It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Baby 81 Reunited With Parents After DNA Tests

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   
You've probably heard the story of the four month old infant found after the tragic tsumani in Sri Lanka, which hospital workers called Baby 81. Baby 81 has been kept in the Sri Lankan hospital for months now, while various women and couples all laid claim him as being their child. Today DNA tests finally confirm the real parents, the only couple to file legal custody papers for the child and soon the parents and baby 81 whose name is Abilass will be reunited.

www.mercurynews.com
A Sri Lankan court, relying on DNA tests, ruled Monday that the baby recovered from tsunami debris belongs to the couple who launched an agonizing court battle to claim him.

"I am so happy, and I only have to thank God for giving my child back," the boy's joyous father, Murugupillai Jeyarajah, said after the ruling. "We've got the results for all our hardships."

"We're happy!" exclaimed the baby's mother, Jenita.

Eight other couples also tried to claim the boy in the days after the devastating Dec. 26 tsunami. Only the Jeyarajahs filed a formal claim, but they couldn't document the birth because their records and other possessions were lost when the killer waves battered Kalmunai. They said their baby boy was swept from his mother's arms.

Court-ordered DNA tests were conducted last week at a clinic in Colombo, Sri Lanka's capital, 185 miles west of this coastal town.

Kalmunai Judge M.P. Mohaideen unsealed the results Monday, read them at a closed meeting with lawyers and then ordered the Jeyarajahs, hospital officials and the baby to come to court Wednesday so the child can be returned to his parents, said S.H.M. Manarudeen, an attorney for the couple.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is such a feel good story and I shed tears thinking of what the parents of this child had to endure for the past months. Thankfully the miracles of science solved this mystery so that all can move on and those who still held hope for their infant to be alive can now find closure.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Some good news...finally. Great news worldwatcher.
Just too bad that the test couldn't have been done sooner. Better late than never though.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Awww, I too share in the joy for this reunited family,and at the same time feel deep sorrow for the less fortunate ones who lost their babies to this truly horrific catastrophe,may all their little precious souls forever rest in peaceful serenity,and to their suffering familes my deepest sympathies.

new topics

join