It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Getting U2U spam.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I've only been using this board for a month or so but until today I've never recieved spam in my U2U inbox. One was asking me to reply to a thread, and the other wished us all a happy valentines day.

Is this normal around here or is it frowned upon?

I mean the valentines day one could be seen as nice, but mass U2U's are still just as annoying as e-mail spam.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Those were sent by members who care. The shadow sent them out to many people, myself included.

Also, how many did you get, two? How is that spam?

[edit on 14-2-2005 by ADVISOR]

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeftBehind mass U2U's are still just as annoying as e-mail spam.
From time to time there will be mass U2U's to inform members about new features or important new events on ATS. The major difference between email SPAM and mass-U2U's is that we (ATS) are paying for the U2U space and bandwidth, you're not. These last two you mention were not sent by ATS admin.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I'm not worried about ones actually from ATS. I appreciate the fact that you provide such a service.

It just took me by surprise because I had never seen one from a member. I had to ask.

The reason I call it spam is because that's what it is. Sending one to everyone is spam, just not commercial spam. It's not really all that friendly. It's like getting a valentine's day card from my bank.

But maybe I'm just a mean bastard who doesn't like valentines day.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I got one from Shadow, i thought it was a nice gesture. Hardly what i would call spam.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   
i got them both. vday was nice. the one asking to respond to a thead was a bit annoying, but allowed. i replied expressing my views, and he promptly apologzied.

i see know problem.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeftBehind
But maybe I'm just a mean bastard who doesn't like valentines day.

Come on ya grump you just got a valentine, enjoy it

The end of March I'm sending you an Easter greeting!

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I'm not sure but LeftBehind could be talking about a u2u sent out to people uringing them to check out a thread(it had nothin to do with Valentines day, it was sent out by a normal member wanting attention for their thread) so yes spamming does happen, but I think the member already got dealt with by staff. Didn't want LeftBehind to look like a single raving nutter on this, though if I'm thinking of a different unsolicited u2u just kindly ignore me.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Yes alternate, that one was the one that actually bothered me, it's good to know it was taken care of.

The valentines one only got included because I recieved it right after I deleted the first one.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
LOL...I thought it was so nice to be wished a Happy Valentines day- thats not Spam, thats what you call some of the members caring for their fellow posters. Whatsamatter with you.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I didn't get one from shadow, but I did from bell

I AM NOT LOVED

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:40 PM
link   
uh....you wouldn't believe how many replies I got back lol.

Thank god I didn't send it to all members, ats would be down for hours lol

-J

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I thought my Valentines Day card was very nice. Thank you.

I would have u2u'd to thank you for it, but I figured you were getting a flood of complaints and would need the space.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 10:16 PM
link   
tsk > just wondering but did you use the rant thread about anti-vday to make a list of who not to send it to
as I figure that would explain my lack of a u2u like everyone else (and trust me im not complaining in the least) just ponderin a bit in my beer-buzz-mode

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I enjoyed my valentine greeting. Although I did not respond in like manner, I thank the gentleman.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 10:38 PM
link   
How come I didn't get one?

Wait a guy sent it out? I guess it is good I didn't get it.

Surf

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I didn't get any valentine U2Us

That is so like real life... maybe I should socialize in chat a bit more, then maybe someone would remember me

[edit on 15-2-2005 by paperclip]

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I think somebody is just single on Valentines day.

Or else you did the same thing that I did... Clicked the U2U button expecting it to be an applause and were disappointed.
It was a nice gesture on Shadow's part, even if we all know he didn't mean it and has no intention of kissing us.

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   
BTW, to the best of my knowledge there is no way for the average member to send a global U2U. When you get invited to a thread it probably means the person in question spotted you out individually as somebody who they felt would make a valuable contribution to the thread. I'm always flattered to get a congratulatory U2U or an invitation to somebody's thread.

new topics

top topics

join