It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russell Simmons Calls For Boycott of KFC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Are all these celebrities practicing vegetarians? Or is it that KFC's practices are that bad?

Rap mogul speaks out against KFC

NEW YORK -- Hip-hop impresario Russell Simmons is joining other celebrities and activists in a call for boycotts against Kentucky Fried Chicken.

He called slaughter practices used by the fast-food chain's suppliers "grossly inhumane" and has filmed a commercial "showing some of the very worst abuses chickens undergo" before they are served to customers, the Daily News reported Sunday.

Simmons, who is chairman of Def Jam Records said he has talked to officials of Yum! Brands, the parent company of KFC, and said he will release the ad and start a boycott if the company does not reform its practices.

The chain has about 250 within the five boroughs.

"When a company targets our community, disrespects us as consumers and sells us products ridden with negative energy and laced with toxins, that is our business," said Simmons.

Can any New Yorker fill me in the New York KFC practices? Is it different from the rest of the country?

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
Can any New Yorker fill me in the New York KFC practices? Is it different from the rest of the country?

I think he's just addressing his audience in kind, as KFC has addressed theirs.

There's probably not 250 KFC's in Fargo, but there are in NYC.

I don't know that KFC is worse than any others, but I know chicken farms and slaughterhouses are digusting. But you can't boycott those. Just the consumer end of the process. And KFC is the leader.

The minority targeting (they obviously do) is just another aspect.

We've gone all through this with cigarettes and alcohol too. Big companies tend to market the worst of the worst in black communities.

If one were to compare KFC practices (including how they treat employees) to those of say Chic-Fil-A... you'll find plenty.

Healthier food, cleaner practices, better benefits, targeting white suburban locales, etc.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   
thanks Rant

I found this site, it helped
www.kentuckyfriedcruelty.com...

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
I found this site, it helped

That is interesting. I like the fact they reward/acknowledge chains making progress like McD's and Dennys.

Shows a very reasonable side to the PETA backed group.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   
that's was interesting to see, but even so, the way our food gets to our table is so nasty and ughhh
I give in to my kids because they are just kids, but free range chicken is so much tastier.

top topics

join