It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walk the Walk if the climate is really that important.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I am not a "denier", but if I must have a label to discuss this, I suppose that is closer than saying I am a cult member. I keep hearing how the tipping point has been reached, or is close at hand. If we don't "do something", it will all be over. The POPE is a big voice in all this. He seems to think along the lines of most of the climate cult members. But then I read about him flying here, and flying there, on a big private plane.
ca.news.yahoo.com...

His comment, made as he flew off for a visit to Chile and Peru, came after Hawaii issued a false missile alert that provoked panic in the U.S. state and highlighted the risk of possible unintended nuclear war with North Korea.

I have to ask, if it really is that damn important, shouldn't the one's who are true leaders in all this be leading by example? When the IPCC has international meetings, the members all fly in to talk about how horrible things will be, yet, we are in the age of the Jetsons, where teleconferencing is not only a reality, but super easy.

I understand the slight upward trend in temperature and the rising co2, I realize that this time, the upward trend is much quicker than in the past. I still hold out hope that most are wrong and this is just a cycle that will do as all cycles do, and eventually, go back to the baseline. If I must be chastised for that belief, so be it. But it would go a long way in convincing everyone that it really is a HUGE deal that we cut emissions, if the key players tried to lessen their carbon footprint just a bit. (IMHO)

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   
It's all BS it's not about the climate or the environment it's about controlling energy. More precisely about controlling your energy use. Technology could disrupt and de-centralize nearly everything from money to manufacturing, but technology requires power.

Control the power, and stay in control.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
I am not a "denier", but if I must have a label to discuss this, I suppose that is closer than saying I am a cult member. I keep hearing how the tipping point has been reached, or is close at hand. If we don't "do something", it will all be over. The POPE is a big voice in all this. He seems to think along the lines of most of the climate cult members. But then I read about him flying here, and flying there, on a big private plane.
ca.news.yahoo.com...

His comment, made as he flew off for a visit to Chile and Peru, came after Hawaii issued a false missile alert that provoked panic in the U.S. state and highlighted the risk of possible unintended nuclear war with North Korea.

I have to ask, if it really is that damn important, shouldn't the one's who are true leaders in all this be leading by example? When the IPCC has international meetings, the members all fly in to talk about how horrible things will be, yet, we are in the age of the Jetsons, where teleconferencing is not only a reality, but super easy.

I understand the slight upward trend in temperature and the rising co2, I realize that this time, the upward trend is much quicker than in the past. I still hold out hope that most are wrong and this is just a cycle that will do as all cycles do, and eventually, go back to the baseline. If I must be chastised for that belief, so be it. But it would go a long way in convincing everyone that it really is a HUGE deal that we cut emissions, if the key players tried to lessen their carbon footprint just a bit. (IMHO)

You always have to remember with progressive liberals, their solutions to societies problems never apply to the elites.

1) Your kid has to attend public schools, the progressive elite sends their kids to private school.
2) You can't have a firearm, but the progressive elite get armed security guards
3) You have to live in dense cities and all kinds of other green initiatives, but the elite get to live in massive estates with electric usage the size of a subdivision, fly private, etc
4) You will get slammed for reducing your tax bill, while the progressive elite setup fake charities and take advantage of loopholes

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I remember being parked at a stoplight once behind a vehicle with two bumper stickers about thinking green and going vegan for the environment. The hilarious thing was that this was a new Cadillac Escalade, a rolling tribute to careless, gas guzzling consumerism.

When we started moving I just gotta see who is driving and I pull up and peek in and see a done up to death, nipped and tucked woman in designer sunglasses sipping her Starbucks. I mean the whole thing was such a cliché I was looking for cameras. I don't know if someone stuck those on as a joke or what. This was years ago though and I still remember it.

Your post made me think of that. These folks talk the talk, but they never walk the walk. Conserving is for the plebs, lecturing about how important it is for the elite.

On a related not, although not global warming per se. They changed the propellant in inhalers a few years back from CFC to HFA because CFC's are bad for the environment. The HFA inhalers don't work well, and in fact, HFA propellant was only tested on people with healthy lungs and some asthmatics react badly to it. Trouble is, there are all sorts of industrial emissions of CFC's that make all of the asthmatics combined look like a drop in the bucket. They don't care if people drop dead as along as it looks like they are "doing something" with their initiatives to help the environment, but better leave the industries alone. It's ponies and balloons and if tens of thousands of asthmatics die and hundreds of thousands take a dramatic hit to their quality of life... Meh... They still get to feel important.

edit on 15-1-2018 by redhorse because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-1-2018 by redhorse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   

If we don't "do something", it will all be over.

Why yes people!

It will be all over it we don't create carbon credits, and new taxes, and write more laws.

The end is nigh!

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   
People care deeply about the environment as long as caring doesn't inconvenience them.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: CulturalResilience
People care deeply about the environment as long as caring doesn't inconvenience them.

Bingo.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Well the world tried to do something, but then Trump said nah, he doesn't believe in science. And said America was leaving the Paris Accords. Except America hasn't left the Paris Accords. And, oh, who knows.

I'm not even going to bother trying to summarize the now overwhelming mountain of hard scientific facts that prove climate change is real, the deniers on this site are too ridiculous.

Weird how it's only American right-wingers who refute the scientific evidence. While pretty much the whole rest of the world outside those that read the Daily Mail in the UK, are agreed that it's a very real and very serious problem though eh.

Not to worry, I'm sure a few tens of millions American right-wingers know best. Even though none of them are climate scientists.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Couldn't have said it better than "Edumakated"

They will never do anything, they want YOU to do everything so they can maintain their power over the peasants.

Rules, regulations, laws, taxes, initiatives, etc, are all for us and not them.... BECAUSE WE ARE THE PROBLEM! (at least according to them)

Just call it narcissism.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

Yea, to hell with the point of the OP, just call anyone who doesn't lick your boots names, and you will surely win their hearts and minds. sadly typical.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz
Well the world tried to do something, but then Trump said nah, he doesn't believe in science. And said America was leaving the Paris Accords. Except America hasn't left the Paris Accords. And, oh, who knows.

What, exactly, was the Paris Accord going to do besides showboat and syphon money into no where?

I'm not even going to bother trying to summarize the now overwhelming mountain of hard scientific facts that prove climate change is real, the deniers on this site are too ridiculous.

Weird how it's only American right-wingers who refute the scientific evidence.

Try a centrists approach:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

It's a hoot!

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

So much there with little evidence to back it up. I'll just lay out my personal beliefs, climate change is happening all the time. The climate changes it even goes through cycles. But blaming climate change which has always happened on human activity is an unproven theory.

Considering our climate always changes blaming the change on humans requires a lot of evidence, not theory.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Okay to be fair I just Googled 'Vatican composting program'.

Because lush gardens and lawns cover more than 50 percent of Vatican City, composting plays a big role in the overall program. This is probably fostered by the fact that the Vatican’s head gardener is also in charge of sanitation. Additional on-call services are provided for bulk waste, white goods, tires, household hazardous waste, outdated pharmaceuticals, fluorescent bulbs and renderings from the butcher shop. Overall, the Vatican’s waste and recycling program includes is a pretty impressive array of services by anybody’s standards.

On the sustainability meter, when it comes to vetting the Vatican’s practices, the reports are favorable. Francis’ predecessor Pope Benedict XVI saw to that. He led the way by installing 2,400 solar panels that power a significant portion of Vatican City. He also replaced the old gas-guzzling Pope-mobile with the now legendary Mercedes hybrid version.

Francis followed suit with the installation of 7,000 LED bulbs in the Sistine Chapel, accompanied by a climate control system that is sensitive to body temperature and movement. At normal intensity, the energy-saving bulbs and the automated cooling system will cut the Vatican’s electricity bill by more than 80 percent. Both also are designed to preserve the priceless works of art housed there.
www.waste360.com...

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I agree. I have Solar Panels on my House, I recycle, I vote for politicians that take renewable energy and pollution seriously I have a motorcycle for commute to cut down on my gas consumption when I can.

It's funny how people that believe in man made global warming in the US get called alarmists and worse etc or that we're in a cult. But i'm just over here like, NASA said this these actual scientists said that, this group of climatolgoists said this...this research paper said that. How am I wrong for believing scientists? LOL

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Sorry, you are either on their side, or your not. there is no middle ground here. But the good news is, the Kool Aid is cherry this week!

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
I agree. I have Solar Panels on my House, I recycle, I vote for politicians that take renewable energy and pollution seriously I have a motorcycle for commute to cut down on my gas consumption when I can.

It's funny how people that believe in man made global warming in the US get called alarmists and worse etc or that we're in a cult. But i'm just over here like, NASA said this these actual scientists said that, this group of climatolgoists said this...this research paper said that. How am I wrong for believing scientists? LOL

how am I wrong for hoping your scientists might be wrong? I have admitted to all your charges, I just hope it really isn't "the end of humanity". But I suppose I must be called a denier and made to feel bad. Good for you doing something proactive. I am doing the same things, but not because I care, it's because it saves me money. LED bulbs, better insulation, smaller house, composting. Travel less.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Could you post a picture of your solar setup and an explanation of how much it cost, vs. the savings?

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

Could you post a picture of your solar setup and an explanation of how much it cost, vs. the savings?

I'll try. Its' a lease so no money down, On a good day it can cover 90% of my power needs and I get some net metering where NV power can buy my excess power back...it's sort of like a discount in a way, but of course, the power company just raises our rates to negate the savings. lol

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   

I believe in doing a lot of those things. I ride a motorcycle for commuting. Recycle. Etc, Etc, Etc. So while I care about the environment, it doesn't mean that I have to support redistribution of wealth and punitive taxation as a solution.

I have an issue with all the hysteria. Scientist purposely hiding and manipulating source data, etc also doesn't help my confidence either.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Knows the real problem is environ "mental", starts thread about the weather instead.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join