It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Just Want To Read In Peace Damnit.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 10:57 PM
link   
This is going to seem like a counterproductive thread...
I say seem as if there is room for doubt, but admittedly it actually is.

Frankly I just can’t help wanting to know if I’m alone in this or not.

Basically, I have about 40 windows open in my browser at the moment, all ATS threads that I wish to read eventually.
Trouble is they go back about 2 weeks (minimum estimation).

And I seriously want to read them.

Problem is I find myself busier than usual in various other areas that have taken priority.
I’ve managed over this period to consume a few threads, and have found time to interact in them as well.
Even managed to make time to create a couple threads I felt necessary.
So clearly it isn’t all bad.

And in reference to the opening words of this post, you’re probably thinking “but you’re using up free time making this thread to bitch and moan about not having enough time to read the other threads, are you mental or what?”...
I can’t blame you either.

However, as this urge-to-read-but-restricted-from-doing-so saga has been on my mind, I sacrificed the time instead to ask if this ever happens to you guys?

Do you have multiple windows open in your browsers with ATS threads going back a significant amount of days/weeks?

I’m sure I can’t be alone, but assuming makes an ass, so here we are.

If you also suffer this nuisance problem, I do sincerely hope you can get to them soon.
It’s mildy enraging, and that’s probably unhealthy.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading.

Peace.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Be thankful you can settle in one area. I have threads open fro PC hardware, PC software, Crytpcurrencies, gaming communities, ATS, Reddit and sometimes Facebook some family members are feeling chatty.

Not to mention my CAM software, CNC software and tooling software!

=D

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Be thankful you can settle in one area.

Well you’ve just proven to me it could in fact be worse, lol.
So I do now have a renewed outlook with a reason to be thankful.

Truly I feel sorry for ATSers (the type who are addicted to the site like I am) that have full time jobs or children to raise.
I couldn’t bear only having a rare glimpse of the New page, or worse only an incredibly small window of leisure time to actually be able contribute with a post.

This rant has become instantly regrettable because it’s not even bad enough to be considered a 1st world problem.
I feel like a whiny, privileged tool now.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:20 PM
link   
No.
I have higher priorities in life that most times do not allow for that much spare time.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:21 PM
link   

I've found a way to combat our mutual issue of having a tab-fest on the screen as I do not have the time to read everything straight away that interests me either, so, when I have multiple threads open, which is constantly, I subscribe to those threads I don't get to - so they show up in myATS and I can get to them eventually. this way I can shut down the browser and destroy all the tabs, instantly, with the press of a single button - I'm powerful like that in my own little bubble.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408

Be thankful you can settle in one area.

Well you’ve just proven to me it could in fact be worse, lol.
So I do now have a renewed outlook with a reason to be thankful.

Truly I feel sorry for ATSers (the type who are addicted to the site like I am) that have full time jobs or children to raise.
I couldn’t bear only having a rare glimpse of the New page, or worse only an incredibly small window of leisure time to actually be able contribute with a post.

This rant has become instantly regrettable because it’s not even bad enough to be considered a 1st world problem.
I feel like a whiny, privileged tool now.

It's cool man, at least you're honest. Proper forum and proper rant!

I myself will admit that adulting is hard sometimes.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:27 PM
link   

That's crazy,

My only internet access is through my phone it's been like that since 2012.
I can't imagine all that, heck I don't have any other social media at all.
If you knew my name and googled it all you would know Is I am a registered voter and the other information available with that..

I don't face book, nothing just ats and text messeges to friends.

Really all that seems like to much..

Respectfully,
~ meathead

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:28 PM
link   

I always have multiple threads open to read. My general rule is to close them if they have been inactive for 1 hour.
On those weeks where work or life get in the way I usually do a mass purge of open pages once I've read the OP/ first page depending on subject and responses.

As much as I enjoy digging into the archives on this site, any conversation to be had will fade after a few days of thread inactivity.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Mike Stivic

Well, my hobbies are mostly PC related, until we move anyway. My job requires me to be glued to my surrounding hardware and thus, my post history.

It helps break up the monotony as much as one can inside my paid tech prison!

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:36 PM
link   

My friend,

I was not judging, I am considered odd by most for not having a face book,
As far as pc addiction goes I was glued to mine before I moved up here,while recovering from surgery.

At least your getting paid for it!!!

Respectfully,
~ meathead

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

That’s actually some very handy advice for when I’m at my Mac.

The windows I currently have are all on my phone’s browser, fully closing it doesn’t remove them so I’ve just got used to keeping them.

I’m not sure that would work when I shutdown the Mac, so your idea is brilliant.
Cheers, geezer.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Mike Stivic

No worries at all!

I've often dreamed about no cables or wi-fi for some time now. However, then I wouldn't be able to communicate with all the lovely folks of ATS.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:48 PM
link   

You could...I do..albeit on a three and a half inch screen..
With bumble thumbs and all..

Not saying you would like it..

Ok I am headed to sleep.sorry for the off topic banter hazzy !

Respectfully,
~ meathead

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Well yes, I have multiple treads as well as multiple news sites open. After a time if I dont get to them they are closed. Short attention span but stiil mulitple news sites thinking maybe. Someone else gets to them first. All the better.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 12:31 AM
link   

I find your distraction amusing.

This is just a response to continue in the distraction you are facing by having you read this line.

Sorry about that.

No. I not.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 12:33 AM
link   

I know exactly what you mean. 2 days ago I put in 5 responses on a thread only to realize the thread was over a year old and someone had just recently posted to it, I went in and deleted my posts as I don't really expect a response. 3/4 hrs of research for nothing. LOL

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 02:43 AM
link   

I just let certain days pass without checking ATS, ie. sometimes I forget about it for a while.
I think it's good to take a step back from this site from time to time.

To much politics, not enough critical thinking and analysis. Obviously everyone values certain members comments more than others due to bias as well.

I'll check to see if I have thread replies, check what's on the front page and the 'new' section.
I thought ATS was awesome when I found it initially, after the whole Turd vs. Ahole election, it lost a lot of stars in my webpage rankings.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 06:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

This is what I do. It works for me.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 07:37 AM
link   
After a long hard day of adulting where the only reading I get is forum style reading with abbreviated content, I look forward to finally diving into a book for a few precious minutes before sleep. Nothing is more aggravating then having my husband come in, see my reading, and immediately start talking ... about his own interests.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   
That reminds me of a very good Twilight Zone episode.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join