It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Children our future? Mortality Rate WORST Of all wealthy nations

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Planette
Less than 1200 kids are even killed by guns in the US every year. It is literally one of the least significant causes of death to minors in the US. It accounts for a fraction of 1% of all child mortality in the US.

jeez, you got back up accounts for backup accounts don't you ?
edit on 1-14-2018 by worldstarcountry because: forgot the 1

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Wow, what a huge assumption. As if we're the only country with gang violence. "No need to look elsewhere", yeah great detective skills there Sherlock.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
The UK is horrific with gang violence. UK is one of the most violent lawless places in Europe.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Wow, what a huge assumption. As if we're the only country with gang violence. "No need to look elsewhere", yeah great detective skills there Sherlock.

No, but you are the only country with the combination of gang violence and the 2nd Amendment.

Your reading comprehension could also do with some work if you are going to be a little snide so and so.

I said, The child mortality rate in the US is higher only because of gang violence.

The other normal deaths for children are still there as they are in every other country.

P

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Study found 15-19 is 82% more likely to die of gun violence than in any other country

Bull and snip.

People are more likely to die from abortion than 'gun violence'.

I didn't know that! Sad..Very sad indeed.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 11:07 PM
link   
gang violence has very little, extremely little to nothing to do with child mortality. It does not even register as a statistic. CDC says injury deaths account for over 12,000 annually. The leading cause for ages under one is suffocation. 1-4 it is drowning. 5 - 19 age group the leading cause of injury is motor vehicle incident.

Literally most of the dead children die from accidents with little to do with access to firearms or medical care. Maybe self driving cars will reduce that over the next twenty years, but I won't be holding my breath.

Also I was playing with numbers, and did you know our overall death rate between Australia and USA in relation to population is not far apart.
24 million Australians and 158,000 died in 2016 for an approximate death rate of 0.65% annually. USA with 323,000,000 people and 2.6 million deaths in 2014 was 0.82% that year. Our rate difference in mortality from total population is only apart by 0.017%
The UK is right under USA. Total population of 65.6 Million and total deaths of 525,000 in 2016 Rounds out to about 0.8% annual death rate.
Europeans and Australia should get your guns back, the government lied to you!!!
edit on 1-14-2018 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I'll bet the countries used to compare are probably exclusively European NATO members. Many European countries choose to neglect their commitments of spending a certain % of their GDP on defense in favor of social programs for themselves and security provided by the United States military (who spends the required amount). So when these stats come up as they often do I cant help thinking the "stats" are BS and bias.

Its better to compare USA to Russia which is in many ways the best comparison. When the comparison is done USA comes across in a more favorable light in many ways. Like Russia's higher murder rate while having stricter gun laws etc.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 11:37 PM
link   

No, but you are the only country with the combination of gang violence and the 2nd Amendment.

-Russians have tougher gun laws and more murders than the US.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 11:41 PM
link   

"Study found 15-19 is 82% more likely to die of gun violence than in any other country"

This above sentence is the dumbest thing I think I have ever read on ATS

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 12:06 AM
link   
a reply to: dilly83
So what if they are? Their rate of death overall does not really change compared to other countries. The fact that a study tries to make it about guns primarily goes to show it is an agenda to castrate the public with misplaced fear. if the overall rate of death is quite similar and close across the board, why does it actually matter how they die?

Most 15-19 year old die from vehicular accidents, not guns. And there are about as more guns, automobiles, and humans in the USA.
Planette is just another America hating stooge, continuing the same agenda previously pushed by others.

So if the same rate of 15-19 year olds are dying in the USA, where guns are everywhere, as are dying in the UK, where guns are banned, wtf does guns actually have to do with the discussion?? NOTHING, unless those who focus on it are a foreign or domestic subversive attempting to undermine the constitution. Then it means everything.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 12:25 AM
link   
survival of the fittest, I`m not worried that the obese and the poor lazy minorities are dying off at record numbers,the best, brightest and the fittest will survive. what is the percentage of deaths of 1%er children compared to deaths of bottom feeder children? uh huh, just as I thought.
edit on 15-1-2018 by bluechevytree because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-1-2018 by bluechevytree because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Lies, damned lies and statistics.

While the US infant mortality rate is higher than other advanced nations (at c. 6 to 7 under fives, per 1,000 population) it's very complicated to compare reasons. For example, one reason could be the lack of regulation over seat belts, and another could be access to healthcare for drug addicted mothers.

The wider issue of child mortality. Well, that's where the stats go all against single issues. While the US has a high level of gun violence, the bigger problem is the number of kids who die on America's roads, perhaps due to (ahem) lack of regulation over seat belts.

You see, with stats you can prove anything. The mortality of American kids is due to seat belts.

My own personal view here (not being American) is that infant mortality is worse than other developed nations because of a lack of universal healthcare and particularly the shortfall in dealing with pre-term births. The statistics support this view, BTW. Older kids should leave the guns at home and wear seat belts, as this would improve their chances of getting to live into their twenties.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Alabama rate is 9.1 per thousand
Mississippi rate is 8.6

Seven southern states rate the highest in infant mortality, between 7.4 and 9.1 per thousand.

I guess they could all be bad drivers.

www.cdc.gov...

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Not arguing, just offering additional points to consider.

When studies say the US is this or the US is that, it really needs to be more specific. The US is very diverse and has 320+ million people. Who are the groups most likely to have higher infant mortality? is it equal across the board? I am guessing it's not. Since this is the first I have run across this, I will refrain from commenting more until I have done my homework.

A salient analogy might be gun deaths in the US. It's still mortality. We frequently hear the US has the highest "gun violence" of any "developed nation". Besides arguing what a developed nation is or isn't, the "US" does not have a gun violence problem. Very specific locations and demographics within the US do. To lump the entire US into the discussion is a misleading characterization.

I am betting infant mortality and whatever else this study looks at is similar. This is not to say it isn't a problem which needs attention. However, no possible solution is forthcoming if we cannot define the specifics.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join