It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boeing Unveils Hypersonic "Son-of-Blackbird" Demonstrator Design

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 07:31 AM
link   
AviationWeek broke news of Boeing revealing their hypersonic "Son-of-Blackbird" mach 5-plus demonstrator design late yesterday.

The sharply swept, delta-winged vehicle concept builds on two decades of Boeing’s experience with the X-43 and X-51A hypersonic demonstrator programs. But it also incorporates design features from other Boeing heritage company high-speed projects including the Mach 3 XB-70 experimental bomber. Like the outwardly similar SR-72 concept revealed in 2013 by Lockheed Martin, the Boeing design also is aimed at a hypersonic successor late in the 2020s to the long-retired SR-71 Blackbird reconnaissance aircraft.

Boeing Unveils Son-of-Blackbird

Couple interesting points:

1. -Boeing states SOB's (Lol) design is derived from experiences with the X-43, X-51, and the XB-70
  2. -Two step design process to include a F-16-sized single-engine proof-of-concept
  3. -Project was initially funded in-house but is continuing with DARPA dollars
  4. -Engine partner is Orbital ATK
  5. -TBCC propulsion system

Seems like this forum made some pretty spot on analyses... Very exciting to see these things creeping into the white world

edit on 12-1-2018 by The one? because: fixed bulleting

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 08:31 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Not surprising they went for more of a waverider design. The X-51 holds the record for the longest hypersonic flight. I am surprised they didn't go back to Rocketdyne though for the engine.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

May serve as an indicator that FTC will approve the ATK-NG merger.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   
And once again, all we get is pretty pictures. (yawn, sigh)

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: SonofaSkunk

I told you before, you're going to be disappointed if you want to see Mach 12 planes being displayed openly for everyone to drool over. So, get used to being disappointed.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Any pictures from the article that can be posted here? I'm on my phone at work (as everyone in middle Tennessee prepares for the world ending 0.1 inches of ice and snow) and am not able to get past the sign in for the article...

Ive heard some interesting hints in a very generalized way from someone I run into every now and then trout fishing around here...

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   

-Boeing states SOB's (Lol) design is derived from experiences with the X-43, X-51, and the XB-70

... and one or two others they cant really mention...

So its a Boeing/Northrop vs Lockheed competition on hypersonic strike/recon now? Or just a white world smokescreen, Lockheed gets the first crack at an operational program out of the southern Groom Hangar and Boeing gets the second vehicle? Or is it a all in one program behind the curtain and involved companies just get their Independent marketing efforts?
In any case, Lockheed should be further along, already flying demonstrators. Is Boeing lacking behind or just holding their cards close to their chest?

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: SonOfThor

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: mightmight

Just Boeing. Northrop will only be providing the engines, not actual work on the design or airframe. It will be a sole Boeing project. Hypersonics have been in the works for years now, so it's not surprising that Boeing is trying to get into it, with all the work they did on other systems.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I would say that the engines are the hardest part when it comes to airbreathing hypersonics? Lockheed teamed up with Aerojet Rocketdyne if i'm not mistaken.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   

The TBCC has been fun to watch evolve. It's proven to be a serious pain in the ass, but when it works, it works really well.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   

That's correct.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   

No. That's not really what I'm saying. Considering my family background, (my Dad, my uncle and grandfather each worked for Lockheed,) I get it that any "black" asset should stay just that, in the black. I'm just disappointed as you say, because it has been since November of 1988, (30 years,) with rare exceptions, nothing has come into the white world. Thousands of people, working each and every day on "something," and no test beds, demonstrators, prototypes, or operational craft have popped their heads up. I know, I know, drones, Bird of Prey, yada yada yada, but, I mean something much different. All that money is no way only going into unmanned drones etc. And, no, I don't think they've been that focused on sexy 12 mach aircraft due to the technical mountains to climb. But, there's "something" out there and it's darn sure not a drone tanker or RQ 170's big brother.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: SonofaSkunk

The problem is everything can be weaponized... if it where up to the military alone, they would not have released the "automobile". You are lucky you are allowed to own a vehicle.
After that or at the same time comes economic national stability and the horror of TPTB that simple humans could function totally independent in every climate and situation...

Those are the reasons we didn't get to see any exciting new tech since WWII.

edit on 12-1-2018 by EartOccupant because: Destabilisation

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: EartOccupant

Seriously? There's been a ton of exciting new tech since WWII that the military released. Most of what has been developed was for the white world and has evolved into the civilian world.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Really. I understand your viewpoint, but i beg to differ.

Still we are working for money, buying expensive things that will break and need expensive energy. Did i mention that no invention ever made life cheaper?

Sure, we have nice toys now, but i'm still waiting for progress.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: EartOccupant

Wow. So because things break and we still work for money that has to do with amazing super secret technology that hasn't been released?

Ok.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join