It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two suns? No, it's a supernova drawn 6,000 years ago, say scientists

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 04:29 PM
link   
www.theguardian.com...

For decades, stone carvings unearthed in the Himalayan territory of Kashmir were thought to depict a hunting scene. But the presence of two celestial objects in the drawings has piqued the interest of a group of Indian astronomers...the Kashmir rock drawings may be the oldest depiction of a supernova, the final explosion of a dying star, ever discovered.

Archaeologists found the carvings nearly half a century ago in Kashmir’s Burzahama site, where the oldest settlements have been dated to about 4,300BC. It showed two hunters, a bull, and two beaming disks in the sky initially speculated to be two suns

Vahia and his team searched their catalogue, guided by the ancient depiction. “We needed one that would have been brighter than the moon in the night sky and visible in the daytime,” he said...They settled on Supernova HB9, a star that exploded around 4,600BC.

The astronomers no longer believed the ancient artists had depicted a hunting scene illuminated by a spectacular supernova. “They had drawn the entire sky.”

Just came across this. I've never seen these drawings before. The explanation seems to make sense. I don't know what a supernova would look like, whether it would be bright enough to look like a second sun and inspire drawings like that.
What do you guys think?
edit on 11/1/2018 by dug88 because: w

edit on 11/1/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88
www.theguardian.com...

What do you guys think?

i think its awesome this exists but i dont know.
i dont know what a supernova looks like either.

i am reasonably confident it does not look like an whack archer, a weird moose on a spit and gumby throwing a javelin.

and whats up with the dog animal with the huge piece?

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Why couldn't it be sun and moon?

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

That's pretty neat, if that's the case...the timing/dating seems like it could be plausible.

I wonder, though--are there any other examples of ancient drawings like this that indicate two different positions of the sun in the sky to indicate, say, how long they were hunting, or the best parts of the day during which to hunt for that/those specific animal(s)?

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: scubagravy

I agree.

Like it took them all day and night to hunt their prey.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Supernova have been observed through thousands of years of human civilisation. Some would be as bright as the full moon. One of the earliest documented supernova was in 185AD - a mysterious "guest star" than remained in the sky for eight months. Others in 1054AD, 1572AD, 1604AD

The burst of energetic particles that follows the visual explosion could affect the atmosphere.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

www.theguardian.com...

What do you guys think?

i am reasonably confident it does not look like an whack archer, a weird moose on a spit and gumby throwing a javelin.

In the article it mentions that they believe it's actually a picture of the sky and the animals and hunter are actually constellations. There's a bit more in there about how they correlated the area of the sky near the site with constellations that would have been visible.

It does also mention how this discovery would push the oldest discovered back from the 800bc one found in China which is currently the oldest recorded supernova. So there may be some politics at work with this theory.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Waiting for an eclipse seems to take forever its like watching a dog chasing its tail.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

www.theguardian.com...

What do you guys think?

Hahahaha.

The dog is hung like a whale, huh?

My first thought was that this is simply a depiction of the moon and Sun.
edit on 11-1-2018 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   
It could also be the 1st depiction of the flying spaghetti monster.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Could be as simple as depicting a 2 day hunt.
edit on 1/11/2018 by Gargoyle91 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/11/2018 by Gargoyle91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Didn't Immanuel Velikovsky have a well thought out explanation for these ancient depictions of our sky?

Oh, my apologies, that type of information is not accepted around here.

My bad.

edit on 11-1-2018 by ClovenSky because: Added pictures

edit on 11-1-2018 by ClovenSky because: Added Video

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   

www.theguardian.com...

Don't let a Democrat (or feminist) see this drawing, they will scream SEXIST!!!!!!

Since everyone pictured has a penis.

SEXIST!!! BIGOTS!!! MUST HAVE BEEN DRAWN BY ANCIENT CONSERVATIVES!!!!!!

On topic, i would assume a moon and sun or even 2 stars before I'd ever consider a supernova.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gargoyle91
Could be as simple as depicting a 2 day hunt.

I like this one. Simplest explanations tend to be the best.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Because we always see the supernova when the suns out

It's so defined and bright...........not

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: CaptainBeno

Depends on the star size, type, and proximity to Earth.

Legend has it that when Betelgeuse goes boom (it may have already done so) itll be visible even during the day and for about 30 to 40 days.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   

I believe it represents the position of the sun during the best hours for dear (or similar) hunting in that area. "7 am to 9 am".

edit on 11-1-2018 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
It could also be the 1st depiction of the flying spaghetti monster.
Hunting party seeing 2 discs on their sides surrounded by lights.. Looks like the figures ore on a hill one with a bow while the other shields his eyes his left hand on his hip doesn't look like a throwing motion. They watch as their dog is abducted through the air by the UFO's Seems to be more writing on the rock then the drawling.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Supernovas are one of the brightest galactic events. Fermi HB9 supernova
HB9 was approximately 3000 light years from earth, so it went supernova around 9000BC.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: ClovenSky

Oh, my apologies, that type of information is not accepted around here.

..... come chat with me. A little turtle told me of Velikovsky once. But I’ve never got to discuss it much.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join