It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Mexico Gov. wants to grant immunity to police

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: DrStevenBrule

I looked that up. The west coast is not just California. I’ve never been to California. Oregon, Washington are west coast, then there is Utah, Idaho.

www.worldatlas.com...

California, Texas, Florida, and Illinois Have the Most Murders

In 2016, Texas recorded 1,316 murders. This is a slight increase from measurements taken in 2010, which included 1,249 murders. Texas is one of 31 states in the country where capital punishment is legal.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

This. Today

New Mexico comes in last on list of best places to raise a family
edit on 12-1-2018 by galaga because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: galaga
Yea, a credit monitoring agency is what I am going to go by. Ok.

New Mexico is a culturally rich land with a beautiful diversity of landscape and natural wilderness and a very affordable place to live with excellent property and land rights.

The problems you explain are typical problems in any part of urban and rural America, and are in no why unique or aggravated to a higher degree in the state of New Mexico. In that regard, when you compare to Florida, I promise you we win hands down in regards to everything you complained about.

We can turn you into a felon by simply being ripping off a $3.00 pair of headphones from a security device simply for being too impatient for a store clerk to unlock it for you. If your a Hispanic Jew, you can pick a fight with a young black kid, kill him, and get away with it. Even the Miami police get in trouble for going after each other in an excessive way. Hell they shot a guy laying on the ground with his hands straight out.

Please do not talk trash about my second home, I love it very much and it is dear to me. You would probably be itching to move back if you spent a year in Florida. Not me though, I do enjoy Florida because I don't walk around with victim written on my face. Now if I were in Baltimore city or certain neighborhoods of Chicago, Oakland, NYC, Philly, and many others, I would know better than to be any less than vigilante. But then again, I would have no business being in places where color gangs own the streets. Also, everyone I know from Jersey hates Jersey and has very little good to say about it. So I think you are going to have to compete with them to claim #tiest state in America.
edit on 1-12-2018 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   
It may sound like I'm crapping on New Mexico. I'm just telling you the truth.

Here is another thing about New Mexico And the people. We are a very tough people. We come from generations of people that toughed out the desert and rough terrain, survived natives, interbred with natives. Yes, this state is poor. This state is dead last in everything. But sometimes one of us makes it out of here. One of us becomes great. Especially fighters. We have Holly Holm. We have Johnny Tapia and Danny Romero, we have Bobby Foster. All world champion boxers. We don't have a major league franchise. Those people are our franchise.

We all root for them. They become the best.

Hell, we have the baddest gay guy on the planet. His name is Neil Patrick Harris. We root for him and everything he does.

New Mexicans are the least racist people. Because most of us are related in some way. Lol. We speak a different Spanish here. We speak it the old way. "White" people here have accents. You can't tell the difference between the "German" New Mexicans and the "Spanish" New Mexicans. You can't really be racist here. We are just "New Mexican". Growing up, we ate Greek and New Mexican food. My friends introduced me to Irish food with green Chile. His mom even tested out my "Jewness" lol. Because we are that too.

New Mexico is a hard ass place that has some bad ass people. Yeah, Billy the Kid lives in all of us.

edit on 12-1-2018 by galaga because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Yes you see all those good things you just said, that is what I see and experience when I am in NM. All the other nonsense you wrote, I must have simply avoided being there or whatever, because I am only ever filled with content and admiration when I am there.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   

I gave you a link to our local news. To come here for two weeks and calling it your second home is just straight retarded. Like I said. I worked with APD for ten years. I personally know how horrible Albuquerque is. I already told you it's beautiful here. Absolutely. It's what you don't know.

I know. I've worked homicide cases. I've seen the work of a serial killer that hasn't been caught yet. I've seen the police murder a 19 year old and lie about it. I did the photos on that case. The police killed a homeless man. There has been 3 bodies found without their heads in the past few months.

Fine go see the sites go look at the Sandia Mountains. But once you live here you will not want to even leave your house. It's the truth. I'm sorry I'm burning down your paradise. But it's the truth. Like it or not.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Guess what, Arizona, Oklahoma, Texas, and Utah have those same sunrise and sunsets. Also if you spent that much time working for APD that's so bad, and you admit your own brother was stealing dope, and I assume YOU didn't turn him in, how can we trust anything you say? You also admit to being on the wrong side of the court. Winning a case is NOT the same as being innocent. It only means not enough evidence to convict, based on the standard of law required by the court. A cop being unable to show 100% proof of their statement is not the same as a lie. Next my bet is you got your butt kicked because you did not do what you were told, and started swinging instead. In short it sounds to me like you and your brother are part of the problem and should be locked up.
Finally this law she wants to pass sounds to me like she's just tired of having some dirt bag drug dealer (Your brother) pulls a gun on a cop and gets shot. The family of that dirt bag (You) can sue for wrongful death.
As far as I'm concerned if you run from, fight with, or otherwise attack or ignore the police when given a lawful order to stop you're fare game. They don't know you or why you're running. They have every right to assume you're dangerous and act accordingly.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I promise you, you have nothing on Florida. Thats all I am saying. If you worked any Bay area county or Miami-Ft Lauderdale PD, Sheriff's office, you would be happy to be back in ABQ. How many zombie cannibals have you guys had eating the flesh of random innocent strangers? How often are children thrown from bridges into their doom out there?
How many times a year do you have full family murder/suicides?? we were the Epicenter of the opium crisis for half a decade, and the primary source of the nations problems as well.

What you are focusing on is the filth of society's, which will obviously seem widespread and epidemic when you work with an agency who's function is to deal with those elements on a daily basis. It is being not sincere to peddle that as daily life for everyday citizens. That is called fear mongering.

My own city of Tampa just finished dealing with a spontaneous random killer gunning people down in the streets in the middle of the night. You know what I did? Continue living my life. I even went to the DD's in that area of town because they have great deals, and are right next to Popeye's where I really enjoy to eat. I read the news when I am there, I do see the murders covered. They are no different than the headlines I read in every state I travel through, least bit my own state.
a reply to: Lysergic

edit on 1-12-2018 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Let's all go be cops lol

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
I promise you, you have nothing on Florida. Thats all I am saying. If you worked any Bay area county or Miami-Ft Lauderdale PD, Sheriff's office, you would be happy to be back in ABQ. How many zombie cannibals have you guys had eating the flesh of random innocent strangers? How often are children thrown from bridges into their doom out there?
How many times a year do you have full family murder/suicides?? we were the Epicenter of the opium crisis for half a decade, and the primary source of the nations problems as well.

What you are focusing on is the filth of society's, which will obviously seem widespread and epidemic when you work with an agency who's function is to deal with those elements on a daily basis. It is being not sincere to peddle that as daily life for everyday citizens. That is called fear mongering.

Let me tell you the difference. This is a small city. That's what makes it scary. Let me give you an example of how small this city is. The West Side serial killer case. My ex girlfriend worked on it. My cousin worked on it. My best friends ex girlfriend was one of the victims. No, we don't throw kids out the window. They just drug them up, rape them then dismember them. That happened last year.

Oh, and in response to the other guy. It was my cousin that was stealing coke out of the evidence room. I had no clue. I was pretty much ran out of my job for probably knowing too much. All I know I had photographic proof of some crazy crap. Lol. I know my own boss had a coke problem. I also know he stole 3 grand off of a dead body.

I was in this business for a long time. I know who to be scared of and who to trust. And no. There is no sunset like a New Mexican one. That's a fact.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
Let's all go be cops lol

Good idea get yourself a badge and spend a year in the uniform. Then let's see if you can still complain about the job they do.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   
All Cops Are Bastards

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   

I have never once in real life known anyone who hated cops, had constant run ins with them, who told stories about them, who did not deserve it due to their own actions. Always innocent in their own eyes, but always guilty in reality.

Are people different there? I mean isn't it mostly criminals or people who think they are above the law who have issues, like everywhere else?

On topic-
While I get why that governor wants that protection for law enforcement, I think limiting the amounts a court can award would be more palatable. We all know that most lawsuits against law enforcement are a bunch of crap and generally lies pushed by less than honorable ambulance chasers.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Regardless it was a family member. Hard to believe that you have all this information about the evil cops doing all these things, but were clueless about his activity.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: XAnarchistX
All Cops Are Bastards

I served in the Coast Guard busting drug runners in the 80s. My son is a cop, my daughter is an ADA, my youngest daughter is CBP.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: MikeA
Guess what, Arizona, Oklahoma, Texas, and Utah have those same sunrise and sunsets. Also if you spent that much time working for APD that's so bad, and you admit your own brother was stealing dope, and I assume YOU didn't turn him in, how can we trust anything you say? You also admit to being on the wrong side of the court. Winning a case is NOT the same as being innocent. It only means not enough evidence to convict, based on the standard of law required by the court. A cop being unable to show 100% proof of their statement is not the same as a lie. Next my bet is you got your butt kicked because you did not do what you were told, and started swinging instead. In short it sounds to me like you and your brother are part of the problem and should be locked up.
Finally this law she wants to pass sounds to me like she's just tired of having some dirt bag drug dealer (Your brother) pulls a gun on a cop and gets shot. The family of that dirt bag (You) can sue for wrongful death.
As far as I'm concerned if you run from, fight with, or otherwise attack or ignore the police when given a lawful order to stop you're fare game. They don't know you or why you're running. They have every right to assume you're dangerous and act accordingly.

No. In my case. The cop said one thing. My lawyer happened to have video evidence of him doing and saying something else. I was totally innocent.

It was my cousin who was stealing coke. I had no idea until he got busted. I've known about the corruption for a long time. Even before going into forensics. My dad was a captain in AFD. He knew what was up. His friend was a detective for APD. That guy would plant evidence. I hated that guy.

Look. It's bad. It's really really bad. This thread is about giving immunity to the police. They don't deserve it. This is my opinion, based on personal experience with working with APD and having family members in APD. Hell, my other cousin got busted with a few pounds of weed in his squad car.

He's no longer in the family.

Sometimes you can't do crap about crap.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: MikeA
Regardless it was a family member. Hard to believe that you have all this information about the evil cops doing all these things, but were clueless about his activity.

He was in APD. I was at the medical investigator.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   

What would your solution be to dealing with the lawsuits, to discourage the lawsuits by criminals who are pissed of they got caught or got themselves hurt by resisting arrest? I think that's what this is about and this is also about the whole State, not just one town.

If you know all this stuff, have you gone to the Feds? If you're working in forensics isn't it incumbent on you to do so, so you are not complicit? A federal prosecutor can deal with those things.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   

It hasn't been introduced yet. Apparently they just started a 30 day legislative session and the Governor intends to introduce it during this session. I've only found one article that even slightly updates the story from the OP's link, and it's mainly just talking about the criticisms received about the potential proposal.

Albuquerque attorney Randi McGinn called the legislation an attempt to score political points. She said police officers already have qualified immunity in federal court and damages are capped in state court. And if there is a judgment against an officer in state court, the municipalities, not police officers, would have to pay, she said.

Governor’s police immunity proposal questioned

I'm starting to doubt that this bill will even be introduced into their legislature.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

What would your solution be to dealing with the lawsuits, to discourage the lawsuits by criminals who are pissed of they got caught or got themselves hurt by resisting arrest? I think that's what this is about and this is also about the whole State, not just one town.

If you know all this stuff, have you gone to the Feds? If you're working in forensics isn't it incumbent on you to do so, so you are not complicit? A federal prosecutor can deal with those things.

Well, we do have body cams on the police. But that has been an issue in the past few months when a police officer turned his camera off and shot a 19 year old girl. Who happened to be the daughter of a judge here in town. I know, crazy huh.

But I like the idea of body cams. And sometimes people have it coming to them.

Well as far as going to the feds... That's a tough one.. being a whistle blower is scary. Yes. This is about the state. My nephew graduated top of his class for the sheriff's department. He lasted one month for being a good cop.

I was contacted by a production company to tell what I knew about things for a documentary for the Discovery channel. I wanted to do it but my wife talked me out of it. I don't even know how they found me. That was scary in itself.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join