It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trustworthy Charity Orgs... Any Recommendations Welcomed.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I didn’t really want to place this in the Off Topic department, as it may receive less traffic, but I really couldn’t think of a place other than that seemed appropriate.

So, for only the 2nd time ever, I’m going to kindly ask the members who read the thread to please give a little flag so it can gain a bit of publicity.
I, and maybe others, would like as much input as possible from our helpful community on this topic.

Though it is against my true purpose as a member here, I am making this thread for a little personal benefit...
But I would not be surprised if there was many like me who would appreciate any information shared by those with the relevant knowledge.

The question is obvious, given the title.

But a little background as to why may be in order;

So I was doing my bit, with charities, and I was not at all reluctant to do so.
My front door was knocked one day, and upon answering I was greeted by a volunteer doing the recruitment rounds.
I always hear them out and give them a chance to woo me, because I’m sure most of the time doors just slam in their faces, I don’t want to be that person.
This particular gentlemen successfully convinced me.
I prioritise causes, as I’m sure we all do, and the ones he said would benefit were right up my street.
Elderly care assistance in the UK, disaster relief Worldwide, refugee aid (food, medicine, clothing) and others that slip my mind.

In this instance, I’d already heard of the charity in question (we all have), as opposed to most who knock the door here representing unknown smaller orgs.
Before I name the charity, I’ll go into a little more detail as to how I ended up making this thread...

Well it wasn’t soon after money was leaving my account that I was bombarded with what some may call divine signs, or universal messages, or just plain old synchronicity...
It seemed everywhere I made a presence online, I’d come across some very derogatory and accusatory things about the charity I’d signed up to.
Prior to doing so, I’d never heard a bad word about them. So naturally, I took heed of these “signs”.

I did a little digging, and found quite a lot of criticisms of the org.
Nothing I could truly verify, but enough to convince me to cancel the direct debit I’d set up.

I mean, why risk it if you cannot confirm either way?

So here I am, looking to get back to giving.
Only problem is I’m not well versed enough in working out which ones to trust.
And that’s where I was hoping you, ATS members, would come in.

The charity I unsubscribed to was the Red Cross.
And while I’m not discouraging you expressing any dirt you have on them, I hope it doesn’t take the focus off of better recommendations.

I already have one in mind, a Guide Dog foundation.
But I’d like others as well, if you don’t mind helping out with info.

Much thanks in advance, people.
Peace!

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Checkout charitywatch.org

They have a breakdown of each charities finances, how much they pay their CEO/ board of directors and how much goes to the charity cause

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kalixi
Checkout charitywatch.org

They have a breakdown of each charities finances, how much they pay their CEO/ board of directors and how much goes to the charity cause

Excellent, thank you kindly Kalixi.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Charity navigator is a other site to
Check out .

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

I have personally found that the smaller, less advertised the "charity" is, the better chance your $$$ has of ever reaching the people you intend it to. But that is no guarantee.

After many regrets, usually because I was naive and didn't do the required research, I never give $$$ on the spur of the moment because someone tugged on my heartstrings.

I know your heart is in the right place Hazardous, take the time to make sure your money ends up where your heart intends.

S&F Mate

ETA, I have used both sites recommended above and concur

edit on 1 12 2018 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 10:20 PM
link   
World Vision: build a well for a village, send a family some livestock, or fund a child. My favorite.

Heifer International is similar, and has a great reputation.

I'm Catholic, and I trust many of the organizations they collect for at Mass, like St Vincent de Paul.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Kalixi hit the nail on the head with a mighty heave of her sledge hammer.

It was as good a hit as Thor Himself could have made.

To see who you should give to, check the salaries of the CEO and those on the next two tiers.

Also, dig into how much they spend on advertising.

Charity begins at home. Keep a small but helpful amount of money folded in your wallet so you do not spend it. When you come across someone that you think needs it, give it away.

You will do far more good this way!

A modern charity is lucky to spend 20% on charity, the rest goes in salaries and advertising. This is then a business ... not a charity.

P

edit on 12/1/2018 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 10:42 PM
link   
www.specialbunny.org...

Rabbits are the third most popular pet, but possibly the most abandoned. If you have a place in your heart and wallet for animals, I can personally vouch for Special Bunny. I buy their hay and attend their yearly fundraising auction, they have also found homes for many of the buns I have brought to them from local parks where they were dumped.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Thanks so much, guys.

While limited, the input was about as valuable as any 7 page long thread could be anyways.

Kalixi certainly nailed it. First post perfection. Lol.

Mel, too. Another fine contribution I’d hoped for.

SacredHeart, thanks. Sincerely.

Thank you kindly, Stosh.
I don’t think you’re alone in charity let down either, it’s almost inevitable when you spread out your contribution choices.

Charity donations should be the last place people get shafted, ideally.
We live and learn, right? Lol.

Seattle, thank you very much.
I will certainly look into the org you recommended.

I certainly regard animal charities highly on my “priorities” list.
They’re very overlooked, sadly.

a reply to: pheonix358

Keep a small but helpful amount of money folded in your wallet so you do not spend it. When you come across someone that you think needs it, give it away.

You will do far more good this way!

For sure, any way we pay it forward is likely priceless to those being helped.

While giving to the homeless is a sure thing for me when I have it to give it, even if they can only purchase a couple meals, or a few beverages, sometimes even a little dog food, I at least know I’m making a difference where possible.

But I also do wish to contribute to other specific causes that cannot be done by giving a little change to rough sleepers.

Thanks a lot for the input!

Cheers, guys.
You’ve laid out a good direction for me to follow now.

edit on 13-1-2018 by Hazardous1408 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Good thread, I am interested to hear people's suggestions.

I love on a small town and there are a lot of collections for people going through tough times.

Also things like getting people in elderly homes dinners for thanksgivinh, things like that.

It's nice because you personally can see all of the money go right to people.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358

A modern charity is lucky to spend 20% on charity, the rest goes in salaries and advertising. This is then a business ... not a charity.

P

A business with tax concessions.
And department heads protecting their budgets via incompetency and waste.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Give of your time.

That way you know where your "efforts" are being spent.

Instead of giving a check or cash, buy the meals yourself.

Instead of donating to an eldercare or guide-dog facility, spend time with the older folks or assist in the dog training.

"YOU" are more valuable than any dollar amount.

In my opinion.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   
The facebook community I belong to participated in something called Extra Life. It raises money for Children's Miracle Network. 100% of money raised goes to the actual charity. There's a small processing fee but I was happy to pay it, knowing that the money wasn't being taken out of my donation. When I wasn't able to donate money I donated books from my game collection for highest donation. Here's a trailer for the stream/community event. They're planning on doing it all again this year.

Here is a link to the actual charity. All in all, it was a rewarding experience.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Team Verrico,every penny goes to to the people they help..Its a Cancer charity that helps Cancer patients with children under eighteen to get second opinions,help with travel,counselling etcetera.
It was set up when a young Mother died of triple negative breast Cancer,leaving a three year old and eighteen month old without a Mother .Their motto is Never give up and gaining more tomorrows.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Chuckles, it's great that you are in a position to offer some help to others. That really is a good thing. As a few here have said, if you can spare some time, it goes a lot farther than $. If you just find an old folks home near you and you can stop by for an hour on Saturdays or something. Your time might be the only interaction some of those people have in their day, and they really do appreciate it. It's a double edged sword, as you feel really great after spending some time with a few really interesting folks, but to return and find one of them passed tears you up, so be prepared for that part too. (if you go that route)

Either way, try to enjoy whatever you do.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   
The safest and most meaningful way of giving is to go local.
Local food banks
Local to homeless shelters.
We have a local place called horizon house. Its for the mentally challenged and teaches them work skills in a small local manufacturing environment. Its well supported by our local community.
Give local whenever possible.

(post by helengomes removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 08:28 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 08:44 AM
link   

The Augustus Masonicus High-end Single Malt Whiskey Fund is possibly the most selfless donation you can make. PM me for details.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I make donations to Hope Now Ministries pretty regularly. This Christian community works with orphanages in central Ukraine. They help these kids to meet basic needs for survival. I try to donate to orphanage at least 5% of my income, it is an integral part of my budget. I feel it's the right thing to do

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join