It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illinois AG candidate robbed at gunpoint in Chicago during campaign photoshoot

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   

The Chicago Tribune reported that Aaron Goldstein, 42, and members of his campaign team were approached by three men in their early 20s. One of the men had a handgun and demanded Goldstein and the campaign aides turn over the camera equipment and other personal belongings, including their cell phones, which they did.

Though Albany Park is not known as one of Chicago’s more dangerous neighborhoods, it has been the scene of a recent spate of armed robberies similar to Thursday’s incident with the Goldstein team. Two suspects carried out six separate street robberies in late November and early December, flashing handguns and demanding money from the victims, according to a crime alert released by the Chicago Police Department.

LINK

LINK

When are the leaders of this City going to realize they have an issue?? And it has nothing to do with Gun Control.

This is an issue where people lack the ability to legally defend themselves from a city and it's citizens who are killing each other at alarming rates. Maybe now something will change when a person who is lobbying for a position power is a victim of the environment they created with their laws.

edit on 12-1-2018 by GuidedKill because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   
The people of Detroit greatly appreciate your city's willingness to take on the role of "worst post-apocalypic slum in America." Keep up the good work! (So people will stop making jokes about us for a while.)

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: GuidedKill

No descriptions of the three assailants?
Tall, short?
Fat, thin?

And to call them men? Shame shame on such an assumption....

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   
El Chapo's "home port" city, brought to you by Bush + Obama + DEA + ATF + CIA + State Dept + Robert Mueller, the "Windy City" Chicago.

How long till it goes like Mexico and the cops & politicians get smoked for trying to fight the crime / not being on the payroll?

edit on 12-1-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   
What a sh*thole.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan
The people of Detroit greatly appreciate your city's willingness to take on the role of "worst post-apocalypic slum in America." Keep up the good work! (So people will stop making jokes about us for a while.)

lol reminds me of this Cleveland Tourism video.....

At least we're Detroit.....We're not Detroit!!

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

No descriptions of the three assailants?
Tall, short?
Fat, thin?

And to call them men? Shame shame on such an assumption....

I think I heard the victims describe the suspects as minority males age 18-55 between 5'1" and 6'8" tall wearing a hoodie.

edit on 12-1-2018 by GuidedKill because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: jtrenthacker
What a sh*thole.

I heard Africa and Haiti turn away Chicago residents who are looking to immigrate....Something along the lines of your quote lol.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Just the products of Gentrification as usual.
When they gentrified Lincoln Park, they moved to Bucktown. When they did it to Bucktown, they moved to Humboldt. When Humboldt fell, they moved to Cragin, Hermosa, Logan, etc. So on and so forth. Old Irving/Albany Park/Six Corners neighborhoods have long been changing demographics and show signs of strain as the old money moves on and the new residents from tougher hoods move in. Uptown/Rogers Park, Wrigleyville/Boystown went through the same.
This is a big city with big plans. Gentrify or die.
It won't stop til the poor are pushed to burbs and the whole city looks like Lincoln Park.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: jtrenthacker
What a sh*thole.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Great video, thanks for that!

Hmmm, do they have one about Cincinnati?

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Hey youre right.
The second article linked did give a description.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker

Ever been? Doubt it. As with any city this large, it's bound to have it's bad parts. Sometimes real bad.
But this is a great city. You obviously wouldn't know.
40 years I've lived here and I still haven't been shot yet, go figure. Or maybe all that happens in a specific part of the city most often and crime like this happens most everywhere. We are not the new Detroit lol.
But, cast your dispersions from obscurity and the security of whatever "Mayberry" you live in. Its safer that way.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Funny that they don't describe that assailants at all.

It's very telling when the MSM does that.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   
The Albany Park area is a neighborhood in transition. It has been gentrifying rapidly. It still has a few bad spots, but by in large is a decent area. Chicago is a big city and it definitely isn't like living in a cardboard Chateau in the far out suburbs. In big cities, you will still get mugged, even in the wealthiest neighborhoods.

The gun violence in Chicago is definitely out of control, but that is largely contained on the west side and south sides of the city, far away from Chicago proper. It is largely on thug shooting another thug.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gravelbone

When they gentrified Lincoln Park, they moved to Bucktown. When they did it to Bucktown, they moved to Humboldt. When Humboldt fell, they moved to Cragin, Hermosa, Logan, etc. So on and so forth. Old Irving/Albany Park/Six Corners neighborhoods have long been changing demographics and show signs of strain as the old money moves on and the new residents from tougher hoods move in. Uptown/Rogers Park, Wrigleyville/Boystown went through the same.
It won't stop til the poor are pushed to burbs and the whole city looks like Lincoln Park.

While Gentrification is real I think a lot of what happens with neighborhoods in cities and towns across this Country is based on generations.

Here me out. The problem is the older generations who owned those homes and took pride and care of them are dying. When the elderly passes on they usually leave those paid off house to their children who are of different generations as well as living in different economies. While those house were given to them they don't take care of them as their parents did because they don't have the same pride of working for and earning that house. They don't work and are usually living in areas with low job numbers however because the house is free they have no desire or drive to move away. They live there year after year in squander as the house rots away around them until there is nothing left that is livable and they have to move away.

Only when the people who have money and who are willing to invest time and pride in the home come along to fix it does it become gentrified. However those people are not the cause for the neighborhood failing in the first place. The reason it went to crap in the first place is mentioned above.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: GuidedKill

While Gentrification is real I think a lot of what happens with neighborhoods in cities and towns across this Country is based on generations.

Here me out. The problem is the older generations who owned those homes and took pride and care of them are dying. When the elderly passes on they usually leave those paid off house to their children who are of different generations as well as living in different economies. While those house were given to them they don't take care of them as their parents did because they don't have the same pride of working for and earning that house. They don't work and are usually living in areas with low job numbers however because the house is free they have no desire or drive to move away. They live there year after year in squander as the house rots away around them until there is nothing left that is livable and they have to move away.

Only when the people who have money and who are willing to invest time and pride in the home come along to fix it does it become gentrified. However those people are not the cause for the neighborhood failing in the first place. The reason it went to crap in the first place is mentioned above.

This is exactly what happens. My grandmother had a nice house. Despite it being a lower middle class area, everyone kept their lawns cut, trash picked up, etc. People took pride in their homes. As they started slowly dying off, the neighborhood turned into a sh*thole. The quality of residents started declining rapidly. People on section 8 started moving in, no more two parent housholds, just single mother hoodrats with multiple children, etc.

Some of the worst Chicago neighborhoods actually used to be decent places to live.

Right now what is happening is all the hoodrats are being pushed out into the burbs since all the housing projects have been torn down. Most neighborhoods along the lakefront will be fully gentrified at some point much like you can't really find a bad neighborhood in Manhattan anymore.
edit on 12-1-2018 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

Great video, thanks for that!

Hmmm, do they have one about Cincinnati?

They always made me laugh...Look around a bit there are several versions and different cities too I think.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Gravelbone

Yes I have. Been to all the tourist destinations there. A concert. Cubs game. The museums, etc.

My comment was tongue in cheek. A joke.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   

a reply to: jtrenthacker

Ever been? Doubt it. As with any city this large, it's bound to have it's bad parts. Sometimes real bad.
But this is a great city. You obviously wouldn't know.
40 years I've lived here and I still haven't been shot yet, go figure. Or maybe all that happens in a specific part of the city most often and crime like this happens most everywhere. We are not the new Detroit lol.
But, cast your dispersions from obscurity and the security of whatever "Mayberry" you live in. Its safer that way.

No doubt a lot of people fail to mention that every city has good and bad sections and none are totally free from crime. I have personally been to Chicago and I was very fond of the City. I really enjoyed my short time there as I was on business. But I'm sure like most tourist my time was spent downtown where a person can't really get a feel for the real city of Chicago.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join