It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

APA Calls for End to 'Armchair' Psychiatry

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

Great topic, but I wonder if armchair diagnoses can still be speculated dependent upon recent scientific statistics and probabilities, such as:

Above the age of 65, a person's risk of developing Alzheimer's disease or vascular dementia doubles roughly every 5 years. It is estimated that dementia affects one in 14 people over 65 and one in six over 80.

and

A new study published in the journal Clinical Psychological Science found that soldiers who enlisted before the age of 25 were seven times more likely to develop post-traumatic stress syndrome.

www.healthline.com...

edit on 01CST10America/Chicago012101031 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

That would be a big concern if Trump wasn't getting regular medical exams. There's a briefing on his current state of health at 3:30pm Eastern today. Some folks here will simply ignore it since it will conflict with their worldview.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

That would be a big concern if Trump wasn't getting regular medical exams. There's a briefing on his current state of health at 3:30pm Eastern today. Some folks here will simply ignore it since it will conflict with their worldview.

But, is he getting regular psychological assessments?

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

Tune in and find out. I'm sure some of the liberal media are gonna ask about his mental state.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Tune in and find out. I'm sure some of the liberal media are gonna ask about his mental state.

The current state of his health briefing will be only on the physical body not his state of mind.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   

The current state of his health briefing will be only on the physical body not his state of mind.

That's not what I said. The question will be raised by the media, and you'll get your answer. Not sure what else you want. Maybe you just don't want an answer so you can continue thinking it's a problem?

ETA: Also, you brought up Alzheimer's, which is not strictly a mental health issue. It has physical symptoms. See here. A physician doing a physical on a man in his 70s would obviously take note of such signs. Again, tune in and watch if you actually want to find out some direct info instead of just being fed innuendo by the media.
edit on 16 1 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Empiricism.

Psychology does not use empiricism in assessing a patient. There are no labs that can be run to determine an imbalance. Any/all tests used will either measure the nerve response (when testing for neurological problems) or will rely on the subjective opinion of the person doing the screening.

Pscychology isn't medicine. It doesn't utilize empiricism when evaluating studies. Medicine does.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Empiricism.

Psychology does not use empiricism in assessing a patient. There are no labs that can be run to determine an imbalance. Any/all tests used will either measure the nerve response (when testing for neurological problems) or will rely on the subjective opinion of the person doing the screening.

Pscychology isn't medicine. It doesn't utilize empiricism when evaluating studies. Medicine does.

They use verifiable science via observation and clinical studies, then calculate probabilities/statistics using the data, which, in my opinion, is an acceptable path to understanding our changing psychologies, philosophies and vulnerabilities.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Great thread...never really considered the ethics of what some of these "professionals" are doing. But I can't recall if I have seen anyone in that capacity on live TV making these claims. Mostly it's just the normal talking heads.

I do think thought if someone is called a racist in today's climate they should be asked for examples or censured for hate speech lol. Not really....but part of me has seen people hide behind the free speech to say hateful things .

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Empiricism.

They use verifiable science via observation and clinical studies, then calculate probabilities/statistics using the data, which, in my opinion, is an acceptable path to understanding our changing psychologies, philosophies and vulnerabilities.

Lo and behold, literally the 2nd question was about Trump's mental health and the doctor says they included a cognitive exam even though there were no indicators that would cause them to want to do one. The President specifically asked them to do it, they did it, he scored 30 out of 30 and he sees no indicators of any problems with the President's mental health. He based this on his regular observations of the President and the cognitive test they did. He sees no need for a psychiatric evaluation. The only reason you would send him for one at this point is based on the politically-motivated opinions given at a distance by irresponsible people who just got chastised by the APA.

Will you accept that?
edit on 16 1 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Will you accept that?

Heh. Just because somebody is an oddball doesn't mean they're nuts.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

Will you accept that?

Heh. Just because somebody is an oddball doesn't mean they're nuts.

This is a big part of the problem. In the military you meet all kinds of people. I've met people like Trump that speak in that manner. It is off-putting at first, but once you get used to it you learn to kind of read between the lines and understand them. He just has a different way of speaking.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785
Trump is not a career politician, and he does not talk or think like one. That's why we elected him.

The career politicians, most of whom live in a range somewhere between "deeply myopic" and "mildly retarded", think this is just too bizarre to comprehend.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan
The career politicians, most of whom live in a range somewhere between "deeply myopic" and "mildly retarded", think this is just too bizarre to comprehend.

Trump talks like a salesman, which is basically what he is. Sales is definitely different than politics, regardless of the superficial similarity.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   
The disappointment on these reporters faces is hilarious. You can tell they're not happy with the answers they're getting. Kind of messed up that they wanted the President to be in poor health.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Trump is not a career politician, and he does not talk or think like one. That's why we elected him.

I'd have to agree with you there for the most part.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
They must really hate freedom of speech.

No, I think they just love the due process of psychiatric analysis.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   

The White House physician said during the press conference , that president Trump is healthier than 99.9% of the people his age, both physically and mentally. None of those snowflake reporters could accomplish one fifth as much as president Trump does on a daily basis.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 04:36 PM
link   

a reply to: ElectricUniverse

Great topic, but I wonder if armchair diagnoses can still be speculated dependent upon recent scientific statistics and probabilities, such as:

Above the age of 65, a person's risk of developing Alzheimer's disease or vascular dementia doubles roughly every 5 years. It is estimated that dementia affects one in 14 people over 65 and one in six over 80.

and

A new study published in the journal Clinical Psychological Science found that soldiers who enlisted before the age of 25 were seven times more likely to develop post-traumatic stress syndrome.

www.healthline.com...
Regardless, they still cannot make a public diagnosis of a particular person. Perhaps you were wondering if corporations can use that formation against people in group health plans ....that would be a concern to me.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

The White House physician said during the press conference , that president Trump is healthier than 99.9% of the people his age, both physically and mentally. None of those snowflake reporters could accomplish one fifth as much as president Trump does on a daily basis.

It was like the air was let out of the room. They asked him the same question 10 different ways trying to get something. What a bunch of scum.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join