It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart is abruptly closing 63 Sam's Club stores and laying off thousands of workers

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   
So Is that big ole wall street bubble about to pop again? I lost everything in 08, was comfortably retired, forced to go back to work...Best thing that ever happened to me; Livin the dream now instead of drinking myself to death!!
I'm out of the mkt. before it explodes....
edit on 11-1-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
So Is that big ole wall street bubble about to pop again?

I'm out before it explodes....

I don't think so. Consumer confidence hasn't dipped at all and spending continues to climb. I think this is the Amazon effect. Anything sold at Sam's can be bought for the same or even less on Amazon, Prime gives you free shipping, and now Amazon even has same day delivery for groceries in a number of markets. This is the evolution of shopping continuing a decade-long trend away from brick and mortar and towards digital experiences.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Sam isn't an idiot. He knows that Trumps "trickle down" will doom his big box. Other Walmarts are bailing as well.

all closing....

Payless ShoeSource - 400 stores.
JC Penney - 138 stores.
Macy's - 68 stores.
Sears and K Mart - 150 stores.
HH Gregg - 88 stores.
Abercrombie & Fitch - 60 stores.
Guess - 60 stores.

Hand writing on the wall....

By far, the dominant factor for all of these closings is Amazon!

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Sam isn't an idiot. He knows that Trumps "trickle down" will doom his big box. Other Walmarts are bailing as well.

How does a dead guy know anything?

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

That is one thing that concerns me. I've noticed in the last year price creep on Amazon. Sometimes I look at old orders and i'm really surprised with the price difference. I noticed in our area that grocery delivery is picking up too, we even have a milkman delivering again. Sure seems like this generation just doesn't like shopping in stores!

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   

all closing....

JC Penney - 138 stores.
Macy's - 68 stores.
HH Gregg - 88 stores.
Guess - 60 stores.

Evolve or get replaced...look at the evolution of Netflix compared to Blockbuster..

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   
lol the irony...

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Yea, well.......they been tampering with it since the 1960's. As an operative paradigm, its dead.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

Yea, well.......they been tampering with it since the 1960's. As an operative paradigm, its dead.

Well then, hand me a set of defib paddles, let's elctrify that bitch, pump some thorazine into her when she's conscious, and get natural law and consequences back on her feet and running in the USA.

Seriously, it is never too late to correct mistakes. Attempting to remove the natural consequences of one's own decisions was a royal mistake in America and needs to be corrected yesterday.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Ten of the closed stores will be turned into e-commerce distribution centers.

To me, it looks like Walmart is getting ready to compete with Amazon Big League!

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

so true, so true!
Walmart and Amazon's long-simmering feud exploded in 2017 — and it's redefining retail

Looks like Walmart is just cutting off dead wood with these closures....

www.businessinsider.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

all closing....

JC Penney - 138 stores.
Macy's - 68 stores.
HH Gregg - 88 stores.
Guess - 60 stores.

Evolve or get replaced...look at the evolution of Netflix compared to Blockbuster..

For the economic and business illiterate progressive, they have no memory of failed businesses that at one point were dominating their industry.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnonymousCitizen
As a Costco shopper, I am sad to see Sam's stores close. Less competition is rarely good for the consumer.

In my area, Aldi's is giving them all a run for their money. The top three used to be Sam's, Costco's, and BJ's.

Now the the top ones are Costco, Sam's/Aldi's, then BJ's. Aldi's and Sam's are pretty much running neck and neck.

edit on 11-1-2018 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Spelling corrections.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Quick observation...
Most Sams Clubs are next to a Wal-Mart. Since Wal-Mart started carrying food (Super Wal-Mart's)

Essentially they were competing with themselves. They are driving themselves out of business.

But that's just my opinion.

Edit: see my point..

edit on 11-1-2018 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   

all closing....

JC Penney - 138 stores.
Macy's - 68 stores.
HH Gregg - 88 stores.
Guess - 60 stores.

This is just the beginning. Retail as we know it is on the decline. Amazon is only part of it. This push for a $15 an hour minimum wage is a large part of it. 45 of us got laid off last Wednesday. We produced point of purchase displays for the retail market.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

For the economic and business illiterate progressive, they have no memory of failed businesses that at one point were dominating their industry.

Seems the big concern was back when Walmart were replacing the small stores with their super center. Lot's of concerns for the mom and pop stores disappearing..well now they can come back.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

45 of us got laid off last Wednesday

Sorry to hear that.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Why bitch about Wal-Mart?
Bezos is worth over 100 billion today.

Business is changing and people better hang on tight.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Another side of this is that buying in bulk requires you to be more frugal with your spending (short term, actually saves you money in the long run). That's something a lot of young people haven't been taught.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   

all closing....

JC Penney - 138 stores.
Macy's - 68 stores.
HH Gregg - 88 stores.
Guess - 60 stores.

Well seing a show most stores are ONLINE these days its only righ tto close some real locations don tyou think? This is th ephasing out of retail jobs. thats it. Its not due to them going to lose money.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join