It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The extreme heat in Australia is causing bats' brains to fry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
www.usatoday.com...

Animal rescuers in Sydney's outlying suburbs described "heartbreaking” scenes of Australia's largest but vulnerable-listed bat species dying by the hundreds, if not thousands.

Volunteers had used fluids to save 80 juvenile "flying foxes” but at least 500 youngsters had succumbed to the heatwave, said Cate Ryan of the WIRES wildlife group from Campelltown, west of Sydney.

They are regarded as "keystone pollinators and seed dispersers” for over 100 species of Australian native trees and plants but are sometimes hunted or netted as nuisance foragers by fruit-growing orchardists.

More bad news for bats. Bats are really amazing animals and provide more for biodiversity and even agriculture than most people realize.

They've been esitmates to be worth between 3.7 billion and 57 billion dollars worldwide.

Bats are really fragile and don't handle changes to their environment well. Bats in North America have been severely threatened by the spread of white-nose syndrome a fungus that grows on their wings and nose, spread to North America by cavers from Europe, makes bats wake up during hibernation causing them to starve to death. Bats here have no resistance to the disease and as much as 90% of a colony can be wiped out in one winter.

I was lucky enough to get to spend a couple of years reaearching these wonderful animals and they really are amazing.
edit on 11/1/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

The Australian federal government in an "action plan" launched in 1999 said loss of native habitat and destruction of roosting and foraging spots had left the species "vulnerable."

Same old story , habitat loss is destroying wildlife around the world.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Iguanas falling from trees in Florida after freezing, Bats are boiling alive down under ,, Na Global warming isn't a thing .

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Such a sag report. They're saying that one fruit bat colony will probably not make it.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   
It was 38 degrees celsius here the other day/100.4 fahrenheit, funny thing is that it snows in Winter

The Sun really packs a punch here. You can feel it burning your skin. In contrast I've been to Hawaii and the weathers warm but there's no stinging sun

Damn that hole in the ozone!!

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Oh noooo! I love bats! I remember how heartbreaking it was when we were losing so many of our bats to white nose syndrome here in the States.

I can't imagine temps being so high they would be killing bats off. Poor sweet things!

Silo, I loved your video! So many people freak out over bats, but look at that sweet face! They eat mosquitos, that makes for a hero in my book!

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   

I don't think we've actually even had any of those those "heatwaves" that are irconic in Australia yet, we've just had a few out of the blue really hot days...

Traditionally our hottest days of the year happen in January & February, but last year was different... We didn't start having those brutally hot heatwaves till later on.

I remember leaving work one time last year at 3.30am (us usual) and it was still over 30 degrees... in late April... now you know its a heatwave when its still over 30 degrees in late April in Melbourne at 3.30am... forget about the bats, my brain was frying.

Point being, I think if last year was anything to go by, the worst yet to come.

edit on 11-1-2018 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Why don't you check the summer's we get down in Yuma, AZ... last summer we got 122°F

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Species extinction is a thinge.

Been going on for hundreds of millions of years.

The environment is gradually cleaning out all the backwards species.

Evolve or die off.

That's the law of the land.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   
There has not been any extreme heat in Aus this year.

Temps up to 45C are a normal summer.

The temps talked about in the article are not extreme.

P

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Haven't we been getting articles about this sort of thing happening to fruit bats for a while now?

I am wondering which is more likely:

1. Sudden extremes in temp.

2. Habitat loss which restricts the bats' range making them vulnerable to the hottest days of the year.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Theyve had to cull fruitbats because theres too many. 200 of them will decend on 1 tree and snap the branches from their weight, they destroyed a heap of historic trees in the Royal Botanic Gardens.

I went over to Bendigo the other week and theres thousands of those bats in the main park (they stink so hard) - theyre not going to be endangered anytime soon

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Fried bat brains? I guess when it is hot, a cold beer really tastes good, they need to learn to stop before getting too drunk.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 12:20 AM
link   
so, this explains where all that global warming is,australia stole it all. snow in the sahara desert the other day and record cold in the eastern U.S. doesn`t say global warming to me. it says pole shift.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 12:29 AM
link   
It's always the animals that suffer. The weather has been a little crazy all over the world recently for some reason. It gets hot in the U.K (For about a week a year) but not hot enough to put animals at this sort of risk.

I imagine in Austrailia in the summer it can get very very hot. A place I hope to visit one day

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 12:54 AM
link   
The polar and equatorial vortexs are being pulled askew-this is due to our planet wobbling on its axis courtesy of planet x's magnetic gravitational effects. THis is what is driving the weather anomalies.

The sun and moon are out of position frequently, this will soon become more obvious. Most of the public haven't noticed this yet, and I'm surprised we have members here still suggesting global warming or ozone holes, this is not the case.

You will all see a large red planet in the sky (with entourage) soon, it is visible every day actually, but you will need a clear view of the horizon and decent weather conditions, have your back to the sun and view the 6-9 o'clock positions from the sun, sun is 12 o'clock.

I have three years of documented photos and observations here. Thread was closed for a reason!

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 12-1-2018 by EndOfDays77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 02:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: bluechevytree
so, this explains where all that global warming is,australia stole it all. snow in the sahara desert the other day and record cold in the eastern U.S. doesn`t say global warming to me. it says pole shift.

I think the axis had tilted over and the equator has moved as a result, but I’m no expert lol

It seems the seasons are off and the sun is in a different position in the sky during certain times of year.

Im in round three of another ice storm. It looks like a frozen wasteland

top topics

join