It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you have a plan?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: ni91ck
a reply to: DerBeobachter

So I live near you(venlo) in Maastricht you have an old Nato nuclear bunker. Maybe we can both go there. You can take a tour there with a guide. Because it's big. But who will bomb Maastricht?

I hope Smoky survives, no matter anymore then that is a tourist trap...

Btw, i live in Cologne(we have some bunkers too xD), not Venlo, but i know Maastricht and Venlo, was often there.

Yeah, if SHTF i can visit you at that bunker, will just have to travel through the forest.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   
My plan: hold my kids, and kiss our asses goodbye. I dont want them to live in a post nuke world, and I dont want to be alive without them.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: ni91ck

Yes, we are moving to the country, away from major cities, and I hope to start planting a food forest and cold cellar.

So, I completed a nukemap to determine what our chances may be, depending upon wind direction, of course, and calculating for a 500 kiloton nuclear bomb blast.

Results Via airblast:
Fallout: Your choice of burst height is too high to produce significant local fallout. The minimum burst height to produce appreciable fallout for a yield of 500 kiloton is 0.66 km.

Results Via surface blast: I hope we are not downwind at the time, but if we are we will get close to 100 rads per hour.

Important: Radiation is accumulative and you must know if the measurements you are looking at is for a single dose or a per hour dosage - This will make a significant difference to the danger you are in at the time. Radiation exposure intensity over X time can vary the outcome of possible health risks and the information below is merely an average guide. Breathing in radiation or eating contaminated food/drink is a lot worse than direct body exposure.

During a nuclear disaster the serious accumulative radiation danger level you are looking for is 1 Sv (1000 mSv).
This is the point where you will become ill and risk serious health issues or latent death.
Remember that 100 mSv/hour for 10 hours will give you 1000 mSv total - the maximum risk level.

A dose of under 100 rad will typically produce no immediate symptoms other than blood changes. 100 to 200 rad delivered to the entire body in less than a day may cause acute radiation syndrome, (ARS) but is usually not fatal. Doses of 200 to 1,000 rad delivered in a few hours will cause serious illness with poor outlook at the upper end of the range. Whole body doses of more than 1,000 rad are almost invariably fatal.[3] Therapeutic doses of radiation therapy are often given and well tolerated even at higher doses to treat discrete and well defined anatomical structures. The same dose given over a longer period of time is less likely to cause ARS. Dose thresholds are about 50% higher for dose rates of 20 rad/h, and even higher for lower dose rates.[4]

nuclearsecrecy.com...

U.S. intelligence observed the detonation of an "advanced nuclear device" equivalent to 140 kilotons of TNT, according to The Diplomat. On the other hand, Norwegian Seismic Array reportedly projected an explosion of about 120 kilotons, Japan reported 70 kilotons and South Korea said it was 50 kilotons. Others have put the number as high as 500 kilotons.

The “seven-ten” rule – For every sevenfold increase in time after the initial blast, there is a tenfold decrease in the radiation rate. For example, a 500 rad level can drop to 50R in just 7 hours and down to 5R after 2 days (49 hours). In other words, if you have shelter with good shielding and stay put for even just 7 hours … you’ve really increased your chances of survival. Your detection devices, emergency radio or cell phone [if the last 2 are working, that is] can assist you in knowing when it’s safe to come out.

www.newsweek.com...

radiationsurvival.blogspot.ca...

en.wikipedia.org...(unit)

itsadisaster.wordpress.com...

------------------

I hope we can overcome our differences and negotiate world peace.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I live in a city that is regularly on the lists for top targets so I doubt I would even know.

I think it would be better to just be vaporized in a fraction of a second then to be afraid and upset before I leave my shadow on the ground

But I do have fire arms water and food for a week or so.

If the world is tottaly screwed I think you'd know in a two week t

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 05:03 PM
link   
All around the world: many of us have multiple nuclear warheads pointing at our heads. All programmed, and primed for launch, just waiting for the right codes to be punched-in.
-
We live-out our days in oblivious bliss of this idea.
-
Nuclear armament is insanity, and hard for our beautiful humanity to comprehend.
-
Plans? We're all toast.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I hope one day there will be wise people on the top and no clowns. Get rid of all the weapons # and send it to the sun. But who am I. Just a spot in the universe.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Dont really need a plan....

live on a 180hectare plot near a town with a population of 2000, 400km from any other town and 2000km from any major city. Already have an underground bore for water, livestock for food and barter, horses for transport, a good knowledge of local native edibles grains/tuburs/mangrove worm.

The previous owner of the house was an eccentric, paranoid about strangers coming to steal something from him so he built the house with 12" thick reinforced concrete walls and giant steel doors,there are chokepoints and deadzones and a 360 degree lookout type thing in the roof its like a god damn fortress.

Because properties are so spread out... neighbours form rural fire brigades that cover certain sectors, wouldnt be hard to in turn create militias or 'patrol' units, nearly everyone has a gun or 3 as well..
My brigade consists of 6 landholders who have already agreed upon this as a contingency.

Could never live in a bunker though.

I remember reading somewhere that the northern hemisphere could blast themselves into pretty pieces of glass but because of differing air currents or some such thing the southern hemisphere would avoid much of the fallout?

Hope this is true otherwise im jumping head first off a cliff, radiation poisoning doesnt look fun

My fear is the aftermath of a nuclear war that isnt a world destroying apocalypse but that in which as a result key countries are destablized enough to alllow an invading force to conquer my country, the ole resource wars and stuff.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I've got an Army field manual and Surivival book by by John 'Lofty' Wiseman. I've got food for weeks and good on water. Dogs for protection. Bikes and motorbike for transport. Short term I'm good. Long term move north into Canada.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 11:48 PM
link   
All interesting stuff. Make some copies that i can work with. Helpful people here. Thx to you all. Have a nice day. Greetz from the Netherlands.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 12:15 AM
link   
After seeing this thread yesterday I asked my co-workers and friends what they would do if a misslie was headed our way. Most of them seemed to just be resigned to their fate. What will be will be.
I would pour myself whiskey, sit down and wait for what comes next. There isn't a lot of places to really go for me.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   
This topic has been so heavily propagandized that there is hardly any room for rational thought, amongst West Europeans and Americans.

"Nuclear War" is a huge topic, and there are a variety of scenarios. WWII was certainly a nuclear war; it ended with a very low yield in megatons being deployed against a civilian populace. A future conflict might look very different.

The liberal faction in the West spent decades and billions of credits to convince us all that:

1). a nuclear war is unwinnable
2). a nuclear war is unsurviveable
3). a post-nuclear world is worse than death.

and therefore,

4). all preparations and planning are useless.

They told us this because they were in fact pro- Soviet, and wanted to keep the West (and especially the USA) from ever planning to win against the SU. The fact is that US nuclear ability was vastly superior to Soviet power, and that the US would come up as the eventual winner in practically any scenario. So the pro- Soviet faction had to convince us that if we did fight, "all is lost."`

If you study the massive environmental contamination following the nuclear meltdown at Chernobyl, it closely mimics the effects of "nuclear creep," a war-game scenario in which NATO and the SU start with limited nuke detonations to control the German Plateau and Fulda Gap. Each time one side begins to lose, it unleashes a few more nukes than it did in the previous round. This leads to a pervasive buildup of fallout, even as civilian infrastructure is more or less intact.

Now compare that with human survival rates in a 250km radius of the Chernobyl reactor. The Soviets originally believed they would have to evacuate the entire region, to a man. In fact, many of the inhabitants never even left their homes. Within 3 years, levels of background radiation (outside of "hotspots" caused by rain run-off), were down to near natural levels. And while cancer rates among the children who were present are elevated, the mortality rate from various cancers still trails heart disease.

To make a short story long, if you are a European, or especially an American, you have been trained since birth to cease all rational thought when the word "nuke" is pronounced.

You are the victim of propaganda from the Cold War.

the whole point of survival or prepper thinking, is to prepare for the worst case scenario, and plan for dealing with a catastrophe, salvaging something out of the mayhem.

What is your plan for surviving a house-fire? Pour yourself a whisky and kiss your children good-bye? What is your plan for surviving an earthquake--to hang yourself? Do you plan to freeze to death if the heat goes out in your apartment?

It's obviously true that you won't survive a missile that comes screaming down out of the clear blue sky with it's nose aimed at your forehead. But missles go astray. One aimed at you might get knocked off it's trajectory by human error or by your nation's anti-missile counter-measures.

Have a look at Nukemap.com. Maybe you'll be at a friend house in the suburbs the day it rains missiles on your city. Even if you never make any more preparations that some "what-if" brainstorming, you'll still be ahead of the crowds around you.

Some planning today could make the difference for you and your people tomorrow.
edit on 17-1-2018 by tovenar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: tovenar
You make some good points, and if I were young or had young children, I might be a bit more proactive with the prepping for life in a nuclear wasteland. But I am too old to go beyond my emergency prepping.

Living in the woods and too far from a city to make obtaining supplies an easy run, and likely to have my dirt roads cut off by the downing of one medium sized tree, we folks in what we call "The Twilight Zone, have to be prepared at all times for possible power outages, and lost of access to staples and necessary supplies.

I believe that life will go on, even if it is nothing like we have ever known before. I just hope the ones that survive are the ones that can endure and will learn from our mistakes. I hope that they will be the foundation for building a much better world out of the ashes.

I can only hope.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I live in wales (the really poor part of britain). Not many strategic targets to hit. We got one of the world's biggest (either world's or europes) gas terminal, a couple of raf bases, a missile testing facility and a # load of job centres.

I feel confident we won't get hit.
in fact when England and Scotland gets destroyed well take it and create a Welsh empire.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: ni91ck
Who is fully prepared?

I work around 500m line of sight from a big internet exchange. In case of ww3 i will take a beer and a camping chair, sit on the roof top and enjoy the firework for some nanoseconds!

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Therewearethen

You get your Kingdom of Wales sorted and myself and my leather clad mad max gang will come every Thursday for food and booze.
Woe betide if you are short.
I have my studded leather cod piece all ready.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting
a reply to: Therewearethen

You get your Kingdom of Wales sorted and myself and my leather clad mad max gang will come every Thursday for food and booze.
Woe betide if you are short.
I have my studded leather cod piece all ready.

You're willing to fight Welsh folk over food and booze? It's what we live on, we'll fight to the death and slowly expand our borders into Europe!

But in all honesty. If the proverbial hit the fan, there's be no point for plans. We'd be toast unless our government has secretly been building or upgrading existing bunkers. Which I highly doubt as they don't like spending money as you can see.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Off the grid here for the most part and averaged around 25 miles from the nearest store. Bridges and roads can easily be closed off from roaving hoards just have to watch for the advancing on shore. Prepping won't matter much if the local base is hit effectively flattening the area.
edit on 18-1-2018 by dreamingawake because: auto correct error

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 05:29 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

I think unless you live near a major base or major infrastructure your be fine. Usually in a bombing campaign it's major bases, vital infrastructure and factories that get hit. A nuke well. Just hope you don't live near a major city aswell!

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 05:46 AM
link   
a reply to: ni91ck

Tell me. Who is fully prepared?

no one

any one who tells you they are is elther lying to you - or delusional

i have very few " plans "

i have preparedness - which i will adapt to the dynamics of what ever happens

however - i have no delusions that my strategies will be sucessfull

the best i can promise - is i shall die trying

new topics

top topics