It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Mexico Gov. wants to grant immunity to police

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 01:30 AM
link   
So New Mexico governor Susana Martinez wants to grant full immunity to all police while on duty and plans to try and push it through in the coming legislation session.

She does not think police should have to worry about being sued because it might keep them from doing their job right.

This bill would protect citizens and law enforcement officers from the massive payouts that taxpayers are giving crooks and thieves who are hurt or injured by police officers who are doing their job,” Martinez said.

Crooks? are jurys not finding these cops guity or at least liable before just paying them off?

How about you just get better cops? Jesus they cant just grant them full immunity.

If this passes America is broken.

www.abqjournal.com...

SANTA FE – A years-old debate over use of force by police could resurface in the coming 30-day legislative session, as Gov. Susana Martinez plans to push legislation that would grant legal immunity to New Mexico law enforcement officers for actions in the line of duty.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 01:33 AM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

Get used to that boot in your face, the authoritarian regime is coming to a town near you and being cheered on by the weak and simple minded.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Another step to becoming a s*ithole of a country.
Does not want to visit, nor does anyone I know of. Too scared of possible malice by the police, does not want to become a victim of some drug-crazed idiot, does not want to have to open up my electronic devices/accounts for snoops to leer on, does not want to get fat by oversized portions in restaurants (would eat them, though) and so on.
Sorry.

And as I do not care about replies along "you should look at your militant immigrants first!", because I live here and there is a huge difference between what your favorite media tells you and reality, everyone can spare me that, thank you.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 01:40 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

Good we dont want you.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 02:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

She does not think police should have to worry about being sued because it might keep them from doing their job right.

Put another way, police can murder, main, bash or injure as many people as they want without any regard for the consequences because there will be no consequences for them.

That is what immunity means, it means they will be immune from the law.

They will even be able, if so inclined, to have competitions among themselves over who can get the most scalps, who can get the most notches in their gun.

They can run around bragging about how many people they have killed, maimed, raped and beaten up as much and as openly as they like.

This will attract men who are murders, thugs, criminals and all sorts of scum bags there is on the streets, into the police force in that state.

Perhaps this is the sort of person she wants to employ so she can use them for her own agenda. Perhaps the lady agenda is to get them to do exactly as i describe above.

Police behaviour is a very good indicator of government policy.

Two years ago I worked with a bloke who was trained up by the millitree to be a sniper. The owner of the business said, this blokes sole ambition was to be sent to Afghaniastan just so he could spend his time shooting people for entertainment.

Perhaps the milittree decided he might not be a good advert for them.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 03:56 AM
link   

After reading the article in the OP, I'm thinking that she's doing this mostly as a cost savings measure. From the same article:

However, critics describe the legislation as misguided and possibly unconstitutional, while citing a recent federal investigation that found Albuquerque police had a pattern of excessive force. That led to a settlement agreement between the city and the U.S. Department of Justice.

In recent years, numerous lawsuits have been filed against New Mexico law enforcement officers, and some of the suits have led to hefty settlement agreements.

However, Martinez, who is entering her final regular session of the Legislature as governor, suggested that legislation granting legal immunity to law enforcement officers would protect not just the officers but taxpayers, too.

“This bill would protect citizens and law enforcement officers from the massive payouts that taxpayers are giving crooks and thieves who are hurt or injured by police officers who are doing their job,” Martinez said.

No one should be above the law, so I have my doubts that this will pass. But we'll see.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 04:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

Good we dont want you.

My money would have been fine, I know. How pragmatic.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 05:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope

And as I do not care about replies along "you should look at your militant immigrants first!", because I live here and there is a huge difference between what your favorite media tells you and reality, everyone can spare me that, thank you.

I cant be the only one seeing the ironic ignorance displayed in this post

You believe the media reports the reality of America but not Britain? Thats like...logical yoga its so contorted

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Cool story bro, you should tell it again. I especially liked the part that had nothing to do with the OP at all. Luckily, that’s basically your entire comment.

@ OP - as long as it’s not written as a blanket immunity, this wouldn’t be a huge issue. Just depends on what she presents to the legislature.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Just come and visit the blue states. Especially, the west coast. We love everyone.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Well now that i think about it..she might be shrooming. Its legal in that state.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant
There is also this:

eanwhile, the governor said the immunity bill, which had not yet been filed as of Tuesday, would not shield officers who intentionally disregard internal law enforcement policies and training.

This state has income tax, and have pretty decent public services. I don't see that they are hurting monetarily to really need something like this. Some of the cases cited as frivolous have not even had a verdict yet though, so not sure where the urgency or perceived bankrupting is coming from.

That should cover being shot in the back while running away or shot in the face during a traffic stop.
edit on 1-12-2018 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

The problem with that exception is that it basically allows the police department to decide if the officer is in the wrong or not. They would simply have to say that the officer(s) acted according to their training and they'd receive immunity. For the process to be fair, they'd need a separate independent commission to decide that.

Also, the other key word is "intentionally". Based on the language that you quoted, they'd theoretically just have to prove that the officer acted in good faith, even if he/she violated internal policies and/or training.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant
yea it sounds quite trashy IMO. The ACLU will probably challenge the heck out of it, or already is. Has it even passed the New Mexico House and senate yet? It probably is not worth getting too worked up over it yet. It will likely be challenged, amended, or thrown out altogether as it goes through the motions.

But certainly something to keep an eye on.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I have lived in New Mexico all my life. I was born in Albuquerque. I live in Albuquerque. And everyone that lives here will tell you the truth. I'm going to tell you the truth. New Mexico is a sh!thole. Albuquerque is the absolute worst. Do not stay overnight here, you most likely will be robbed. Don't drive through here. You will be pulled over. It's not because you are black, it's not because you are white, it's not because you are brown. It's just because. It's because you may have a nice car. The police here are not known to be racist. They shoot all colors and all ages. I'm not lying. Look it up. The police are never convicted. Never. Not even when they kill their own. Look it up. We have the lowest standards in education. We are in the top 5 in everything bad. Look it up. You want to od? Come here to New Mexico. You want to get killed by a drunk driver? Come to New Mexico. You want to get hit by a train? Come to New Mexico. You want to die violently? Come to New Mexico.

You want to die riding in a hot air balloon? Come to New Mexico.

This is the truth.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: galaga
Been there and done that. If you have been a victim of anything you speak of, it is likely due to you being a passive agressive who wears "walk all over me" on your face and demeanor.

None of what you say is true. Never been robbed or died on the hot air balloons. The state is beautiful, one of the most in all of the US in fact. I stay in ABQ for weeks at a time every other year. I got a big family, and my wife's relatives have a big family. We frequently enjoy the sites of the city and the state when we visit with zero, I repeat ZERO incidents, conflicts, or problems of any kind.

Do not exaggerate your personal experiences from a lack of having a spine as an indication of the general state of affairs there.
edit on 1-12-2018 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   
The justice system already out of wack in law enforcement favor. This could lead to more violence towards law enforcement.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

Just come and visit the blue states. Especially, the west coast. We love everyone.

Just try not to get shot.
Blue states are the most violent by a wide margin.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: galaga
I have lived in New Mexico all my life. I was born in Albuquerque. I live in Albuquerque. And everyone that lives here will tell you the truth. I'm going to tell you the truth. New Mexico is a sh!thole. Albuquerque is the absolute worst. Do not stay overnight here, you most likely will be robbed. Don't drive through here. You will be pulled over. It's not because you are black, it's not because you are white, it's not because you are brown. It's just because. It's because you may have a nice car. The police here are not known to be racist. They shoot all colors and all ages. I'm not lying. Look it up. The police are never convicted. Never. Not even when they kill their own. Look it up. We have the lowest standards in education. We are in the top 5 in everything bad. Look it up. You want to od? Come here to New Mexico. You want to get killed by a drunk driver? Come to New Mexico. You want to get hit by a train? Come to New Mexico. You want to die violently? Come to New Mexico.

You want to die riding in a hot air balloon? Come to New Mexico.

This is the truth.

WOW that must suck. I would ask that if it's so bad why do you still live there? Unless of course you are part of the problem. I've been through, and spent time there with no problems as well, driving to and from Ohio. My in-laws pass through twice a year going to Wisconsin. They've been doing it for at least 26 years that I know of. Guess what, NO PROBLEMS.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
a reply to: galaga
Been there and done that. If you have been a victim of anything you speak of, it is likely due to you being a passive agressive who wears "walk all over me" on your face and demeanor.

None of what you say is true. Never been robbed or died on the hot air balloons. The state is beautiful, one of the most in all of the US in fact. I stay in ABQ for weeks at a time every other year. I got a big family, and my wife's relatives have a big family. We frequently enjoy the sites of the city and the state when we visit with zero, I repeat ZERO incidents, conflicts, or problems of any kind.

Do not exaggerate your personal experiences from a lack of having a spine as an indication of the general state of affairs there.

I was waiting for someone like you to respond. You don't live here. Every thing I said was true. The police have beat me. The police have lied on the witness stand about me. My lawyer proved it in court. Sure, the state is absolutely beautiful. It's the underbelly you don't see. I worked 20 years in forensics in this city, along side APD for 10 of those years. Worked many homicide cases. I know what the police do. My cousin was a detective. He was stealing coc aine out of the evidence room. Not just him, him and his friends. It is corrupt. It is bad. It is violent. About a week ago they found a body without a head in one of the most wealthiest neighborhoods in the city. It's the 3rd headless body found in the past few months. Also, the West Side serial killer still hasn't been found. The town of Espanola has more ODs per capita than NYC. That's a fact. I read the report. I went to the conference. Go Google " overnight, robbery, Albuquerque". Do it.

In fact, go to realcrimes.com just to give you a little taste of how violent and corrupt New Mexico really is.

I didn't make up any statistics. I have a spine. That's why I won in court.

I must add, New Mexico has the most beautiful sunset you will ever see. It's is golden, it is pink and orange and purple. That's why we never leave.

edit on 12-1-2018 by galaga because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join