room with Ebola or room with Measles, i'm pretty sure most would choose measles!

what I did find interesting is that measles is much much more contagious, about 9x more contagious than ebola! Weird right!

Ebola's fatality average is 50% but Measles is not a walk in the park and can cause life threatening complications such as encephalitis (swelling of the brain).

We shouldn't have Measles cases in developed societies, because we have a vaccine that has been proven time and time again to be effective and safe. In Europe there has been an increase in cases and deaths, all due to antivaxx propaganda. In Romania, for example, ten years ago vaccination rates were over 97% and they had no measles cases at all. Last year immunisation rates dropped to 80% and many have died and thousands have been infected. Most were unvaccinated. Very sad that in this age of free information available to anybody, people chose to have dark ages beliefs.

Measles outbreak in Romania.

Measle s outbreak across Europe.

edit on 17-1-2018 by Agartha because: Added two links.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 06:37 AM
link   
This has been on the news here for a few days
katv.com...

new topics

top topics

join