It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump reverses stance on surveillance law in series of contradicting tweets

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   
He is a walking contradiction, and so are many of his big wig supporters. Anti-establishment? Not a chance. By the way, the GOP majority held House today voted 'in favor' to renew a key surveillance program.

In a confusing series of tweets, Donald Trump on Thursday pushed the House to renew a critical national security program that allows spy agencies to collect intelligence on foreign targets abroad, after having earlier attacked the legislation.

A White House official said staffers had consulted with Trump after his initial tweet opposing the administration’s stance.

The House passed a bill this morning to reauthorize the key foreign intelligence collection program with an important tweak. It requires the FBI to get a warrant if it wants to view the contents of Americans’ communications swept up in the process.

www.theguardian.com...

His administration has been lobbying hard for sweeping surveillance laws over the past year. Trump himself has been in the habit of attacking free press as well so the combination is looking off.

Meanwhile we have his supporters like Alex Jones who keep their mouths shut and deflect.

Oh there's plenty of walking contradictions behind Trump - the same chumps who complained about all the rights removed under the sun under the previous administrations are now sitting silent. Funny that?
edit on 11-1-2018 by Southern Guardian because: Spelling

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   
it's a good thing he just tweets whatever fox tells him to. that network is a real brain trust so surely nothing will go wrong...

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Some news that actually matters for a change. But where are the tweets? The EO from yesterday seemed like a backpeddle if anything.

And why the Corporate News Network jab? They arent "Free Press". You torpedo your own thread with such drivel.
edit on 11-1-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

There is no bigger contradiction than Trump critics whining bout surveillance then hiring a private 'intelligence' company to spy on their political opponent.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   

"The president shows all four warning signs of a dangerous authoritarian."

quote: "Trump's Threat To Democracy - by Nicholas Kristof - New York Times OP-ED Thursday, January 11, 2018

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Even though the bill passed the house, I'm just glad that I have a congressman who voted against it, along with a senator who is threatening to filibuster the vote in the senate.

As for what the president tweets--who cares. He's not a lawmaker, he'll just either sign something or he will not.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   
So where are all these tweets?sounds just like Russia,No Korea,more BS with no merit,just like a liberal

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldtimer2

“House votes on controversial FISA ACT today.” This is the act that may have been used, with the help of the discredited and phony Dossier, to so badly surveil and abuse the Trump Campaign by the previous administration and others?

twitter.com...

With that being said, I have personally directed the fix to the unmasking process since taking office and today’s vote is about foreign surveillance of foreign bad guys on foreign land. We need it! Get smart!

twitter.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   
An actual, valid criticism of Trump?

Thanks OP for something of substance for once!

We should all be miffed about this.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Onward together!Resist..Resist!LMAO!

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   
But but what about the "DEEP STATE" that Cult45 keep harping about?

One week they're all crying "Deep State deep state" then Trump farts, his acolytes inhale his latest stench & regurgitate ad-nauseam the new blather point.

K~

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Please share the series of contradicting tweets that you refer to in your subject line.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I think the tweets show Trump had no idea what he was talking about.

I liked the order he put out yesterday, calling for more openess in the Fisa process.

But him criticizing fisa in one tweet, then praising it 90 minutes later shows to me that he was shooting his mouth off without being fully informed.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

I checked the article they werent there.

But the one article explains that Trump Admin been lobbying hard to push the noise.

About out of patience with the Chump.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Calm down. It will only affect foreigners. You read that? FOREIGNERS! It's like the Chinese Wall, essentially. He will need this law to get to the bottom of the draco-reptilian connection from the newest q-intel. Just trust the Trumplar and his white helmets... err... hats, white hats with this!

Maga!

(Don't delete this post, it's roughly on topic. And I promise to stay in the pit. Eventually...)

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

There is no bigger contradiction than Trump critics whining bout surveillance then hiring a private 'intelligence' company to spy on their political opponent.

I don't know.... Die hard supporters crying about him being spied on when their candidate is for surveillance programs.

All of Americans are being watched.... So long as that happens then politicians should be too. If they want a law so bad it should apply to them as well. On both sides of the isle.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   

im hopeful, this is just, trump didnt realize until now how powerful his enemies would be that he would need such power as this to counter them...

Qanon seems to imply the NSA is helping trump take down the CIA, would explain why he'd change his mind on taking away NSA powers. if this is the case its revealing and relieving to see the house backing it up.

my sig has more qanon info for anyone interested.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
a reply to: carewemust

I checked the article they werent there.

But the one article explains that Trump Admin been lobbying hard to push the noise.

About out of patience with the Chump.

Well, what do you think of him calling several countries SH_THOLES?

“Why are we having all these people from #hole countries come here?” Trump said, according to these people, referring to African countries and Haiti. He then suggested that the United States should instead bring more people from countries like Norway, whose prime minister he met Wednesday.

time.com...-countries/

edit on 1/11/2018 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 06:01 PM
link   

The programs rest on the notion that they are “targeting” foreigners, but they also collect massive amounts of data on Americans, including wholly domestic communications. Amazingly, the intelligence community has never disclosed how much. Numerous members of Congress have requested an estimate since 2011, but both the Obama and Trump administrations have refused to provide one.

The bill also consolidates the FBI’s legal authority to search those communications without a warrant. Under current rules, the NSA shares certain kinds of information it collects under Section 702 with the FBI, whose agents can then search it in the course of investigating crimes unrelated to national security. In a secret court hearing in 2015, a lawyer for the Justice Department compared the frequency of those searches to the use of Google.

On Thursday, the House failed to pass an amendment to the bill offered by Rep. Justin Amash, R.-Mich., which would have required federal law enforcement agents to get a warrant before searching NSA data for information on Americans. The amendment was defeated 183-233, with 125 Democrats voting for it and 55 Democrats against, including Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif.

theintercept.com...

Unite the right! Good thing is, that you guys had this Nunes fella circulating flyers to make it happen...

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I wish someone in DC would justify this.

Didn't like it when the Obama administration spied on Americans, I don't like it when Trump's administration does it either.

I'll have to search ATS to see if anyone here supported it when Obama signed it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join