It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Visual artifacts/glitches...long time troubleshooting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Hey Everybody!

So, I built a PC in April last year ('17). Very Randomly I notice a flash of either pink or green lines in random patterns. (Sometimes the pattern repeats). They only last for about a frame (very quick). Sometimes horizontal, sometimes vertical. Happens randomly like i said, while gaming, or while doing nothing or watching tv. Sometimes days go by without it happening, and sometimes a couple times per night. (Just noticed it on 2nd monitor for the first time). glitch seems to happen on one screen at a time. (is that a clue?)

2nd monitor is an asus 27" 1080p (hdmi). Main monitor is benq 4k 27" (display port).

GTX 1080 AG8 Rog Strix, z270e mobo, 7700k cpu.

32gb corsair ram, corsair ax760w power supply

Temps never get above 60 degrees C. (except for first benchmark ever and didn't have fan curves set and it went over 80)

Thought it was gpu overclock, and I uninstalled oc software and am now running at base clock (no help)

have had a few different drivers over the last year and believe the problem happened with each

can run benchmarks no problem, and never saw the glitch during a benchmark. (got better than 96% of all results on firestrike!)

Have searched for the same problem everywhere, and found only vaguely similar ones, not this exact issue.

Hopefully its a simple fix. Thanks in advance!

(wish i could get a screen grab, but they are so fast and random)

drivers and bios up to date

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 02:25 AM
link   
a reply to: BadBoYeed

ooo... most likely the gpu (1080).
I've come across a couple of fried gpu's displaying artifacts and what you're describing sounds spot on...

If it becomes an often appearance try replacing the DP or HDMI cable first, but it sure sounds like gpu...

Also sounds like it could've been the OC that did it. I fried a ati 9550 years ago with an overclock. thats when the artifacts appeared

But also seen a couple that just degraded due to use and most likely small manufacturing errors.

Godspeed
edit on 14-1-2018 by GreenGunther because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Try putting in a different video card.
They can be bad from the factory just like anything else.

edit on 14-1-2018 by RedmoonMWC because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Your answers can be found on the Nvidia forums....
And there are many for that motherboard/video combo
You running SLI or single GPU ?
G-Sync or regular v-sync
Windows 10 CU ?
All covered .

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Pink or green lines are never a good sign , could be a VRAM or GPU issue , if you have issues with a card that costs as much as a 1080 I'd say RMA it as it should have a 2 year warranty.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 04:51 AM
link   
a reply to: GreenGunther

I thought that over clocking (with provided software) could not damage a gpu. Read a bunch about it before trying.....

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 04:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Single card, regular v-sync, windows 10 64bit. I did just find a bad memory stick. Errors in memtest.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I have this happen with a lose dvi-d cable to a 1080.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 12:03 AM
link   

So they say...
Granted, this was back in 2005 on a ATI Radeon 9550.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 03:25 AM
link   
a reply to: GreenGunther

Found out that one of my ram sticks was bad... But that was not the problem. Plugged my Xbox into the monitor and was still having the problem, and no issue on other monitor with computer display! Now I have to figure out if the monitor is failing or if it's interference related.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   

It's one of those that's nearly impossible to troubleshoot scenarios...

Godspeed, the last time that happened to me I gave up and vowed never to troubleshoot my own pc again. I do it on a daily basis for a living.

Orderd a gaming rig from an independent company and never looked back.
If it breaks, they can troublshoot...

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Turns out it was my monitor...rmad

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 04:47 AM
link   

That took a while

Just glad you got a solid answer!
I cracked my monitor 2 weeks ago.. had to order a new one..

Hope you've also been able to invest in a replacement

new topics

top topics

join