It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walk the Walk if the climate is really that important.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Not all reference points are on land. Many are on sea buoys.

Can you provide evidence that the land is sinking?

It seems to me that you are clinging to an argument that goes with your confirmation bias instead of actually examining the evidence.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: face23785

So far as I know, we don't have any gravimeters that sensitive.

TheRedneck

Don't they use insanely sensitive gravimeters in experiments to verify the speed of light in a vacuum? To my understanding they have to calibrate for their exact position on the earth, since all points on the earth are not equidistant from the center of mass. They have to account for that effect because the speed of light isn't an exact constant at different points on earth due to these tiny gravitational differences. I'd imagine you'd have to have one hell of a sensitive gravimeter to do those calibrations.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Funny how people are worried about campfires when Trump is starting a worldwide thermonuclear war. (sarc)

As my dad used to say, "it's all over with but the cryin'"

edit on 1 16 2018 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

Not all reference points are on land. Many are on sea buoys.

And how will that help? Is it your contention that the sea is rising but the sea buoys aren't?

Can you provide evidence that the land is sinking?

You already did. It is only happening in some, not all areas. Therefore the problem is with the land, not the sea. The ocean is a thin liquid and will flow to maintain equilibrium under gravity; the land is not.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Don't they use insanely sensitive gravimeters in experiments to verify the speed of light in a vacuum?

Yes, and they can detect a tiny mass moving into their sensor field. But they have to be used in a laboratory setting to get that precise, and they require very regular calibration. That kind of sensitivity will not work in an exterior sensor setting over long periods of time.

To my understanding they have to calibrate for their exact position on the earth, since all points on the earth are not equidistant from the center of mass.

Well, that wouldn't necessarily be an issue because we would be looking for a difference in reading rather than an absolute value. But the problems mentioned above would still exist.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: redhorse

I remember being parked at a stoplight once behind a vehicle with two bumper stickers about thinking green and going vegan for the environment. The hilarious thing was that this was a new Cadillac Escalade, a rolling tribute to careless, gas guzzling consumerism.

To be fair. I drive a F350 diesel and thought about getting green stickers put on it just to see the reactions and triggering effect, LOL

I was going to make a sticker that said please buy a prius or tesla to offset my carbon footprint. Or one that said prius inside.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Lke the OP said, people talk a good game about wanting to protect the Environment, but very few of them are willing to -really- do what it would take to even begin to turn back any damage we've done.

The computers, or tables, or mobile devices we're all typing this from? Yeah those damaged the environment. In their manufacture, and shipping at minimum. A motorcycle -may- cut your impact, but you're still having an impact. It would take a MASSIVE shift in almost every single aspect of modern life, to begin to fix the damage we have done. How you commute to various places, how our goods are made/shipped. How we power them, and our society as a whole. How we build our society, and the devices we use daily. The list goes on, and on.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 08:33 PM
link   
We have obviously reached a new unbridled age of "Super Hypocrisy" , where the people preaching are so hypocritical, that they have no room left inside to be able to see themselves and how stupid they have become.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 07:56 AM
link   

That makes sense. Thanks for the info.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42
a reply to: redhorse

I remember being parked at a stoplight once behind a vehicle with two bumper stickers about thinking green and going vegan for the environment. The hilarious thing was that this was a new Cadillac Escalade, a rolling tribute to careless, gas guzzling consumerism.

To be fair. I drive a F350 diesel and thought about getting green stickers put on it just to see the reactions and triggering effect, LOL

I was going to make a sticker that said please buy a prius or tesla to offset my carbon footprint. Or one that said prius inside.

It has to be done.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

Preaching what?

Science is not a religion.

But keep embracing ignorance and ignoring the observations around the world.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

Preaching what?

But keep embracing ignorance and ignoring the observations around the world.

Spoken like a true believer. Al Gore is a scientist now? Embracing ignorance? Just what Al Gore would say when people laugh at him.

You couldn't comprehend my meaning about hypocrisy? That's hilarious

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

That depends... true science says
  • We experiment, evaluate, repeat, re-evaluate, and try to understand.

• We do not know all the answers and must continue to study until we do.

• We look at explanations from all sides and all possible viewpoints.

• We invite any and all opinions and observations in the search for more knowledge.

Religion says
  • We believe we know the answer and need no more evidence.

• We either know all the answers or cannot know all the answers without divine intervention; we must carry on with the knowledge we have.

• We do not want any questioning of our beliefs.

• We must try to convert all those who do not believe as we do to our beliefs.

Which category do your arguments fall into?

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Science doens't do things like "adjust" empirical data to match the models. Science would say oops these models are wrong.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join