It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wal Mart increasing mimimum wage and benefits; say tax reform is a reason

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Observation from my wife as a department head is all.

The younger the people hired, the worse their work. They have to be hunted down, they are not where they are suppose to be. They constantly call in sick. They constantly complain about the work that they have to do.

Her other observation: people over 30 tend to be on time, be where they are suppose to be. Rarely call in sick. Work quite hard. and the kicker:

Thankful to have a damn job.

So yes: entitled young that think they should have everything handed to them for sitting on their asses.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Wal Mart increasing mimimum wage and benefits; say tax reform is a reason

YAY!

Now people can make more money selling pure snip!!

God bless 'Murica!
edit on 11-1-2018 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

The poor and rich would call for war if there is ever a flat tax.

Definitely the uber rich. The deductions game is a sham against the working middle class.

A flat taxed system would make the uber rich pay their fair share with no loop holes and they can't have that. The key is no deductions.
edit on 20131America/ChicagoThu, 11 Jan 2018 12:20:33 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Slight Update:

Wal-Mart also announced today that they're closing some Sam's Club locations in at least 10 States, including all locations in Alaska. Thousands of employees are being laid off because of it.

Walmart shuttered Sam’s Club locations throughout the country Thursday.

There were reports of stores closing in more than 10 states, including Arizona, Illinois, Maryland, Alaska, Ohio, New York, Connecticut, Louisiana, Texas, Indiana, New Jersey, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and Tennessee.

The company tweeted that the company reviewed their portfolio and closing clubs, which is what they call stores, to "better align our locations with our strategy. Closing clubs is never easy and we're committed to working with impacted members and associates through this transition."

All Sam’s Club locations in Alaska are closing, KTVA TV reported.

Sam's Club stores close around the country

And here are more articles about it from the last 30 minutes or so:

Memphis Sam's Club location closed for good

Walmart is abruptly closing several Sam's Club stores and laying off thousands of workers, and no one knows why

Is Walmart closing? No, some Sam's Clubs are closing: What you need to know

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Observation from my wife as a department head is all.

There you have it, like I said, sounds like a managers opinion.

No offense intended to the Misses.

Walmart turnover.rate

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Lot's of reports of this flooding in right now. This article from Business Insider lists 31 locations known to have closed but I'm reading elsewhere that it could be as many as 60 or more.

All closed without notice.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

My hope is that no one will actually defend Wal Mart, beyond pointing out that business operate where $$$ is.

But the way they treat their employees leaves much to be desired, for the most part.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   
If these people lost their jobs with almost no notice that is incredibly terrible.

I have seen people go through that and it sucks.

I think retail stores like Wal mart will be closing more an more as online shopping becomes more popular.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
If these people lost their jobs with almost no notice that is incredibly terrible.

I have seen people go through that and it sucks.

I think retail stores like Wal mart will be closing more an more as online shopping becomes more popular.

The thing is sometimes companies don't want employees to know a store / plant is shutting down. Not all people react well to negative news.

I recall when I was a management consultant in mid 90s, we were advising executives of a large manufacturer. One of the issues was whether to close a plant or not. It was a relatively small town where the company was located. Anyway, we had to go to Kinko's to get the Board presentation bound & ready. We literally sent an analyst some 75 miles out of the way to another Kinko's to get the copies made because we were afraid one of the local Kinko's employees might see in the presentation the Board as discussing whether to keep the local plant open (type of town where everyone one knows someone working at "the plant" type of situation.

Wal-Mart has thousands of stores. A few dozen closing isn't surprising. Companies don't keep locations open if they aren't performing.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I can attest to this.

As a consumer, I would not want to buy meat from a grocer that was in the process of winding down their operation. I've executed the WARN act a couple of times in my life, and am familiar with the instant disappearance of work ethic and focus that happens when someone knows they won't be employed in 2 weeks (or however long).

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Here is one that is local to me. Opened in 2015. Closing in 2018. Makes little sense...

WSLS 10

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Hopefully its a company wide thing, and they will do the same for Asda workers in the UK as well? (Walmart own Asda).

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Yeah, I came across it by chance. Then I did a search & saw more articles from various local newspapers around the country.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I can't believe you guys believe what Walmart says.

They just decided to close over 60 stores and fire over 10,000 employees but lets focus on the charade they are trying to put out into the public to cover for that.

Deny ignorance.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

And here I come back expecting a reply abut raises and bonuses and lazy workers, only to find...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

I am not sure what the implication here is.

If walmart doesnt keep all of their stores open, they are somehow doing something immoral?

Tehm increases wages is a good thing.

That has nothing to do with them decideing to shut down some stores that I can see.

Now if the increases wages in a store they have open, but then fire people in that store only to have the remaining higher wage employees do more work, I see that connection and how that looks bad for them.

BUt I dint see why them closing some stores while raising wages for tgheir employees makes them bad people.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Don't know what to tell you, that's Sam's Club, not Walmart.

Walmart employees are not Sam's Club employees.

My wife's discount card does not work at Sam's, because she is a Walmart employee, not a Sam's Club employee.

I'm not surprised to see Walmart, Inc, who owns Sam's Club is closing some of them. Personally the only shopping I do at Sam's is when I want certain meats. Majority of shopping at Sam's is to buy in bulk. I don't need 2 cases of tomato sauce, only 2 cans.

However, I can tell you that the Sam's Club here where I live does a MASSIVE amount of business here. There are tons of people that use Sam's to buy in bulk, especially all the different smaller businesses that use food items.

Not sure what that has to do with what I had posted about which was that many of the younger generation that gets hired at Walmart tends to be let go because they won't show up for work, or won't do the work they are suppose to do.

Sure, I imagine that if you offered these young kids a huge amount of money to work that they might want the job more......but why do that when you have people who have much better work ethics and are much more glad to have a job period willing to be employed?

Which do you think they are going to do? Offer a large amount in wages to people that act like they don't care if they have a job? Or get people that are willing to work for less and are just glad they are going to be employed?

BTW - You don't just walk off the street and start working at Walmart either. You have to go through all the process of getting hired (takes time and money) and then you have to be trained how to do your job, because no, this isn't like teenage Joey just stalking shelves at some Ma and Pa grocery store.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Breaking News!

Walmart abruptly closes at least 3 N.J. Sam's Club stores, 63 nationwide

At least three Sam's Club stores in New Jersey closed abruptly Thursday -- as part of 63 closures nationwide -- surprising customers and employees who arrived to find the doors locked.

The closures and layoffs come on the same day Walmart -- the parent company of Sam's Club -- announced that it would increase wages for its U.S. workers, including its Sam's Club, supply chain, e-commerce and Home Office hourly associates.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   

You really don't see it?

They fire 10,000 workers but use a very slimy tactic of appealing to the Trump supporters by saying they will increase the wages because of his tax plan. Overall, they shut down stores and fired people, and then used probably a fraction of those savings to increase wages, falsely stating that it is because of the tax plan.

You're eloquent and i like your writing -- it is disappointing you cannot see through this.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron

You really don't see it?

They fire 10,000 workers but use a very slimy tactic of appealing to the Trump supporters by saying they will increase the wages because of his tax plan. Overall, they shut down stores and fired people, and then used probably a fraction of those savings to increase wages, falsely stating that it is because of the tax plan.

You're eloquent and i like your writing -- it is disappointing you cannot see through this.

The two actions have not been shown to be related. Companies give raises to some employees while laying off other employees all the time. A poor performing store closing in say Texas has nothing to do with employees getting a raise at a store in California.

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join