It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Being remembered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I think everyone has that inner compulsion to want to leave a mark on/In this world...to have your name known throughout the world and be in the history books.

So my question is would you rather be in the history books, or be a household name for "bad" reasons, or to die with nobody knowing who you are.

Example. Would rather live a normal life do nothing extrodinary and after you die and close relitives die your memory doesnt even exsist. Or would you rather be remembered for henious reasons, example, Hitler, Bundy etc etc.

Just curious if people would rather live as an unknown or live and die for something awful but go down I history

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghostsinthefog
die with nobody knowing who you are.

The sooner the better

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghostsinthefog

I will be known and remembered by my family.
Perhaps I will have some lessons that will be remembered by co-workers, friends, and students.

Why does anyone need anything more?

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Considering the billions of people on this planet, and all the people that have ever been, the chances of you being remembered are about zero. Maybe your family will remember you, but once you are a great grandparent, you're pretty much forgotten dust.

Very few people leave their mark for generations.

As for me, I came into this world with very little fanfare, butt first, and that's probably how I'll go out. My children will remember me. Maybe some nieces and nephews....and that's it.

I figure I'll have to answer for the bad things I've done on the other side once I vacate this body, and also get a pat on the spiritual back for the good things. I also figure that it will be come blatantly obvious that we are all one, and pretty much, that's how we end up. A part of the whole.

The need for attention and being remembered may be a narcissistic need on this side of the veil, but once we check out of this looney bin called life, I doubt it means very much at all.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 12:06 AM
link   
In thirty years, I will be forgotten. I will not do something that causes financial burden on others just to get wealthy and my name in a history book.

I would rather die unknown than to have created something that will someday cause destruction of the environment or to people of the world. I would not want people to be suffering by something I created, especially if it could be weaponized. I gave up on researching developing energy producing devices for that reason. Everything I tried to research could be weaponized, some of it already has been patented and the patents have been bought up and buried for this reason. It is not always greed that stimulates the buying and burying of technology, some can easily be altered to make powerful weapons.

Maybe my posts as Rickymouse will last longer than memories by my kids and friends, maybe they will influence someone somewhere to eventually change the world. A ripple can turn into a big wave sometimes if energy is added to it.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 12:12 AM
link   

I'd like to be remembered as a good person. Loved and missed for the good that I have done...and hopefully they leave out all the rest.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 12:13 AM
link   

So my question is would you rather be in the history books, or be a household name for "bad" reasons, or to die with nobody knowing who you are.

If i could erase everything i ever said and done, and myself as well, i would. In a heartbeat. My last heartbeat. I think that answers your question.

And you, OP? What is your own answer to your question?

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 12:22 AM
link   
You can only be remembered by those that knew you.

Everyone who didn't know you, only knows what someone else tells them about you.

Only a name is passed down with stories attached to it, even if some of the stories are true, you would never actually remember the person that name belonged to.

With that said, I would pick the choice dying unremembered. On a good note, that would also mean no one would be hurt by my departure.
edit on 14-1-2018 by 3daysgone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 12:25 AM
link   
That’s a pretty bizarre question, in my opinion.

Only a monster would ever want to be remembered for such things.

And as much as I may disagree with, or even dislike, some ATS member’s attitudes...
I’d be super shocked if anyone here felt differently.

Besides, it’s the Internet Age...
Everyone of us now has the potential to be remembered forever, or at least until the WWW ceases to exist.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Unremembered - No different than 99.999% of all humans who have ever existed, so no big tragedy there.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Best thread topic on ATS in the last month or so. A really good OP (tell us your view). Nice job! My response:

We are not like each other, we ARE each other. None of us invented sex. It just part of what it means to be a human being. The same thing is true with human character. None of us invented or owns our human character. Most of us have ego delusion. Everything we think is who we are exists in other people. Our way of looking at the world. What makes us happy what makes us sad.

Once you recognize your own ego delusion, you die and are reborn again to experience what being a human being really means. Since you are not really alive, who you are lives on in the human race. As long as the human race is thriving none us actually dies. We all live on in everyone else.

So for me at least, I will continue to strive to be the best I can be. And I am fine with any marks I make on the world or none at all. It's all good.

edit on 14-1-2018 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Speaking of making a mark on the world. One thing is interesting is that internet and search engines are making the number of people capable of making a mark on the world much bigger than before.

Two hundred years from now when we have multiple space colonies mining the asteroid belt, we will probably have a 100 trillion people seining the net for learning and entertainment. People will know all kinds of crazy trivial and information.

For example, check out Jimmy Page in this video one year before Led Zepplin is born. Just an amazing and interesting piece of musical history that is only available through the Internet:

So freaking cool

edit on 14-1-2018 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I don't see why I should care if I'm dead.
Feed my corpse to the coyotes and birds.
They have to eat too.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 02:36 AM
link   

This is ATS, therefore:

Some person will buy my identity through an underground broker of stolen Equifax personal data.
That person, rather than I, will become well known.

After I die, my estranged family will hear of "my" fame.

Some day, while receiving a major award, such as Nobel Prize, all my surviving siblings and cousins and their children will attend 'my' award ceremony.

What a shock they will have!

"How did ____ manage to look and sound so utterly different? He didn't recognize me at all. How about you?"

Edit to add:
My plan is to not inform anyone of my death.
edit on 14-1-2018 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 04:04 AM
link   
The chrysalis or the Butterfly.... Both fleeting and soon forgotten.

Leaving nothing but Footprints....

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Once I had children my need to be remembered disappeared. It was the immature musings of a spiritually bereft individual. In me, the desire to be remembered was a reflection of my need for external validation of my inherent worth. Once I learned to value myself internally, and thereby also learned to value others intrinsically, any desire for being remembered slipped away.

I believe that causing the amount of pain necessary to go down in infamy would result, sooner or later, in a great deal of pain being visited upon me. I've never desired to cause that much pain but even if I had I would not risk the bad ju-ju because I have a distaste for being in pain myself.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   

My narcissistic mother actually starts to cry when she describes what songs to play at her own funeral.

Cracks me up every time.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Thanks for all the insights.
My opinion? I just been thinking about my own mortality recently due to my condition and have been wondering if it's better to die an unknown or to be cemented in history books forever.

Example my grandpa is dead. When me and my folks die him and ww2 heroism will be gone from history and nobody will know. Where say Himmler who committed henious crimes will still be read about in 50 years

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Thanks for all the insights.
My opinion? I just been thinking about my own mortality recently due to my condition and have been wondering if it's better to die an unknown or to be cemented in history books forever.

Example my grandpa is dead. When me and my folks die him and ww2 heroism will be gone from history and nobody will know. Where say Himmler who committed henious crimes will still be read about in 50 years

Yeah, well. That is not fair. Life rarely is. But i am glad you made your response as some of us asked you to do.

How do you know that your grandpa's ww2 heroism will be gone and nobody will know? Maybe we here on earth will never hear about him and his actions or read about them. But there is something above "us" or at least i like to think there is.

join