It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trumps comment that used profanity about countries immigrants come from and reactions to it

page: 34
<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

There is no where to go today that you don’t hear or see the word s###hole and Africa and Norway. And he did have an audience unless he’s talking to himself now.

I'm sure there are lots of places in Africa without access to CNN. I'm sure there are lots of places where their lack of access to things like clean water and electricity rate higher as concerns than someone calling their country a name. I'm sure the refugees in South Sudan from Darfur caught in yet another civil war aren't all huddled around their flat screens bemoaning the comments having completely forgotten their water shorrtage, famine, and epidemics looking for reasons to be offended.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: GeechQuestInfo

I posted several videos up thread.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Again, false equivalency.

This is just you trying to defend a failing stance.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: MysticPearl

Even more crazy is when we try to update our immigration laws, using what the rest of the world has learned and implemented, its a natural point to discuss nations who arent producing people with merit.

And he gets smeared for it. Because he uses ugly worda to say the same damned thing everyone already knows: Haiti has a long way to go before they are exporting top shelf and highly educated workers. Its not racist. Its socioeconomic. Its just that in the US the 2 are fairly related

C’mon, you know why he was smeared.

It’s a reasonable conversation to have, except for the fact that you have NO IDEA what person from what nation is going to create the next great thing for humanity.

So when the talk on immigration in regards to exporting top-shelf workers delves into whether the country is an S-hole or not, it’s just plain stupid. When 1 in 5 physicians are descendants from countries which people would refer to as “S-Holes”, it should make you think that maybe deeming who is worthy to come to the US based on nationality alone probably isn’t an intelligent move.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Everyone is reporting that Durbin was the one who reported what Trump said. Like you I don't see Durbin quoted directly, but now the ball is in Durbin's court to deny it. Do you think he's going to?

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: GeechQuestInfo

Even more crazy is when we try to update our immigration laws, using what the rest of the world has learned and implemented, its a natural point to discuss nations who arent producing people with merit.

And he gets smeared for it. Because he uses ugly worda to say the same damned thing everyone already knows: Haiti has a long way to go before they are exporting top shelf and highly educated workers. Its not racist. Its socioeconomic. Its just that in the US the 2 are fairly related

It’s a reasonable conversation to have, except for the fact that you have NO IDEA what person from what nation is going to create the next great thing for humanity.

So when the talk on immigration in regards to exporting top-shelf workers delves into whether the country is an S-hole or not, it’s just plain stupid. When 1 in 5 physicians are descendants from countries which people would refer to as “S-Holes”, it should make you think that maybe deeming who is worthy to come to the US based on nationality alone probably isn’t an intelligent move.

That is a great point and one I mentioned earlier.

The value an immigrant can or will have as a member of society is not necessarily related to their country of origin or the condition their country of origin is in.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Everyone is reporting that Durbin was the one who reported what Trump said. Like you I don't see Durbin quoted directly, but now the ball is in Durbin's court to deny it. Do you think he's going to?

I would just like to see him confirm publicly that trump said it.

All I saw was him say trump said racist things he condemned.

But he said saying chain migration was racist too.

So to me it sounds like Durbin is trying to be slippery and imply he heard trump say it withouty having to go on record as saying he heard trump say it.

However, maybe I just missed Durbin actually sayimg trump said it, so if anyone has a leak I would be more than happy to see it.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   

What's your point?

That this reporter is an ass?

We need asshats like that to make ignorance visible.

What's your point, that he isn't and thus felt no need to answer the question? Deny ignorance, eh?

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: poncho1982

Again, false equivalency.

This is just you trying to defend a failing stance.

I’m not defending anything. You want “real” talk, so quit hiding behind an anon and be real.

You want people to tell it like it is, so tell us who you are and let the board tell you like it is.

You want “real” talk, unless that “real” talk were to hurt YOUR feelings. It’s okay, I’d imagine most people are that way.

When the President offends, it’s just “real” talk.
I’m sure if this board were to know details and offend YOU, it wouldn’t be “real” talk anymore.

I know you said you want “real talk to pandering” (granted nobody was pandering), so post your info and I promise I won’t pander to you and build you up if who you happen to be is someone who the modern world looks down on.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   

"descendents" of ... How many generations did we have to support before the doctor was spawned and how many of their ancestors came from that nation?

My husband has one full blooded Native American grandparent. It does make him mixed race, but in the context of what your'e talking about, that's 1 in 8 to make one a "descendent of."

Basically, my point is how are you counting your doctors in their ancestry to get your stat? If your Egyptian doctor only has one of his eight grandparents as Egyptian, then he's mostly not Egyptian to begin with and how many Egyptians do you take in to get that one involved in the ancestry of your doctor?

Also, how many of our doctors are already trained medical professionals when they are brought into this country which sort of puts them into the pool of "best and brightest," even if they come from those countries, under a merit system? Understand that none of us are against the best and brightest from wherever they happen to be. Another pondering is how many of those doctors who came previously are part of ancestry of your current doctors to bolster your stat?

Stats are great until you realize how little you understand where they came from and how they were compiled.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

That’s sad. I would want to leave and come to America too.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Since it's so important to you, and you deem it of value to be taken seriously in an internet forum conversation.....you first.

I'll wait.
edit on 13-1-2018 by poncho1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   

What makes me laugh, is that the same limousine liberals who are pissing and moaning about this, all live in gated communities and wouldn't be caught dead living next door to the people from these countries. They want to flood the country with immigrants but in truth have absolutely no contact from them, and as a result are completely insulated from the consequences. I would love to see every person who is complaining take 10 immigrants into their house to prove they really care. A place in the nether regions will of course freeze over before this happens. Its nothing but a trendy pet cause to them.

edit on 13-1-2018 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

The value an immigrant can or will have as a member of society is not necessarily related to their country of origin or the condition their country of origin is in.

That is absolutely true.

However, on average, immigrates from worse off countries are not as successful as immigrants from better ones.

Again, thats on average. That doesnt mean the an immigrant from Haiti may not be the most brillaint contirbuter to the US ever though.

The point is our current immigration system is not merit based, and demands we take a lot of people from certain countries, many of them very crummy places.

SO trumps questions, why do we take so many from them, is a good one.

If you are going to have a system that requires immigrants and what country they are from is the first priority, then it makes no sense for it to be crummy ones.

That is why the lottery system is terrible, and why we should go to a merit system, where haitians that met the critieria would be more than welcome to come.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

"descendents" of ... How many generations did we have to support before the doctor was spawned and how many of their ancestors came from that nation?

My husband has one full blooded Native American grandparent. It does make him mixed race, but in the context of what your'e talking about, that's 1 in 8 to make one a "descendent of."

Basically, my point is how are you counting your doctors in their ancestry to get your stat? If your Egyptian doctor only has one of his eight grandparents as Egyptian, then he's mostly not Egyptian to begin with and how many Egyptians do you take in to get that one involved in the ancestry of your doctor?

Also, how many of our doctors are already trained medical professionals when they are brought into this country which sort of puts them into the pool of "best and brightest," even if they come from those countries, under a merit system? Understand that none of us are against the best and brightest from wherever they happen to be. Another pondering is how many of those doctors who came previously are part of ancestry of your current doctors to bolster your stat?

Stats are great until you realize how little you understand where they came from and how they were compiled.

Good question. I was just pointing out that 1 in 5 doctors are descendants from other nations.

Your questions are fine, but in context if we implemented and immigration policy that stated “nobody from S-Hole countries allowed”, I suspect the number of MDs in this country declines.

I could be wrong.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

originally posted by: introvert

The point you bring up is a good one, but in fact it is a factor that is harming these countries. If we make it easier for the best and the brightest to come here, that is exactly who is best able to fix things in their native countries. In effect we are draining their potential for improvement. In effect letting people immigrate here actually is hurting places like Haiti because all the people with the most potential are leaving.

That is absolutely true.

However, on average, immigrates from worse off countries are not as successful as immigrants from better ones.

Again, thats on average. That doesnt mean the an immigrant from Haiti may not be the most brillaint contirbuter to the US ever though.

The point is our current immigration system is not merit based, and demands we take a lot of people from certain countries, many of them very crummy places.

SO trumps questions, why do we take so many from them, is a good one.

If you are going to have a system that requires immigrants and what country they are from is the first priority, then it makes no sense for it to be crummy ones.

That is why the lottery system is terrible, and why we should go to a merit system, where haitians that met the critieria would be more than welcome to come.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: poncho1982

Since it's so important to you, and you deem it of value to be taken seriously in an internet forum conversation.....you first.

I'll wait.

It’s not important to me.

I could care less.

I just think modern decorum and decency is important, especially from a President. I think that’s learned in Presidency 101 at the Wharton School of Penn.

You laughed at that thought of decency stating the modern world isn’t decent, implying why should the President be.

I don’t need “real” talk all the time. If I was “real” with my wife I’d get nagged at more than I already am.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   

"His hateful immigration remarks reflect the values of many Americans"

quote: Roxane Gay - "No One Is Coming to Save Us From Trump's Racism" - NYT's - OP-ED - Saturday, Jan. 13, 2018

"Donald Trump has not, to say the least, risen from a hole. But he is sinking into one. It may be that it won't damage him politically --- Republican party leaders, increasingly unshameable, will mumble mild disapproval until the news cycle turns --- but it does damage the country. We have a president even more ignorant of America than he is of the rest of the world.
Maybe there is really something wrong with the president's head. Modify with any four letters you wish."

quote: Bret Stephens - "Proud to Live In a Nation of Holers" - NYT's - OP-ED - Saturday, Janurary 13, 2018

"Donald Trump is by no means America's first racist president. But he ran a campaign explicitly rooted in bigotry, exclusion and white resentment. To his die-hard but ever-shrinking base, comments like those he made on Thursday only reaffirm his solidarity with the cause. The Daily Stormer, a neo-Nazi website, certainly saw it this way. 'This is encouraging and refreshing, as it indicates Trump is more or less on the same page as us with regards to race and immigration,' the site wrote in a post."

quote: Opinion - EDITORIAL - "So Much for the Beacon of Hope" - NYT's - Saturday, January 13, 2018
edit on 13-1-2018 by Erno86 because: spelling

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Where has "decency" gotten us?

Countless wars, trillions in debt, invasive laws, unconstitutional policies, erosion of our rights. . . . .

Yeah, we've had a #hole of decency.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Why did you insert "based on nation only"?

The discussion Trump is having is that he will only support a merit based system.

Is it unreasonable? It works well for Canada.

top topics

<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join