It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Historical Reason Why Calling Haiti A %-Hole Really Is Incredibly Racist.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: dragonridr

I wonder what leaked conversations with Obama would sound like when he thought his conversations were private?

u dont need to find leaked ones. they are out there in video. i remember him saying he wanted to kick someones a$$ or something along those lines in a tv interview. theres video of him pressing his pants to his crotch to highlight his dick to a bunch of reporters on a plane. theres case after case but people have short memories and love to hate
edit on 13-1-2018 by TheScale because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: fleabit

We MUST do something to help them. But bringing those people here with no skill like that will just take away from the poor already striving to improve their lives is insane.

Instead of blocking countries, how about.. smarter vetting. Many countries have requirements for immigrants, that don't include blocking countries. You need certain skills, or have job skills for jobs we are in need of - there are plenty of ways to regulate the influx of immigrants that doesn't include blocking entire countries.

You do realize you are talking about a merit system, the very thing Trump proposes, right?

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

Trump should have said nothing while taking the billions donated to Haiti like Hillary and Bill did through the Clinton Foundation.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   
So... has anyone posted any proof that he actually said those words?

Word is this is just a distraction from the new Project Veritas video.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors
edit on Sat Jan 13 2018 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: thepixelpusher

Trump should have said nothing while taking the billions donated to Haiti like Hillary and Bill did through the Clinton Foundation.

Ever notice how the left never wants to talk about the CF and Haiti?

Crickets.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Someone's motives are what make it racist. If he was saying it was a #hole because he despises people of color, then it's racist. If he was talking about what a #hole it actually is, it's not racist, no matter how bad you want it to be. It's sad that so many people want racism to exist so bad they have to make it up.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 06:36 PM
link   

It is a s***hole because the Spanish made it one.

Look at Haiti on a map.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Agreed, he is just stating a fact. Besides, it is Clinton's State Dept. that robbed Haiti blind and left them in an even worse position than when they started.

We need merit based immigration, bringing in the best and the brightest and those who want to live the American dream. I don't think we should exclude any specific countries (unless they don't have functioning government/law enforcement) and look at each individual on their own merits. Just IMHO

edit on 1/13/2018 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

You do know that the Portuguese actually played the leading roll in the trans atlantic slave trade right, who then sold the slaves to the europeans? You also are aware that arabs also had their own slave trade. I could go on and on about this but i loathe these kind of threads tbh. You can sit there and point fingers all day long and say well this issue happened because of this and so on and so forth, but what no one ever says is, "Why did we let this happen?" If you point one finger at someone then you have 3 pointing back to you. It's pretty simple really. Also, evil triumphs when good men do nothing. Just going to leave that there. Calling a country a ***hole is not rascist. It is an opinion. If you agree with it, ok. If you don't, fine. Stop perpetuating this madness.

I'm going back to lurking now.
~Spin

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz

The first thing we have to talk about is the trans-atlantic slave trade. And the way the European and American empires built their wealth. How the wealth of the West was built on stealing other peoples stuff. This is simple historical fact.

A fact which is equally true of Jamaica. Yet Jamaica somehow manages to do better for itself (although not asoundingly better.)

For example. The French colony that became Haiti provided much of the wealth that fuelled the French Empire. 2/3rds of the sugar and 3/4rs of the coffee that Europe consumed came from Haiti. This was produced by slaves working the farms. So it was unbelievably profitable for the whites.

Yes, and I am sure the slaves are 100% of the reason why. The farming wouldn't have produced a single ground of coffee or grain of sugar if there were no slaves available, and they had to use paid workers.

The modern country of Haiti was founded on a revolution against this system. The slaves, the poor, they said enough is enough. We are not working to make white foreign slave holders rich.

The European countries and the USA refused to recognise Haiti as a country when they declared their independence. For their temerity in daring to break free from the shackles of slavery. Europe and the USA refused to trade with them for decades.

Not trading with a nation doesn't automatically doom it. Cuba has a very hard time getting anyone to trade with them, and they do ok. The only way you are guaranteed to fail is if your island lacks a crucial resource, without which you can't subsist.

That said, the implication that inability to trade with Europe is so terrible exposes a kind of odd Eurocentricism in your narrative. Why not trade with Morocco? South and Central America?

Saying that they need to trade with Europe to do well is EXACTLY THE SAME THING as saying EUROPE is superior, and Haiti is inferior. If they were not inferior, they would not need contact with Europe at all.

Haiti eventually got recognition by agreeing to pay a gigantic bribe to the international world. 150 million gold francs to French landowners to 'compensate' them for the loss of their farms and slaves. Haiti paid it, but it took them almost all of the 19th century to do so.

How utterly pathetic of them to do that.

Haiti was forced to borrow large sums of money at ruinous interest rates from American and European bankers to pay this bribe to gain their freedom. In 1914 those very banks got President Wilson of the USA to send US Marines to Haiti to empty/steal the Haitian gold reserve.

Forced? They were forced?

This is why Haiti is a poor ****-hole. They are poor because rich white westerners made them poor, kept them poor, and smashed them back into the stone age every time they tried to get their heads above water.

They are poor because they are perpetual victims. Trying to get Europe to build them into something instead of building themselves.

If the rich kids won't let you sit at the feasting table with them, you have to go set up your own table somewhere else, and other non-rich kids can sit at it with you, and gradually you build it into something, a bit at a time, by hard work and smart strategies (but mostly smart strategies), until eventually your table is nicer than the one those kids were sitting at anyway.

Soon those rich kids who rejected you earlier are begging for the chance to sit at YOUR table.

But Trump and his supporters are assuming Haiti is just naturally poor, maybe because they think black people are lazy, or just not good at building wealth, that's why they come to America isn't it? That's why Trump held up Norway as an example of a good country, they are white, look, they can build wealth. Whites are better than Blacks. That is the message here.

You're making Trump's point for him.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Satire:

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   
From your o.p.

This is why Haiti is a poor ****-hole.

So you’re saying it’s a s***hole.
I’m saying it’s a s***hole
Our President said it’s a s***hole.

I guess we’re all in agreement, then?

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Satire:

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ipsedixit

same.. but not really.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

He's a very experienced grabber. Starred you.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   

It is a #hole country. I work with a Dominican and he says that place is corrupt and a #hole. If you attempt a flotilla to get the hell away from a county its probably a #hole. Get over it snowflakes.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 09:50 PM
link   

This is why Haiti is a poor ****-hole.

You agree that Haiti is a ****-hole... so if Trump is racist for using that term, so are you.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
Was he being intentionally racist when he said that?

If he was I completely understand the uproar.

If not then once again we have the public left in a spin due to MSM promoting anything that might upset people in the hope we carry on promoting their divide and conquer agenda.

It really is so simple that people should stop wasting their life writing threads.
Stop with the racism BS...That quote about Norway was in his head is because Norway is considered by many to be the top of the heap...Had nothing to do with what color they are...If there had been an African Country that was at the top, Trump would have used that Country as his reference...

We obviously cannot tell if he was being intentionally racist. If he understood the historical reason why Haiti is poor, would he have said what he said? Probably not. And I think it's fair to say Trump probably doesn't know the history of Haiti.

But when he threw in the comment about Norway, to make the compare and contrast against the poor Black nations, with the rich White nation, I think we have to ask, why was that comparison in his head? And that's where it becomes racist.

But, this thread is more for the historical perspective.

It's interesting that you're telling me I'm wasting my life writing this thread, did you say that in the 12 page long thread which is defending Trump on this site? Or is it just 'wasting my life' when I'm pointing out uncomfortable yet important historical facts?

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Not racist by any stretch of the imagination. It's simply a statement of fact. Have you been there?, I have a number of times and it's a S---hole there is no debate about it. There is this incredible dichotomy, on one side Hispaniola you have Haiti and the other the Dominican Republic. They are both 3rd world nations but only one is a s--- hole. Ask your self why that is. Once you figure that out I'll listen to you opinion on Trumps accurate statement, and your so called racist intent. And, oh by the way I live in a city that has a little Haiti section and it's a s--t hole as well. I know because i have been there too. People post here to hear themselves spew garbage - when they know nothing.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join