It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Shed 18

page: 178
<< 175  176  177    179  180  181 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Mike Stivic

Tell me about it. The new contest is about rain. I already made a depressing poem about rain, no need to visit that cold, wet and dark place again. Hopefully...

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

Lol, that was supposed to be a reply to Shep, i fixed it.

But yeah, I can do rhymes off the cuff on a given subject,

But a story, that's a whole other ball of wax for me, I really have to be "feeling it" to even start.

Respectfully,
~meathead
edit on 4-4-2018 by Mike Stivic because: spell check

edit on 4-4-2018 by Mike Stivic because: wow, it's gonna. be one of those days I guess

ETA:
Thank you whoever gave me my 100 flag..lol..that 99 was killing my Ocd.. I may never make another thread now that even number really relaxes me

edit on 4-4-2018 by Mike Stivic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Finspiracy and everyone else

Nice to read that you are going without the antidepressants now. As I have been off of them since late February I can sympathize with you as to how much of our thoughts are taken away from those pills. The doctors push the same pills on us for years not telling us the truth about them. That they are for short-term use only. They are designed to be a quick fix to help with mental health issues but are not the end-all solution.

Coming off of the meds has given me back some of the life I once had, that if using my brain. For now, I wait for society to catch up with me as I await my Social Security hearing and a call back from the state rehab department to see what they can do to help me get my life back together without medication.

For now, I do what I can to keep busy such as my newly found hobby and potential income source at My Fine Arts America Page.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mike Stivic
I'm not very good at the writers contests.
It's hard for me to be given a theme and try to write.
When I do write it's more organic than "here's a topic, write about it and make it seem like you care!"...

Well Joe, I care.
I try to encourage young, inexperienced writers to expand and explore.
I try to encourage established writers to venture into areas that they hadn't even thought of before.
Independent, "organic" creation is amazing and brilliant, (and something that I enjoy and contribute to with things like the shed story (from the beginning!) but please don't imply that our writers contests are just "here's a topic, write about it"
A lot of thought (and HARD f*cking work!) goes into these contests.

If you personally don't like to participate - that's fine.
But to write it off and diminish its worth with a statement like that is pretty uncool IMHO.

kindest regards,
G

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   
For Joe...

"Sleeping dogs bark the loudest."
---Archie Bunker

When it's your time to write, the words will come to you and not before, my friend.

edit on 4 4 2018 by LookingForABetterLife because: (no reason given)

edit on 4 4 2018 by LookingForABetterLife because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Gordi The Drummer

Wow ! No!

Please my friend please accept my sincerest apologies!

I think I may have worded my post wrong , so I understand your reaction..

But please know that I meant no insult or any diminishing of anything.

I RESPECT AND ENCOURAGE ALL THE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE CONTESTS,
I think as a whole they add a lot to the character of the site, and there are some true gems,
Highly polished, that gleam like the bright jewels they are..

If your waiting for the but..

There isn't one.

I simply meant to convey that I need to feel passionate to write,
And my response was to shep in regards to encouraging my participation.

I think a look at my post history would tell you it's not in my character to demean any creative endeavor.

I apologize again my friend for my poor wording and lack of communication skills..

I HIGHLY RESPECT YOU AND EVERYONE ELSES PERSONAL CREATIONS!

that's not me yelling or raising my voice that is me trying to impress upon you how much your comment stung my heart..I'm not that guy gordi ..

/super-duper-heartfelt-icemelt-energetic-apologetic- platonic-lostinphonics-respectful-and regretful-HUGS brother.

Sincerely,
~Joe
edit on 4-4-2018 by Mike Stivic because: removed my normal sign of to reflect my emotional discontent and the gravitas I feel

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 05:42 PM
link   

"here's a topic, write about it and make it seem like you care!"

That's what my post was responding to Joe.
Seems pretty straight forward to me.

If you have any advice on how to run the writers contests without suggesting a topic - I'd Love to hear it.

In the meantime, I'll continue to challenge and encourage our writers as before.

G

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingForABetterLife
For Joe...

"Sleeping dogs bark the loudest."
---Archie Bunker

When it's your time to write, the words will come to you and not before, my friend.

Love it! It may replace my phones wallpaper from your meathead pic!

Gotta love Archie's misquotes

I have an old paper back book I need to dig out of my boxes in the basemeent ..it's nothing but Archie bunker quotes..
Some really funny ones..

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Bro,
I know what I wrote and I have apologized for my poor choice of words, they did not convey my feelings clearly,I understand your reaction.

Again I am truly sorry it was not my intent to diminish the contests , how they are run, or discourage any participation .

I'm gonna log off.. the feeling I have right now is a mix of sorrow and confusion.

I'm sorry Gordi.

Sincerely,
~Joe

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 06:10 PM
link   

OK Joe,
I hear what you're saying.
I will try and just accept that, as I know that you're a straight-up guy.

I have been through a lot of sh*t with the writers contests and I may be a little bit over-sensitive about it, so I shall make allowances for viewing this from my own limited perspective.

On a side note:
I don't get any reward for running these things.
I do it because I genuinely believe that it helps new inexperienced writers to grow.
Some of the stories that have been created in these contests are unbelievably brilliant.

Q: Would they have been written if I hadn't staged the contests?

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Friend, we are all friends here. Please do not log off, or at least, not for too long. Keyboards can be difficult and the true meanings and intentions behind our words ever more so. Gordi can be a bit touchy-feely, but he's Scottish. Let us be forgiving.

(He irritates me too sometimes
)

ETA I'm kidding, everyone here is sweeter than marzipan (which I cannot eat because it makes me puke!)

edit on 4/4/18 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver
...Gordi can be a bit touchy-feely, but he's Scottish. Let us be forgiving.
(He irritates me too sometimes
)

ETA I'm kidding, everyone here is sweeter than marzipan (which I cannot eat because it makes me puke!)

?
Is it me?
Seriously?
I need to know.
G

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 06:34 PM
link   

It ain't you or anyone else. Embrace it. Or douse it it with Whisky and Irn-Bru.

ETA Language barrier maybe? I've been in NL for 25 years plus, sometime they just don't "get me" even though I speak their language. Sad but true.
edit on 4/4/18 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

Hey Light,
I appreciate you trying to diffuse things, but it's honestly not required.
At least... I hope it isn't!

Joe said something that I took offense to, and he has since apologised - so I think we're good.
I don't think that it was his intention to make light of the story contests and I'm aware that I might be a wee bit sensitive about it, so I'm happy to draw a line under it.

I'm sorry if I escalated a situation unnecessarily.
(i'm usually the guy trying to diffuse these things!! LOL)

I shall have a wee dram, and a few deep breaths.

Joe - we're fine bro.

G

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gordi The Drummer
I don't get any reward for running these things.
I do it because I genuinely believe that it helps new inexperienced writers to grow.

Yeah. All i can do is say thank you and give some stars. I am thankful, you arranging these contests, so that i can participate. It stimulates my imagination and creativity and helps me to further practice my English skills.

I hope that you keep doing this. Because yesterday i decided, that no matter what the topic for the next contest is, i am going to make it something positive. I have participated twice. First i was a murder witness and next a good man dies and was given some hard time. So even if the topic is something horrifying, i am going to flip it around and try to make it positive.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Hugs bro,
I hope it's water under the bridge, I want you to know I am sorry.

I haven't participated in a contest since I moved to vermont, I read the entries.but not the announcements.
I had no idea you ran them.now it makes sense to me know why you were taking my comment so personally.
I was to admit,bewildered.

And it makes perfect sense in light of you revealing you have been questioned in your handling of the contests..

Again I had no idea.

All in all I'd like to rephrase my original statement..;

"I need to feel passionate about the story and topic or I cannot write, and I have a hard time writing stories off the cuff, for me a story has to Stew in my brain for a few months and marinate. But the abundance of talent and the truly awesome works that emanate from the contests never ceases to amaze me!"

/HugsGordi-ohlordy-timeslip-rickandmorty-workingitout-withoutshouts-Hugs man

Respectfully,
~meathead
edit on 4-4-2018 by Mike Stivic because: fixing spell check

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 07:13 PM
link   

You have the best cyber hugs Joe 😆... always endearing and entertaining to read. They make me smile.. thank you for that !

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

/looks down blushing and finds a pebble to prod around with his toe, as he shuffles uncomfortably..

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 07:27 PM
link   

I"m glad that yous love it. It took me a bit of time to find the right photo to use esp. with his chair.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingForABetterLife

My mother's father was a beat cop in Elizabeth new Jersey for 30 years before he was promoted to detective.
Me and my mother always reminisce about his facial expressions and mannerisms being so similar to the character of
Archie.. And to be honest my grand father could have been Carroll O'Connor's stunt double..

My gramps was a real character and practical joker. He often would misquote old proverbs on purpose..
But my absolute favorite thing he would say that always made me laugh was always in response to me or my sister
Doing something dumb ..

Us: "but grandma I thought if I.."

/angry grandma..

Grandpa: "you thought like nellie, thought cat -snip- was jelly!"

/Grandma cracks a smile

/everyone laughs

He was a good man...

Respectfully,
~meathead

new topics

top topics

<< 175  176  177    179  180  181 >>