It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Shed 18

page: 173
<< 170  171  172    174  175  176 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Finspiracy

That was sort of the gist of the group - we were a vocal jazz group that focused on the heyday of jazz - 30's, 40's, 50's mostly, although we pulled from other decades as well. We did Irving Berlin's Puttin' on the Ritz from the 20's I believe, My Girl by the Four Tops from the 60's, and one of our band-only features was Birdland by Weather Report, recorded in the 70s. Super fun times. The one photo of me in the blue short-sleeve was during a feature piece I was privileged to do with one of the female singers and one of the male singers, although he played guitar on our trio. We did Gershwin's Summertime from Porgy and Bess in a slow, bluesy feel. It was one of the highlights of my playing career.

Entertaining story from my time with that group. Our arrangement of Summertime began with me playing an embellished version of the melody once through, then the guitar would enter and the singer would start. On one particular gig, I played the opening as normal. When Steve came in with the guitar, I realized he was in a different key than I had started in. I had to transpose the rest of the piece down a 1/2 step. It was actually really cool - I didn't realize I had it in me to pull that off on the fly, but I made it to the end with only a couple horrific off-tones coming out the end of the horn.
One rule of improvisation: "Any note is permissible if you resolve it correctly!"

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: PrairieShepherd

Great memory and thanks for sharing it. Music is either a passion or a background thing as far as I can see in the people I have met. I can't play at all (and haven't touched my bass in more than 2 years, no formal education, can't read music either) but I can hear it. I feel it. Genre ain't too important but don't go all Michael Jackson on me, I hate throw-away pop and all the mainstream. Beyonce and Jay Z? Please no.

Some of the better musicians aren't always mainstream either. Dudes playing gigs word of mouth. I wish I could play...

Here's a multi-instrumentalist that performs in the US.

edit on 2/4/18 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Well, you kept THAT quiet!! LOL

Naughty Shep! Go to the Naughty Step.... no, hang on...

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Gordi The Drummer

Didn't I mention I was a musician at any point?
Not a whole lot of gigs for trumpet players, though. At least, not regular ones that pull down decent $$. You have to be in the top 1% of the top 1% to get a make-a-living-at-it paycheck as a trumpet player. I was good, but not that good.

I have had some entertaining gigs though. Played the fanfare for the VIP dinner when the Titanic museum exhibit came to my state. My favorite gig though was playing the call to the post at the local horse track. I wore a red wool jacket and equine helmet, and played a natural trumpet - no valves. I was even on ESPN once for that gig - LOL.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   

I'm sure that you mentioned playing "something" in passing, when Tom and I were working on one of our collaborations... but you kind of played it down a bit!

You can't beat the thrill of playing it live! (I'd probably do it for nothing, but Don't Tell Anyone!!)

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Well, you gotta understand - my standard for "good" is "recording artist", so I fall short. I also have the self-esteem of a wilted carrot on my best days, so when it comes to myself I tend to play things down. LOL

Don't get me wrong - I would play for free too, and for most of my playing years I did. I was paid at Easter (churches pay big $$ for good brass players on Easter) and the horse track paid really well also. But most gigs were weddings or community band/orchestra/theater/opera/jazz kind of stuff that I just did for fun. Programming pays the bills. At least until I make it big as an author (ha!).

Nothing beats live. And I LOVE to improvise, especially the slow ballad style like I was doing with that vocal jazz group. I'm not very good at it - improv is one of my weakest skills - but I loved doing it, even if I sucked!

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Well, IMHO there are a lot of GREAT musicians playing for peanuts in the pubs & clubs, churches & race tracks! AND there are a lot of Sh*t recording artists!
Like many modern things, the music industry has been corrupted by the mighty dollar!

I'm at my happiest in good company around a campfire with a few drinks and a guitar or two - playing for nothing more than the sheer joy of it! (...and the babes! Obviously!!! LOL)

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Loved the music and interaction of Sheddites here today!
Was that Jess I saw in here today? OMG!

Glad no one can see me today. My eyes are watery and swollen, my nose looks like Rudolph and my hair looks like it hasn't been combed in days. Doesn't look like I'll be getting out tomorrow as planned with my Sister. Just leave me in the corner and I promise to keep my snots to myself.

I'm the type that would dance in a store or out in the rain to make people laugh. Depending on my pain level of course. A sense of humor is vital in this crazy world.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

I'll get onto making you a nice hot-toddy... Gordi-Style!

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Sounds wonderful Gordi! I'm going to go lie down for a while now. Sorry I'm holding the story up.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

I'll tuck you in.... but keep a hand free for holding your toddy!

The story can wait..... OR... We'll KILL your characters off!!!! mwahahaaaa!!!!!

J/K!

Gx

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   

This is very true - some of the best musicians I have ever played with have never been paid at all and have no desire to. I respect that.

Babes don't usually go ga-ga- over trumpet players. That is, unless they have had one before and know the great trumpet playing secret:
We have extremely strong lips and tongues!!! Shhh, don't tell!!!

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 04:09 PM
link   
/me stares longingly at the bushes. No pun intended!

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Blue and Lounge Kitty dropping by to say hello to everyone as I try to stay off of my foot today due to the pain level that kept me up most of the night.

Many things for the kind words I've received from my friends here.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Sneaks in the back door. Looks around.
No one here? Humprf.
Goes to the kitchen grabs some sandwiches and the freshly made cookies on the table. OOOHHH a pie!!! Mine, my precious. Peach pie and sour crème.
Contemplates who this was made for and forgets it.
Wanders in to the commen room, plops down in the biggest squeshy chair in front of a roaring fire and waits for company.
Lovely pixies are bringing me straight uisge beatha and Guinness.

Tell me a story, weave a wee tale.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: WalkInSilence

That's my spot...

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: WalkInSilence

Peach and sour cream? Whatever happened to apple pie and vanilla ice-cream? I don't like peaches.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: WalkInSilence

...Tell me a story, weave a wee tale.

Once upon a time there was a wee pixie who was asked tae bring Uisge Beatha and Guinness, but she was never wan tae follow the rules, so she added Champagne to the Guinness to create a Black Velvet, and put a little Drambuie in the Whisky to create a Rusty Nail, and she giggled as her "victim" sniffed her drinks and smiled... because her victim knew a good drink when it was put in front of her.
The rest of the evening was a bit of a blur, but it involved Hot Chocolate Fudge Cake, Fresh Whipped Cream and an inflatable donkey...

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   

I must ask, what happened to the donkey? Was it wearing a purple onesie at the time?

ETA Oh come on Uncle Gordi, please one more chapter before bed!

edit on 2/4/18 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

Well, to be honest... that inflatable donkey was a bit of a let-down!

<< 170  171  172    174  175  176 >>

join