It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Devilman Crybaby Netflix Latest Anime

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Its a ten episode series with quite a gritty end. basically the world is inhabited by demons that can only survive by merging with other life forms, mostly humans. It starts to get out of control and their are some people who can retain their human heart while also keeping the power of the demons, hence devilman. These guys try to stop the demons from spreading and feasting on the human world while it all remains a secret covered up by the world's government.

It is quite a graphic series, both in violence and nudity/sexual activity, so this is not one to watch with minors nearby. It takes place in modern day Earth, mostly Japan. But, Trump is clearly the American President when you see him

There are also cameo appearances by Satan, the wrath of God, and Armageddon. It is one helluva ride let me tell you.
Has a great retro electronic type soundtrack too as well as some clever Japanese rapping.
And no, the devil looking demon guy is not Satan, his name is Amon, his human form is Akira.

This is a remake of an original version. have not seen the original, but I will be looking for it after this amazing anime.
edit on 1-11-2018 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 01:20 AM
link   
thanks for the rec, i'm always looking for an interesting new anime

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 01:24 AM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313
oh man trust me, interesting does not even begin to come close to describe this after the first episode. I binged it all the way through when I saw the first one. Then I binged it again in Japanese.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I'll check it out..... Friday.... because Netflix gave me the ol' steel toed boot last night for not getting paid yet.

lol, at any rate, thank you for sharing this! Gotta check it out!!!

-Alee

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I was a fan of the old devilman anime, so I'm definitely going to check this one out.

Thanks for the post, probably wouldn't have come across it on my own.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Great suggestion. It seemed like Netflix had a huge selection of anime about 2-3 years ago but then their selection got really thin. Maybe this is a reversal? I got to the point of just using one of the numerous streaming services out there.

Have you watched Your Lie in April yet? If so, what did you think?

I am starting to prefer anime over anything cable related and even prefer it over the premium channel content.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   
After reading about the original manga, and some of the Original Video Animes they also did separately, it appears to me that this new series follows the original manga and adds story archs from some of the original video anime's (OVA's) they did in the 80's and 90's .
It is put together quite well. Unlike the original anime that came out in the mid 70's following the manga but did not stay true to the original manga, this is not rounded out with a happy ending. Its stays true to the manga, book version with the OVA's added.

This version takes a shotgun to the face emotionally, and spares nobody. Not for the faint of heart or those who like fairy tale endings.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ClovenSky
oh no, if your into stuff like your lie in april, devilman will probably make you cry for real.
I would recommend the Devil is a Part Timer instead if thats the type you enjoy, or maybe Squid Girl? Which I also liked, as my anime interests are quite diverse. Those are pretty old though so you may have seen them already.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Is it anything like Devilman that Manga dropped back in the day?

I came up on those 90s anime, still remember watching them on my black and white tv when i was a youngin.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 04:55 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

I've DLd first two episodes to give it a go. You've really sold it.

Can you recommend a recent anime series that doesn't have sex/nudity or graphic violence? PG or 12a type of thing.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky
Well, anime is a very diverse catalogue, so it would help if I knew others you may be interested in. If you like futury space stuff, ID-0 was a neat concept where people use a mind transferrance to be inside of machines for space mining. The plot follows a ships crew much like that of Serenity from Firefly, but some of them are permanent inside the giant machines due to loss of body, and others are regular crew. They can interact virtually during their meetings. Think of it kind of like an anime space mining version of Firefly, with big galactic federation and space pirates type stuff.

If you like mideaval type stuff Full Metal Alchemist and Seven deadly sins are great, especially the latter. Deadly sins is very funny actually, and although the lead is a bit of a grabby womanizer, there are no suggestive scenes or nudity.

Some of my personal favorites that I have actually rewatched over again with a more modern setting are Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion and Gargantia of the Virduous Planet.
Code Geass is about an empire that very closely mirrors our own in regards to global influence/hegemony but is ruled through a British style Monarchy, centered as typical on the occupation of Japan. It is a very powerful story that will stir the emotions. Very serious themes, but is sanitized as far as suggestive content goes. Relationships and the main plot are the emphasis not obscenity.
Gargantia is a fun ride on a future Earth that has been flooded over after the end of an ice age that forced our civilization to take two contrasting paths to escape Earth and colonize space. One is technology, the other was through genetic adaptation. The present inhabitants of Earth have no clue about their history other than legends and stories. A highly advanced AI mech piloted by a galactic alliance soldier eventually winds up back on Earth after a horrific defeat against space creatures messes up his escape through their wormhole. The story follows his and the Earth peoples antics as he tries to discover his location, the lost history of their people, and a way back home, which ironically since he is human is in fact Earth, but his people have been in space for generations.

High school of the dead was a cool zombie one, but they tend to umm, exaggerate the bosoms of the females, although no nudity.

All of these are absent any kind of unclothed depictions of people. Most of them involve some struggle against a giant empire, federation, or alliance of some sort. If your just looking for more innocent stuff, the Devil is a part Timer and Squid girl is the way to go.

Man that was alot. I enjoyed recapping all those actually, and started watching some as a result. Thanks for inquiring!
edit on 1-13-2018 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Oh, I forgot Durarara, that was a pretty cool one for the demographic you mentioned.

I can't not emphasize enough the beautiful complexity of this anime. For starters, its got over 70 primary characters! All with their own stories plots, while at the same time managing to stay within the primary storyline. This one stick to normal fighting, I don't even think anyone died in it. there are competing gangs fighting fighting, but they are led by high school kids who coordinate through their cell phones more for the purpose of prominence than criminal enterprises . You know what, its such a complex story it would take me a page to even scratch it, so I will just say this is a great one to start with in regards to your very first initial inquiry for the demographic stated. Lots of relatable characters and situations that a teenager would totally get.

I was paintballing again today, so this and thread is helping me relax and wind down. I sure did write alot in here.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Friend's daughter is 12 and loves anime. Something something Romantica etc. She got into trouble at school last week for watching some anime on YouTube that suddenly went to nudity. Lot of embarrassment and her account's blocked for a week. She likes the romantic ones with super powers. I was asking in case I could give them a list of 'safe' ones.

I can relate after watching a great anime a few years ago. It had samurai with magic powers hunting demons in some forest. All's cool and then suddenly (for no plot reason) there's a sexualised scene with a demon tongue and a sleeping female samurai. Absolutely no way of knowing it was coming up so friend's kid gets benefit of the doubt imo.

I used to watch ones like Vampire Hunter D and Cowboy Bebop. High School of the Damned rings a bell. I think I've read that one (CBZ reader) around the time when Death Note was going. I'll have look through your YT recs and see what's what. Thank you very much for taking the time. Appreciate it

The Devilman was DLd in haste with no subs so couldn't watch it. Will try find an .srt or go back and find a copy with subs file including.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky
Devilman Crybaby was released on Netflix on January 5, 2018. I watched it in English and Japanese. The anime you described about the Samurai, was that Ninja Scroll? The first Anime I ever saw, even before DBZ. My brother bought the VHS at a movie store in the mall when he was like thirteen or fourteen. They would not sell me Return of the Living dead, no matter how hard of a case and negotiation my ten year old self tried to build lol.

I watched pretty much all of these on Netflix except Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion. All the ones listed would be great. Seven Deadly sins, although it does not degrade to depictions of the unclothed, tends to have a few suggestive elements, but only every so often which is usually just from Meliodas giving google eyes and get handsy with the woman that he is helping.

Start with Code Geass to grab her attention, then go down the list. I bet you she will like them all.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   

You are good! Yes, Ninja Scroll was the film. Can hardly believe it's nearly as old as Akira. I caught it around 2008/09 and probably off LimeWire lol.

Code Geass looks OK and age-appropriate.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I hope they adapt some of Go Nagai's other works like Violence Jack and Devilman Lady

new topics

top topics

join