It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What I think of on MLK day

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Regardless of your personal beliefs, its obvious that we are at a very divided time in our country both politically and racially.

There is a lot to be said about why, and what steps we should take.

But sometimes its nice to look at a great person and be inspired by what their life has taught us.

MLK was such a man.

Recently, details have came out that maybe he wasnt faithful to his wife.

Like every human being ever, he was not perfect. He had flaws that may have affected the people in his life.

But the symbol of what he stood for, and the bravery and heart that it took to stand up for what is right, is truly inspiring to me.

When I think of MLK though, it reminds me of something else.

What does it mean to be a great American, a great person?

I will give just two examples that I mean from the bottom of my heart that MLK reminds me of.

To the black slaves that were freed, and asked only for a chance to work hard to be successsful at life. They had every right to ask for more, to seek retribution. But many of them didnt.

Despite being given almost every disadvantage in the world, they succeeded for themselves and families by working harder than others to make up for the disadvantages. These Americans showed everything that is great in humanity; a work ethic, love of family, a stregth of character that I could only dream of having.

These people are an inspiration to me. If I could have one tenth of the character they had, I would be honored.

The other group stems from that.

It is people, no matter the color, but obviously blacks included, that grow up in terrible conditions in the inner city, that despite all odds succeed in life through hard work, dedication, and a strength of character that is unbelievable.

I know for a fact that if I was born into a violent inner city, I would have fell in with the wrong crowd and forsaked school and other things. I have succumbed to peer pressure and self pity and my upbringing, although poor, was very privileged.

These people that escape that violence and achieve great things in life to me represent the ideal American; strong, smart, self liberty and responsibility, the ability to succeed under the harshest of situations.

So on this MLK, I dont just think of the great man himself, but also the other strong black people that I have mentioned.

I am honored to have shared the same country and world with such great people.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Will power, bravery, hard work (effort), pain/suffering. It’s these USELESS ideals that everyone looks at to judge whether or not someone is worthy of anything in this reality. But these kind of ideals only exist in a world of FORCED limitation where you constantly have to do sh** you don’t want to do in an attempt be remotely comfortable or to change things so the future is better for yourself and others.

Not interested in this nonsense anymore.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlukeSkywalker
Will power, bravery, hard work (effort), pain/suffering. It’s these USELESS ideals that everyone looks at to judge whether or not someone is worthy of anything in this reality. But these kind of ideals only exist in a world of FORCED limitation where you constantly have to do sh** you don’t want to do in an attempt be remotely comfortable or to change things so the future is better for yourself and others.

You will not find utopia in this life.

Achieving in life does require effort, will power, overcoming pain and suffering.

To reject that means to reject a chance at a meaningful life.

Dont give up on that, strive to work towards your ideals and make this world a better place.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 08:59 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

originally posted by: FlukeSkywalker

You will not find utopia in this life.

Achieving in life does require effort, will power, overcoming pain and suffering.

To reject that means to reject a chance at a meaningful life.

Dont give up on that, strive to work towards your ideals and make this world a better place.

No.

edit on 15-1-2018 by FlukeSkywalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

What? No White Privilege in your thoughts today?

You don't feel to get your guilt on, empty your wallet to pay restitution for your great great great great great grandfather's era of economic labor in the South brought to the New World from the old Roman Empire? Your urge to restitute, maybe even go find a BLM gathering so they can beat and abuse you, hasn't passed your mind on this day?

MLK would be rolling over in his grave if he could see the stupidity done in his name nowadays.
edit on 15-1-2018 by TinfoilTP because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Sure i will ger flamed but.

Mlk was a great man who made massive moves forward for black Americans. What annoys me is someone starts trying to maje any white pride, or steps to protect whites they are instantly nazis, white supremists, white nationalists, kkk etc.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Good intentions don't always go over well, or well received it looks like in this case OP. I see where you're coming from though, so it's all good.

Not everyone who gains employment is treated fairly, most are exploited due to willingness to advance in the company, even to be a 'team player'...people get taken advantage of unfairly, everywhere and have seen it with my own eyes.

It's a disease for sure.

Of course these are critical factors - THE critical factors - in remission. This conclusion is simple common sense, based on everyone’s experiences and observations of life. And realizing this truth - that people’s personal resources, support systems, and future opportunities, taken together, predict remission from drug addiction - leads to the best treatment, and the best policy.

Well that came out of left field

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Because thats exactly what they usually turned out to be,
And where is this imginary oppression of white ppl coming from,
Dude look around you in any sphere of sociaty what do you think you have lost?? Others gains do not make your demise, repeat after me, white genocide is not a thing, white genocide is not a thing.

secondly Mlk wasent just about blk ppl, just before he got killed, pls tell the class what was he doing and organizing with, pls explain to the class his stance on the war in Vietnam.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Well, as there is a Whole World out side of the USA.......I didnt even Know there was an MLK day....

Whenever I see Martin Luther King mentioned, I always think of a German Protestant reformist, the Lutheran Church and some Boxing promoter Dr. Mr. King....

And MLK...thats "MLK Ultra" isnt it? Some CIA mind bending experiment?

As you can tell, your MLK means little outside the USA.....sorry people.

But enjoy your day anyway.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 01:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: gort51
Well, as there is a Whole World out side of the USA.......I didnt even Know there was an MLK day....

Whenever I see Martin Luther King mentioned, I always think of a German Protestant reformist, the Lutheran Church and some Boxing promoter Dr. Mr. King....

And MLK...thats "MLK Ultra" isnt it? Some CIA mind bending experiment?

As you can tell, your MLK means little outside the USA.....sorry people.

But enjoy your day anyway.

And "God save the queen" means please go to the tranny shows so they can pay their rent, and buy a new outfit.
We also have the 4th of July, that's meaningless outside the US. What's your point?

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Coltrane's version of MLK's Alabama speech:

new topics

top topics

join