It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Downsizing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   
A social satire in which a man realizes he would have a better life if he were to shrink himself to five inches tall, allowing him to live in wealth and splendor.

Wow what a let down.

The sci fi aspect was made completely irrelevant and could have completely been left out of the movie. It could have just as easily been made without that scifi aspect at all, but then most people wouldn't have bothered to watch it . It was a 80% drama, 19.9% politics , and .000999 sci fi with a non delivering ending.

The trailer was completely deceiving in setting up the story and the mood of the story. If you think you are going to watch a sci fi movie with some comedic aspect then don't even bother. You will get a non drama drama movie leaving you thinking the whole time its going to get better, but it never does.

It wasn't even so much the obvious political agenda , it was that it sucked all around including the plot buildup. It just never delivers anything even the dramatic moments. I typically enjoy Matt Damons movie but the character in the trailer was not the character in the movie nor the tone in the movie. The best part of the movie is in the commercial.

Man I hope someone re does the movie as it has so much potential and gets it right.

I honestly can only think that they edited the commercial after screen testing it with people. If the commercial actually depicted the movie and the tone of the movie it would have flopped bigger than it likely will. They must have edited to try to get people to watch it.
edit on 26131America/ChicagoThu, 11 Jan 2018 15:26:37 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

I noticed this one died at the box office.
What agenda was being pushed in the movie?
I'm curious...

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I noticed this one died at the box office. What agenda was being pushed in the movie? I'm curious...

The typical Humans suck , a little American bashing , and global warming thing.

Which I could have overlooked if at least it was entertaining.

Maybe it was just me but I felt it was a complete let down of a movie. Perhaps the bait and switch of the trailer killed it for me? I'm curious what other think of it?

I guess I wasn't the only one that felt the same.

Youtube commenter on the trailer.

We've all heard about movies where the best parts are played in the movie trailers and then the rest of the movie sucks.... this is one of them.

Dont watch the movie...its a trap. Nothing like the trailer

Yeah it’s definitely not a comedy...

it is not like the trailer...trust me and it is sh1t

Josh Alar 100% if ur thinking its a fun / comedy movie abt couple who shrink themselves and show u how they live small sized... UR WORNG

This movie was very preachy. It was good in the beginning, but it gradually went downhill. I'd give this movie a 2/5 Matt Damons. Cool concept, but it got super dumb half way through.

edit on 34131America/ChicagoThu, 11 Jan 2018 15:34:59 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I found the ending uplifting.

The protagonist, Damon, was an everyday kind of schmo going about his everyday humdrum life and chose to downsize for his own American Dream. He soon finds that ''the American Dream'' is only that and only for those who can afford it. No matter what you do, most will end up in poverty and working for the successful.

Enter the character of the one legged woman. A ball-busting heroine who has a heartfelt desire to help those less fortunate than herself, herself living in a down trodden and antiquated apartment complex with one room. Suffering as she is she is always looking out for the betterment of other people. It is her nature.

Slowly he comes to admire her and help her in her pursuit of caring for other people.

Cut to the end of the movie when we have found that the world is going to end. The methane released from the melting of the poles has doomed us all. The original little community where they still live simple lives rather than the lush rich lives of other enclaves has decided that they must prepare for the future and have constructed an underground facility in which they can retire and save themselves from the coming doom of the species. Not only themselves but to insure the future of humans on the planet.

Damon is faced with an existential delimia. Will he go off down the tunnel to live in relative comfort away from the dying of humanity and so put his efforts for the future of the species

or stay with the woman, living in poverty knowing that the end is coming and work to lessen the suffering of the poor around them.

He is faced with a choice of service to humanity as those seem the only two choices left. The choice of the woman to serve the poor NOW rather than save herself wins in the end and he makes his choice.

The movie was a fable, not a scifi movie. As a sci/fi movie it was a dud. As a fable, a parable, it was very warming.

Not to mention the woman playing the ball busting heroine put in a performance of excellence.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Oh, the old bait and switch combined with a spanking....gotcha.

Remember sucker punch?
Or bridge to terabithia?

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Like I said it was the exact opposite of the what I was expecting to watch from the trailer. That likely increased my disappointment of the movie ,since that was not what I was in the mood to watch.

regardless the whole movie felt slow,depressing,un original and boring for me.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

Like I said it was the exact opposite of the what I was expecting to watch from the trailer. That likely increased my disappointment of the movie ,since that was not what I was in the mood to watch.

regardless the whole movie felt slow,depressing,un original and boring for me.

Sometimes when I go to a movie it is just to be entertained. If that was all I had expected from this one, I would have been disappointed to. For me though, I try to not anticipate a movie to much. Like you I have been aware for a long time that the trailers always use the bits of a movie that will attract the most people to pay their money to see it, and hence try not to build expectation around what the trailers offer.

The novel concept of the downsizing is what attracted me and that played out in a more sociological manner than what I might have expected. Damon continued to be a hum drum even as he was downsized. But what carried me through the middle of the film was the acting of the one legged woman. She was just great.

Some times movies are only to entertain. Sometimes they are to deliver a message. If they are going to deliver a message it either may or may not be one that we can think about. I hate movies that have a message that do not demand we think about them. Only movies that offer a chance to think about what is being offered.

This one again, for those who didn't hate it offered a parable of doom and how we might choose to face it.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   

When I go to the movies, I go with very low expectations.
Hard to be let down that way.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

With many of today's movies this is a wise course of action.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Your review is spot on, total bait and switch, any comedy fades fast and all that’s left is a strage lazyily put together storyline that leaves the sci-fi aspect behind and pretty much makes it irrelevant.

My wife and I were excited to watch it but halfway through we’re both just waiting for it to wrap up, thinking it may have some redeeming value in the end (it doesn’t).

It reminded us both of “this is 40”, a movie advertised as a comedy that had a couple laughs in the beginning but quickly turned into a depressing look at the downsides of marriage.

If there’s nothing else to watch, check it out, but don’t expect a feel good comedy with sci-fi sprinkled in like the trailers portray.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantumgamer1776

Yeah I don't get why they just don't make the movie they put in the trailer.

I get that they need to sell it, but anyone expecting to see a light comedy with scifi is going to be absolutely disappointed. Which will create negative feedback.

It was a complete bait and switch

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 09:10 PM
link   
My rant about supposedly scifi movies is they are really horror movies. I hate horror movies. It's like they've run out of scifi ideas unless its about zombies or the end of the world disaster films. Enough already.

I want a well written, well acted, well directed scifi movie.

This one sounds like a hodge-podge stinker. A mish-mash to please everyone-yuk-Hollywood.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justso
My rant about supposedly scifi movies is they are really horror movies. I hate horror movies. It's like they've run out of scifi ideas unless its about zombies or the end of the world disaster films. Enough already.

I want a well written, well acted, well directed scifi movie.

l.

i feel the same , but you are lucky even if you get some horror.

typically it's a ratio of 1% scifi, 5% horror and 94% drama. thats why i couldn't stand the walking dead either. no sci fi just human in fighting and struggles.
same stuff over and over. i guess with sci fi you have to put some effort in the writing and thought process.

its like they use the same cookie cutter script and just substitute zombies for vampires, warevolve,,shrunk people, etc.

edit on 55131America/ChicagoThu, 11 Jan 2018 21:55:08 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 11:01 PM
link   

I asked the wife the other day if she wanted to watch this.
She said it seemed like nothing more than a honey I shrunk the kids rip off.

Sounds like we made the right move by skipping this one,

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   
If a man were able to shrink himself down to that size it would give him a brain so small he would only be able to converse with people like the Obama's and Clinton's. a reply to: interupt42

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: gimcrackery
If a man were able to shrink himself down to that size it would give him a brain so small he would only be able to converse with people like the Obama's and Clinton's. a reply to: interupt42

but imagine if we got to only shrink part of ourself

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I'm going to watch this movie, thanks for sharing.

top topics

join