It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boeing's unmanned Cargo Air Vehicle

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Boeing has unveiled a prototype of an unmanned cargo air vehicle (CAV) that can payloads up to 227kg (500lb) to expand the company’s strategic new focus on autonomous transportation as a short-term commercial opportunity.

The electric-powered CAV flying testbed has completed initial flight tests at Boeing Research and Technology’s Collaborative Autonomous Systems Laboratory in Missouri, Boeing says.

www.flightglobal.com...

It's interesting, but if those are the motors I think they are, they really, really need more power. The range will be pretty bad even if the lift is great due to the power draw.

I can easily see unmanned resupply in a big way being a big thing in contested areas. Also, pop up supply for, say, a mission that ought not be present. Sub surfaces, VTOL UAV goes off and drops the cargo. UAV returns. Or not as it may be best.

Or...if that's really 500 lbs. There are a few weapons that could be mounted on it. If there was some way to off load the targeting and network to the platform securely.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 06:11 PM
link   
It can bring me a pizza. But I wont be giving it a tip. Those are only for humans.

edit on 10-1-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
It can bring me a pizza. But I wont be giving it a tip. Those are only for humans.

you'll regret that when the machines take over

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Woody510

Robopocalypse, my friend. The Robopocalypse.

And, dude, 500 lbs of pizza?! That's some party...

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Woody510

I'm already at the top of their Hit List.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   
At least a drone might he able to find my house unlike the usual delivery drivers sick of standing in the rain waving them down!!! Shame it's not the free pizza deal if not delivered within 30 mins or I'd never answer the phone till 31 minutes

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   
LMFAO.

"This team of engineers was able to do the impossible"

Are you JOKING???

It's a QUAD COPTER.

How many millions of tax payer $ went to this bunk project? Holy Jesus what fail!

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I built a better drone 15 years ago in my spare time .

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 05:01 AM
link   
... its just an huge drone with that carries stuff
really boeing?

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: 23432

Kinda surprised you haven't been selling those drones then. I mean, 500 lbs cargo is a lot and that drone would be worth a lot.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Hang a lawn chair underneath and away I go to work!!

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   
So apparently everyone totally ignored the "hybrid electric" and "autonomous" portion of the video, and went straight to the "I could do better" or "I can buy this in the store" comments.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
So apparently everyone totally ignored the "hybrid electric" and "autonomous" portion of the video, and went straight to the "I could do better" or "I can buy this in the store" comments.

Not here, but now I have to rethink my HeroX: GoFly entry.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Maybe they can do that better, too!

/s

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: anzha

Kinda surprised you haven't been selling those drones then. I mean, 500 lbs cargo is a lot and that drone would be worth a lot.

Drones weren't on the horizon ; it was all about vtol craft .

I built a drone/vtol based on Fanwing.

Fanwing wasn't and still isn't available commercially .

I wasn't the only one who was working on this tech around the World .

My prototype had almost 4 meters wing span ; it was powered by 5 HP Futuba engine and could lift over 100 kgs with extreme take off - vtol tethered .

Oh , I have used NASA grade aluminium in it's construction .

Mind you Istanbul could do with Drone business maybe i'll build another one .

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Right .

Because we did't have recharging batteries or we couldn't write a simple script for object avoidance ?

Come on now ; if I had extra funds available back in 2003 , i could have done the hybrid and autonomus bit too.

My craft had cost almost 3K .

NASA ought to come up with sound propulsion engine ; i'd be impressed .

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Competition for Amazons Drone Delivery?
Amazon
edit on 11-1-2018 by Blackfinger because: added link

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   

This is far more than just object avoidance. This is the craft doing everything after being told to go from point A to point B. Funny how it's so easy, and yet there are no actual autonomous UAVs flying anywhere other than testing purposes, and no commercially available autonomous drones. Why not run out to your garage and whip one up really quick and show them up then.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 07:20 PM
link   

This is far more than just object avoidance. This is the craft doing everything after being told to go from point A to point B. Funny how it's so easy, and yet there are no actual autonomous UAVs flying anywhere other than testing purposes, and no commercially available autonomous drones. Why not run out to your garage and whip one up really quick and show them up then.

Uhm , because my hands are busy working on biotech obviously .

Send me nice fat check to the tune of 10K ; i'll build you a nice drone and won't charge you any profit .

Better still , since you are in US , get some machineable aerogel and fishing line for artificial muscles ; built a pair of wings , powered by sun .

NASA is a hype ; shhhh, that's a conspiracy we are not suppose to talk about .

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Of course.

Too bad Boeing is the one that built this, not NASA. It was a Boeing design, Boeing engineering, and Boeing money.
edit on 1/11/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join