It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Read the Letter Trump's Immigrant Grandpa Wrote Begging Not to Be Deported

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: badw0lf

originally posted by: hillbilly4rent

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
man who spent 30 years of his life in U.S. is deported

On Martin Luther King Jnr Day. Wife, kids, sobbing. A nation of s***holers we are.

Yep 30 years to become an American citizen that's awful.

Isn't it.. I worked in IT here years ago, and there was a lady, she was a cleaner at one of the campuses I worked at, she was from England.

One Australia day, she proudly came up to us and said she finally did it. She became a citizen.

She was beaming. Things had changed for her and it was settled. None of us even knew she wasn't already. But the fact she felt so happy about it, was awesome.

She didn't break in illegally, nor did she lie to stay, nor did she do anything wrong.

Do it right, why the hell is this such an issue to the left.

What is so important about the piece of paper?

This guy has raised kids, paid taxes, paid into the system there is no reason to deport him ,deporting him is dumb in my view. I would say about as dumb as needing to get married to have sex with someone. The priorities are just backwards, I guess that what happens in a society of people that hate others and like to see them hurt.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Dude had 30 years to get his # together.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 11:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: PainGod

He did get his # together, he got married, he raised a family, he paid tax , he held down a job, he stayed out of trouble, in fact he did far more for America than many entitled good for nothing Americans did..

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Interesting piece of history from the Trump family:

In November, a German tabloid unearthed a 1905 letter from Donald Trump's grandfather, Friedrich Trump, in which he begged German authorities not to deport him. The handwritten letter—originally in German—has now been translated and published in the latest issue of Harper's.

The elder Trump first emigrated to the US from the Bavarian town of Kallstadt in the German Empire in 1885 at the age of 16, illegally skipping out on mandatory military service (sounds familiar). That move lost him his citizenship, and he later became a US citizen where he made his fortune running brothels and bars during the Yukon gold rush.

Trump returned to his homeland in the early 1900s, but he was scheduled to be deported because of his draft-dodging history.

www.vice.com...

Seems fitting. The US is, after all, a nation of s***holers, to put it blunt. Trumps Grandfather fled country to country in search of a better life. Even to dodge military service. The Irish came across the Atlantic in droves from the then poverty stricken Emerald Isle. Potato famine anybody? Italians fleeing poverty and politics. Japanese Americans, no different. A nation of s***holers and that's the truth. Trumps ilk are no different but he's so quick to forget that, and so are many of his supporters unfortunately. Excuse after excuse.

Not saying borders should be open. Not saying laws should be ignored. These are different times I understand. But compassion, understanding, respect is much needed here. This revelation about Trumps ol' pop is nothing new, it's been circulating for months, but I think it's important to remind those who are quick to support him over whatever he says. He comes from a long line of s***holers himself and so do millions of others.

I think the dynamics of having a population in 1900 of only 76 Million versus 320 Million plus today, if someone wanted to have an HONEST conversation about immigration, ought to be part of that dialog.

Also, the fact that government entitlement spending was about 1/2 of 1% of total GDP in 1900 versus about 18% of GDP this year should also be part of that reasoning.

Comparing issues of immigration from the turn of the last century, to illegal immigration and the larger immigration debate in 2018 is a pretty dog gone big false equivalency... just sayin...

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 02:02 AM
link   
a reply to: dasman888

I think the dynamics

And I think I've covered this in the OP.

Not saying borders should be open. Not saying laws should be ignored. These are different times I understand. But compassion, understanding, respect is much needed here. This revelation about Trumps ol' pop is nothing new, it's been circulating for months, but I think it's important to remind those who are quick to support him over whatever he says. He comes from a long line of s***holers himself and so do millions of others.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not debating your points and I appreciate your efforts dasman. They just don't address the point of the OP.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 03:08 AM
link   
i just can't help but think of the field day the right would have it it came out that obamas grandfather was a pimp. they had a field day when they conspired that his real dad was a commie. yeah but sins of the father don't matter because teflon don and all. cult of personality.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 07:33 AM
link   

In November, a German tabloid unearthed a 1905 letter from Donald Trump's grandfather, Friedrich Trump, in which he begged German authorities not to deport him. The handwritten letter—originally in German—has now been translated and published in the latest issue of Harper's.

The elder Trump first emigrated to the US from the Bavarian town of Kallstadt in the German Empire in 1885 at the age of 16, illegally skipping out on mandatory military service (sounds familiar). That move lost him his citizenship, and he later became a US citizen where he made his fortune running brothels and bars during the Yukon gold rush.

Trump returned to his homeland in the early 1900s, but he was scheduled to be deported because of his draft-dodging history.

www.vice.com...

Seems fitting. The US is, after all, a nation of s***holers, to put it blunt. Trumps Grandfather fled country to country in search of a better life. Even to dodge military service. The Irish came across the Atlantic in droves from the then poverty stricken Emerald Isle. Potato famine anybody? Italians fleeing poverty and politics. Japanese Americans, no different. A nation of s***holers and that's the truth. Trumps ilk are no different but he's so quick to forget that, and so are many of his supporters unfortunately. Excuse after excuse.

No sympathy from me. My paternal grandfather from Europe ended up in Mexico and tried to cross the border, together with assorted Europeans, and they were not allowed in. Yet, you seem to think people from sh!thole countries should just be allowed in and receive today's government tax slave funded goodies like free medicine and all sorts of welfare. Get a grip mate!

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   

I think the obligatory "Trump has great genetics" should suffice for such a thread.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Seems fitting. The US is, after all, a nation of s***holers, to put it blunt. Trumps Grandfather fled country to country in search of a better life. Even to dodge military service.

Germany?
Ireland?
Italy?
Japan?

Seems to me, you are the one saying these are #ty countries.

I'm pretty sure neither of those were among the countries Trump had in mind.

Calling Germany a "#ty country" would be like calling Albert Einstein a stupid moron. Really.

No need to look further than the way USA grabbed all the German scientists they could get hold of after the war.

I'm guessing it wasn't because of their #ty qualities.
edit on 17-1-2018 by Uberdoubter because: Quote error.

edit on 17-1-2018 by Uberdoubter because: Minor edit.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

badw0lf,

I searched the definition not because I did not know what the main thrust of the words meaning was, but because I wanted to quote it verbatim to remove any ambiguity. The reason I felt this necessary, is because some halfwit who does not appreciate reality correctly was bound to come along and challenge my opinion of its meaning, as has unfortunately occurred before.

I felt therefore, that it would save some time to drop the actual definition, rather than having anyone have to rely solely on my "opinion" as to the meaning of the word.

My sincerest apologies if unarguable facts present a problem for your position which is so severe, that all you can do is attack my level of wit, despite being utterly ill equipped to do so. However, with the best possible will in the world, the level to which being proven wrong annoys you, is a problem for you to work on, and not something for you to bother me with.

edit on 17-1-2018 by TrueBrit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

What did i say that made you ask that? I see no words equating to "lie" in my post.

And here I will post the definition of the word you used to describe the commentary you were commenting on...

adjective: mendacious

not telling the truth; lying.
"mendacious propaganda"
synonyms: lying, untruthful, dishonest, deceitful, false, dissembling, insincere, disingenuous, hypocritical, fraudulent, double-dealing, two-faced, Janus-faced, two-timing, duplicitous, perjured, perfidious.

I think that may have been what Painterz was getting at.

Heh...nice try on expanding the vocabulary though, BFFT. The word was new to me as well.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   

What's really funny, is that Britain used to "deport" many of their criminal elements to the "colonies", like America and Australia, because they didn't want these "dregs" of society living within the civilized peoples in England, Scotland, and Wales.

So, early immigrants to America were often the same kind of people that America is now "deporting" back to other places.

Oh, well, the irony of it all is quite amusing.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: Painterz

What did i say that made you ask that? I see no words equating to "lie" in my post.

Odd that you do not know the definitions of the words you use?

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: PainGod

He did get his # together, he got married, he raised a family, he paid tax , he held down a job, he stayed out of trouble, in fact he did far more for America than many entitled good for nothing Americans did..
How does one pay taxes without a tax identification number?

Sure he did a lot of things...
Not one for the betterment of the nation only for the betterment of self. Had 30 years to become a legit citizen and didn't. Get em out of here! Far more productive sh*t holers out there.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat

Not saying laws should be ignored. These are different times I understand. But compassion, understanding, respect is much needed here.

So if laws aren't to be ignored and these are "different times" (what ever that means); what are the solutions needed to solve the problem while not ignoring laws and accepting these are different times.

There is no politician in Congress ranging from far-left to far-right that would not agree that our immigration system is broken. Congress completely and utterly lacks the political will to fix it. The fear mongering on the right and the appeal to emotion on the left that virtually all politicians have relied on rhetorically with regards to immigration has left them no room to compromise without blow-back from their respective bases.

Until the immigration system is fixed, compassionate, temporary exceptions are the only option for fairness.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: soberbacchus

There is no politician in Congress ranging from far-left to far-right that would not agree that our immigration system is broken.

The immigration system is not broken. People say that for political reasons.

The fact is that the immigration system is what it is because it's efficient the way it is.

You can't really fix it. You can only tamper with it.

You can't force people to immigrate to America.

If you tamper with the system that enables those that most want to come, you'll end up with people that least want to come here.

The energy and drive the new immigrants bring with them, is what drives the economy.

It's not just about talents and skills.

You can have very highly talented and skilled immigrants who are unmotivated because their "expectations" are too much higher than the reality of their new found working environment.

You need to find the right immigrants, that have just the right balance of "talent + skills + motivating energy".

The only way to find these people, is to leave things alone.

Otherwise you'll block the talent, or block the skills, or block the motivated ones.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980

How does one pay taxes without a tax identification number?

The better question is, how does one avoid paying taxes? And the answer is, you can't.

Sales tax, Sin tax, Property Tax, State tax..

It's also a fact many illegals do pay income taxes:

Nearly half, or 3.4 million, of those workers paid Social Security taxes, according to 2014 estimates from the Social Security administration. And while the agency doesn't have a figure for how much this group paid in taxes that year, it said that unauthorized immigrant workers and their employers contributed $13 billion in payroll taxes in 2010, its most current estimate

In order to file for a federal tax return, undocumented immigrants need to apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) from the Internal Revenue Service.

The IRS issues these numbers to individuals who must file taxes, but don't possess or aren't eligible for a Social Security number. ITINs are issued to people regardless of their immigration status. An ITIN doesn't give a person legal work authorization and doesn't provide eligibility for Social Security benefits, according to the IRS website.

money.cnn.com...

Sure he did a lot of things...

He's probably done more than many Americans. Who knows, he may have worked harder in his life than the vast majority of members on this very forum calling for mass deportations and cheering on Trump's s***hole comments.

Had 30 years to become a legit citizen and didn't.

How? He was never given that opportunity to become a citizen. Years spent and him knowing if he revealed himself he'd run the risk of deportation.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lagomorphe
How about looking towards the future instead of scraping the bottom out of the barrels past?

Warmest respects

Lags

Because it offers perspective, we should read the letter?

You sound remarkably like Barack Obama on his obligation to enforce federal law.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
a reply to: BotheLumberJack

Do the Saudi’s make laws governed by our constitution in Saudi Arabia?

You should watch The Gangs of New York.

You should stop watching so many movies and learn to differentiate between real life and Hollywood lies...
edit on 17-1-2018 by ElectricUniverse because: correct comment.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   

It's also a fact many illegals do pay income taxes:

Nearly half, or 3.4 million, of those workers paid Social Security taxes, according to 2014 estimates from the Social Security administration. And while the agency doesn't have a figure for how much this group paid in taxes that year, it said that unauthorized immigrant workers and their employers contributed $13 billion in payroll taxes in 2010, its most current estimate

In order to file for a federal tax return, undocumented immigrants need to apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) from the Internal Revenue Service.

Yeah, well except that that CNN article fails to come with the truth that those ITIN that illegals get are all stolen... Illegal immigration fuels many crimes, and among them "identity theft" is among the largest crime that illegal immigration brings to the U.S.

But of course CNN had to leave that truth out, and of course you also had to leave that truth out...

I wonder what does happen to all those AMERICANS and legal residents whose identity are stolen so that illegal immigrants can file taxes and deprive good people of their identity?... How much money, and time do good legal Americans and residents have to spend trying to resolve the problem of their identity being stolen so that illegal immigrants can feed off the hard work and the time that it took legal Americans and residents to get their credit scores in good standing?...

But of course, Americans and legal immigrants are the bad people here, and illegal immigrants are the only good and hard working people...

edit on 17-1-2018 by ElectricUniverse because: add and correct comment.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join