It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple Goodness here!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Spread the word.

www.consumerreports.org...

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I wonder why they didnt have Sun Solaris, or HP/UX or BSD or FreeBSD on there huh? maybe because they dont break down as much???

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 09:29 AM
link   
it's true apple computers can be a drag, but i still find them to be the best at what they do. especially now since i tend to only work with macs.

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 01:57 PM
link   
hey, don't dis the Apple-y goodness. Macs are the best, and with each update of OS X, just keep getting better.

/drank the kool-aid

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Go apple!

Dell didnt do too badly either

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grommer
I wonder why they didnt have Sun Solaris, or HP/UX or BSD or FreeBSD on there huh? maybe because they dont break down as much???

Perhaps because those are non-consumer operating systems, and not consumer computer hardware?

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I agree,... macs rule...

I usually build my own computer systems... match the right components to my needs... I've never had any problems with my systems...

Linux/Unix on macs or PC's so it doesn't matter to me what hardware i use... but macs are very very stable machines... Haven't tried any newer mac hardware but i assume that it is also very stable... only setback when buying a mac is that they are too expensive... then again you are buying quility hardware.

William... man i love your avatar...

Peace,

MrFreeze

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Sony is the best and they have proven it, by out performing in entertainment as well as laptops. I am waiting for them to create a desk top, but not holding my breath.

[Edited on 1-7-2003 by ADVISOR]

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 02:54 PM
link   
No No! you are wrong.
There is nothing better than Apple laptop: stunning design, best operating system on planet, good battery life.

macs rule, check out www.apple.com/macosx and www.apple.com/powermac now that G5 is out.

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
Sony is the best and they have proven it, by out performing in entertainment as well as laptops. I am waiting for them to create a desk top, but not holding my breath.

I'd have to disagree with you there. I've had an iBook (third revision, blueberry) for the past 3 years and the thing is utterly bombproof. in the event of a nuclear war, the only things left on earth will be Cher, cockroaches and my iBook. it's been dropped, tripped over, spilled on, sat on, rained on, and still runs as well as the day I bought it. oh yeah, and it's cute, too
I've heard similar stories about the newer iBooks, but the TiBooks are more fragile. of course, they're sooo powerful...like portable editing suites. :drools:

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR

Sorry mate,

WAITING for a sony desktop? Not holding your breath?

Check this... LINK to sony desktops

Hmmm... they have been around for a couple of years now...

But i disagree... Playstations are perfect... but for personal computing i like to build my own systems or buy macintosh hardware...

But that's my opinion...

Peace,

MrFreeze

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 03:16 PM
link   
geez, touchy touchy, I wasnt even dissin on the Macs just curious why they didnt at least put a Linux/Unix on there. There are several desktop oriented Linux distributions out there.

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 03:28 PM
link   

geez, touchy touchy, I wasnt even dissin on the Macs just curious why they didnt at least put a Linux/Unix on there. There are several desktop oriented Linux distributions out there.

Hmmm.. MacOSX is BSD... and there are a lot of unices and linux distros that work on macs - m68k and PPC - i think allmost all "real" distributions can be installed on a mac.

If your question is why didn't they provide linux for macs in the past... then the answer is the same as modern day computers PC and Mac... they sell windows and and macosX with new computers (they make money on these commercial products)... linux is usually for experienced users only... and available for free or a small fee (when buying prefab cd's).

Peace

MrFreeze

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 03:32 PM
link   
one thing's for sure, macs are beating the pc on design and efficiency in system programs - plus the mac is the only computer lately that has actually become stylish/fashionable what with the new designs and specs that keep coming out with new models.

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 03:37 PM
link   
i must not be making myself clear. I'm aware that mac osx is based off of BSD and that most *nix distros will install on a mac. what I was questioning is why they didnt test a Linux distro on there as it is gaining a lot of ground in the desktop area. I wouldnt say that Linux is for more advanced users. People think that because the whole system just works a little different than what people are used to. There are distro's out there that are specifically meant for desktop use i.e Mandrake, Red Hat. I'm an avid Linux user and have been considering purchasing a mac as a laptop, and to be honest, I'm more intimidated with a mac than I am with *nix

and you're right, those new macs are lookin pretty sexy!

[Edited on 1-7-2003 by Grommer]

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Hehehe...See I use a multitude of OS's daily... I use Linux Redhat 8.0, Mac OSX, Mac OS 9.0, Windows XP and Windows 98. They all have their ups and downs.
I had a discussion with a friend recently and we came up with the following.
Windows is great as long as you want to do what the computer tells you to do.
Mac is great if you want the computer to do what you tell it to do.
And finally linux is great if you want the computer to do what you tell it to do and to look the way you want it to.

Like I said they all have thier points. At home I use linux about 99% of the time, as does my wife and children, we had used the mac about 50% of the time until it went to mac-heaven.
As for hardware I have parts that came out of my imac in my linux machine along with pc parts.

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 03:48 PM
link   
If you know how to use linux... you have nothing to fear from macs... easy to use... Just be shure to check out the howto's for installing linux on a mac... it's not exactly like installing it in a pc... just read the howto and there's nothing to fear.... works like a charm... you can also run it alongside your macOS 9 or X.

Dit it and loved it on m68k macs... and a power mac... works like a charm.

Peace,

MrFreeze

P.S. Hooked on debian linux...

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 03:51 PM
link   
actually, the ones I#ve been looking at come with MacOSX, and I was planning on keeping it on there to give it a whirl. if it's anything nearly close to linux/unix, then it should be interesting. is there much command line interfacing, or is it mostly gui?

K_OS, how in the world did you get your family on it?
the wife is using win xp and I hop on her box to do some gaming every now and then.

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 03:56 PM
link   

K_OS, how in the world did you get your family on it?
the wife is using win xp and I hop on her box to do some gaming every now and then.

I formatted the hard drive
. I really did, it was an accident. I put windows back on the small hard drive but my children have a way of rendering Windows inoperable so I have it set up so that they log into linux only. As for my wife she is pretty flexible, after I showed her the basics she was all for it. (I don't think she likes windows anyway).

Oh yeah I use vmware to run windows 98 under linux for any Windows games I want to play. They all work fine and when (notice I didn't say if) windows crashes it doesn't take down my whole comp.

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 03:58 PM
link   
heheh, I frequent this forum called Polycount. They are all 3d artists, and GAME GEEKS. Well one of the geeks posted about the new G5's and was immediatly ripped by these hardcore peecee users. Calling it a paper weight, etc. Well The funny thing is the one guy mentioned in 10 years he had 5 peecees (and he was defending PeeCees?????), I know people who are still on color classics. Why? casue it still fits their everyday needs

top topics

<<   2 >>

join