It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nancy Pelosi Says Bonuses Pay-Raises Triggered by 2018 Tax Reform are Pathetic Crumbs.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 08:31 PM
link   
So.. the Walmart 1,000 bonus.. only goes to employees with TWENTY YEARS with the company. So it's not crumbs to most employees, it's non-existent. And while they will likely rake in billions from the tax cuts.. they give a sad 1k to basically lifers that have dedicated their career to that store. 1k bonus.. L-O-L!! For 20 years service. And you folks act like it's something amazing. Basically giving out 50 bucks for each year of service to their most dedicated employees. OMG!! Around 700 probably, after taxes. WHEEEW! That's amazing.

And the raise for employees is simply a trend that started a few years ago with Walmart. They raised their wages from 8 to 9.. then last year from 9 to 10.. this year, 10 to 11. Staggering!

Not saying that the tax cuts didn't lead to this.. saying you are vastly overstating the bonus, while ignoring the massive windfall the company will make as a result. Their employees will see a tiny, tiny % of Walmart's actual benefit from the cuts.
edit on 12-1-2018 by fleabit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: fleabit

Capitalism is about paying the least for raw materials, labor, environmental safety, occupational safety, transportation, taxes, products, and they take this increase profits and it gets passed up the pyramid to the top/shareholders.

This is why unions not only help the average stiff that works forty hours, it also makes sure some of these other concerns are handled safer.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: RainbowPhoenix

originally posted by: Teikiatsu
originally posted by: carewemust

How many people are getting bonuses or pay raises? Multiple that by $1000 plus hourly increases.

That's not crumbs.

Actually $400,000,000 to the heirs of a megacorporation collectively worth 89.5 billion is crumbs and it's especially crumbs on the individual level. Please tell me what a significant difference of quality in your life you will see with an extra $2.77 per day, I'll wait.

Here is the definition of ignorance folks.

Ask the employees receiving raises and big bonuses if this is crumbs to them.

Also, your $2.77 per day is also complete bull#, walmart minimum wage went from $9 to $11, on an 8 hour shift that is an additional $16 per day per employee....but wait there's more! The employee will be taxed on that additional $16 a day, and so will walmart. You probably have never been management or handled payroll so I'll let you in on a secret. Every dollar you pay in income tax your employer matches. Walmart employs an estimated 2.1 MILLION people. Lets play conservative here and say 30% of their employees make walmart minimum wage, and lets also consider them part time at 25 hours per week, that adds up to 10.5 MILLION dollars a WEEK in additional payroll expenses, or an additional 5.4 BILLION dollars in salary annually. Now we get to the fun part, payroll taxes that walmart will pay. Lets assume the 15% rate, that is an additional $819 MILLION annually walmart will pay in payroll taxes from a conservative estimate of their raises.

Crumbs my ass. Pelosi is delusional.
edit on 12-1-2018 by Vector99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Keep the elephants happy with peanuts. People that need it will see $20 extra bucks a week in their check..peanuts. big corp and people w big $$$ they are the real winners. We need a market that encourages higher paying jobs like infrastructure, engineering, technology, manufacturing etc etc not these go nowhere mcjobs w their $11 an hour pay rates.
edit on 12-1-2018 by conspiracy nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

originally posted by: RainbowPhoenix

originally posted by: Teikiatsu
originally posted by: carewemust

How many people are getting bonuses or pay raises? Multiple that by $1000 plus hourly increases.

That's not crumbs.

Actually $400,000,000 to the heirs of a megacorporation collectively worth 89.5 billion is crumbs and it's especially crumbs on the individual level. Please tell me what a significant difference of quality in your life you will see with an extra $2.77 per day, I'll wait.

Here is the definition of ignorance folks.

Ask the employees receiving raises and big bonuses if this is crumbs to them.

Also, your $2.77 per day is also complete bull#, walmart minimum wage went from $9 to $11, on an 8 hour shift that is an additional $16 per day per employee....but wait there's more! The employee will be taxed on that additional $16 a day, and so will walmart. You probably have never been management or handled payroll so I'll let you in on a secret. Every dollar you pay in income tax your employer matches. Walmart employs an estimated 2.1 MILLION people. Lets play conservative here and say 30% of their employees make walmart minimum wage, and lets also consider them part time at 25 hours per week, that adds up to 10.5 MILLION dollars a WEEK in additional payroll expenses, or an additional 5.4 BILLION dollars in salary annually. Now we get to the fun part, payroll taxes that walmart will pay. Lets assume the 15% rate, that is an additional $819 MILLION annually walmart will pay in payroll taxes from a conservative estimate of their raises.

Crumbs my ass. Pelosi is delusional.

Of all the people that work for Walmart and do not receive a living wage, how many of them will now have a Living wage and no longer need tax payer funded subsidies to survive the daily grind.?

We both know that number is a big fat zero.
edit on 12-1-2018 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 09:08 PM
link   

So.. the Walmart 1,000 bonus

The bonus structure isn't all or none. The employees getting raises will not get bonuses, the employees above the walmart minimum wage will receive bonuses, but the bonus amount will depend on the length of employment.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: conspiracy nut

It is called race to the bottom.
People still believe that if you help Corporations out, like tax abatements and now corp tax cuts , the corps will reciprocate the feelings. But that isn't true. They will cut wages- cut benefits- and leave for Mexico to manufacture their products. It isn't that they are not profitable, it is that if they can be MORE profitable by exploiting workers in 3rd world countries.
I will not even bring up the corp welfare and abuse of social programs that corps depend on.

But many still cheerlead our broken system.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

The bonus is for 20 + year seniority employees. $1000 for 20+ years of poverty level wages.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Here's how the bonus payout breaks down:
-- $200: Less than 2 years of Walmart employment
-- $250: 2-4 years of Walmart employment
-- $300: 5-9 years of Walmart employment
-- $400: 10-14 years of Walmart employment
-- $750: 15-19 years of Walmart employment
-- $1,000: 20 years or more of Walmart employment

source
Like I said, it isn't all or nothing, it's structured. The employees making under the minimum wage will not receive a bonus, instead they receive a raise.
edit on 12-1-2018 by Vector99 because: wrong word

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   

I wonder how they came up w the value of ones soul vs years worked. How do they prorate that?

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 09:53 PM
link   

It's something you have to do when you are a large business, mainly for legal reasons.

What do you think about their wage increase adding a rough guess of $800 million a year in payroll taxes that walmart themselves will be paying? Plus the extra $5 billion or so in spendable income?

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Do we have any idea on what the tax savings for Walmart is going to be?

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 09:59 PM
link   

i think the money had to come from somewhere, in this case 1000's of sams club employees being laid off. one hand feeds the other.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: DBCowboy

With a globe trotting military and slick corporate subsidizes (welfare) at every turn our govt is not cheap to run, and some one is going to pay for it. Want to guess who that is (hint it isn't the poor and it isn't the rich).

We all know that government (republican or democrat) spends our money like a sailor on shore leave after 2 years at sea.

We need to focus on waste and corruption because government won't police themselves.

Correctimundo...what was that number they were throwing around the other week? 19 trillion dollars I think it was? That's the money just in the last few years that is totally unaccounted for and the people with a moral obligation, if nothing more, to be able to tell us where it went when in just a day 2.3 trillion ad another day 7 trillion went missing without a receipt, a red hand, just poof into thin air and a minute later congress continued on the next item of the agenda. On the other hand, were I to go mine some diamonds in yrllowstone and I ended up finding two, a quarter carat each, those 200$ pieces of pressurosed carbon would see me indicted with federal charges and incarcerated for larceny against the federal govcharges not to mention trespassing, wasting a finite resource, taking a protected resource from,a national park, defrauding the national park service, and more. And holy gosh don't get me started how much more dire the situation becomes if instead I take a twenty dollar bill and some cotton based paper to my color printer/scanner. My future is gone. However commit what easily amounts to THEE biggest cash theft in the history of planet earth....not once but at LEAST three times and as long as the heist is planned from one of two rooms of a specofoc building, it doesn't count and you can do literally a trillion times worse than what I did and not even face a police officer coming with a pad and pen for a few questions or any authority figure coming to punish you with any more than a couple whacks with a wet noodle.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 10:02 PM
link   

You really don't understand business man, those stores were going to close regardless. They didn't close because walmart decided to give raises and bonuses. If anything the tax cut may have prevented additional stores from closing. If the bottom line can be met with the new tax cuts, the doors may not have to close.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 10:07 PM
link   

why are the stores closing? i understand brick and mortar retailers being affected by amazon and online shopping but why is sams club hurting?

my point was don't be fooled by walmarts "generosity" i wonder if they would have went ahead with the raises and bonuses had the sams club stores not shut down. walmart made billions in profits for years on end and kept their employees at poverty level so forgive me for looking at their business practices with a skeptical eye.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Do we have any idea on what the tax savings for Walmart is going to be?

it will be in the billions for sure, and my earlier math was incorrect, divide everything by 4. Even with those numbers, this is true trickle down in effect. Several large corporations have been following suit with bonuses and raises. Higher wages means more income tax from both the employer and employee. It also means additional money to spend, save, or invest.

I was skeptical at first about the tax cuts, but seeing the response from corporations due to the cuts, I'm now 100% for them. The big businesses are going to be rich regardless, but this is actually helping the working class, and the economy overall.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 10:08 PM
link   

The Federal Taxes deducted from many Walmart (and all other) employees paychecks will be lower amounts, starting in February.

Even if it's only a $5.00 decrease, that's far FAR better than the increased tax burden workers would be experiencing if Hillary, Bernie, or Oprah were running this country.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 10:13 PM
link   

It is odd that the "bonuses" and the store closings were announced the same day.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   

They have won.

The big businesses are going to be rich regardless

Your definition of helping workers is different than mine.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join