It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York City Sues 5 Major Oil Companies for Global Warming

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Oh, this is priceless !!!

New York City is suing five major oil companies, claiming they have contributed to global warming. Mayor Bill de Blasio says the city will be seeking billions in the lawsuit to recoup money spent by the city for resiliency efforts related to climate change. The defendants in the city's federal lawsuit are BP, Chevron, ConocoPhillips, Exxon Mobil and Royal Dutch Shell. A BP spokesman declined comment. A Shell spokesman said climate change is a complex issue that should not be addressed by the courts. The other three did not immediately comment.

www.chicagotribune.com...

Good luck with that ! LOL !

How about ban all forms of fossil fuel using transportation instead? Ban cabs and make everyone bike or walk. There is plenty of public transportation, but most of those use fossil fuels also.

I don't see this going very far. What a waste of tax dollars !

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Groot

I think we need to cut the corporate taxes for the oil companies being named in the suits to off set the cost of defending themselves.

edit on 10-1-2018 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

I think we need to cut the oil companies being named in the suits corp taxes further to off set the cost of defending themselves.

Indeed ! LOL !

How can you sue someone for your future problems because you invested and purchased they're goods.

It's like suing you heroin dealer because you OD.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   
And when this is dismissed the officials responsible for okaying the suit should foot the bill...not the people who pay taxes.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Mayor Bill de Blasio says the city will be seeking billions in the lawsuit to recoup money spent by the city for resiliency efforts related to climate change.

In other news, Jack is filing a lawsuit against Mother Goose because he traded the family cow in for a handfull of magical beans.

...and I'm considering suing the Coca Cola Corporation and Norman Rockwell over the hundreds of dollars I have to shell out each Christmas because my kids believe in Santa Claus.
edit on 10-1-2018 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I think all 5 oil companies should cut shipments of fossil fuels to New York State so that they can combat climate change.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
I think all 5 oil companies should cut shipments of fossil fuels to New York State so that they can combat climate change.

I agree !

All shipments and supplies put on hold pending investigation.

link   
Well if and it's a gigantic if they won that lawsuit which is highly unlikely. The oil companies would just pass those costs onto the rest of the world to pay new York. I don't believe he thought this one through very well and I guarantee he uses a vehicle that runs on gas. What next sue the coal companies for the same thing even though everyone but Amish types use electricity

link   
Talk about frivolous lawsuits.Waste of time and taxpayer money.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3

Ummm...damn...time for me to move out of New York then...cause I can't afford a Tesla...

YouSir

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I think NYC should voluntarily cut all power supplies coming into the city that have any fossil fuel sources.

That way they won't risk being sued for causing global warming.

That... and they won't look so much like the huge hypocrites that they are.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Does this fool think all the lights in New York City are powered by fairy dust?
His city contributes to carbon output a little bit...

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3
Well, these are private companies, and in America you technically can choose your customers. However, the cost of the legal fees is significantly lower than the money they make on a daily basis selling refined gasoline and jet fuel to the private buyers in the New York Metro area. So we won't even see that being a consideration.

originally posted by: Themaskedbeast

hey cool, those two icons look like the MasterCard symbol. Lets try it with the bomb instead and see how it looks?

edit on 1-10-2018 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Then I'm going to sue NY for having streets that enable the use of cars that use fossil fuels.

I win!

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   
As a person living ion rural farm country.

I would like to sue NYC for the following.

Over consumption of food causing third world starvation.

Too many vehicles that cause global warming.

and having a smug moron for mayor that thinks he is better than everyone.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Exxon is fighting back in California.

California was pretty dumb about it. They cite dangers of climate change when they want Exxon and other companies to pay for their infrastructure, saying that Exxon and those companies knew all along what the damage of fossil fuel would be.

But when those same cities had meetings with their municipal bond holders, they called the dangers of climate change negligible to non-existent

“Notwithstanding their claims of imminent, allegedly near-certain harm, none of the municipalities disclosed to investors such risks in their respective bond offerings, which collectively netted over $8 billion for these local governments over the last 27 years,” Exxon argued.

“To the contrary, some of the disclosures affirmatively denied any ability to measure those risks; the others virtually ignored them,” the company said.

Exxon wants the court to order a number of California local government officials to answer questions under oath that it claims will expose the basis of the argument the cities are attempting to make as erroneous and moot.

“It is reasonable to infer that the municipalities brought these lawsuits not because of a bona fide belief in any tortious conduct by the defendants or actual damage to their jurisdictions, but instead to coerce ExxonMobil and others operating in the Texas energy sector to adopt policies aligned with those favored by local politicians in California,” Exxon argued.

Basically, this represents cash-strapped cities trying to turn themselves in to the new class of tobacco settlement beneficiaries.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Basically, this represents cash-strapped cities trying to turn themselves in to the new class of tobacco settlement beneficiaries.

It's almost like it was a horrendous idea for these cities and states to lose billions in federal money over their refusal to adhere to federal laws, instead wallowing in their self imposed "sanctuary state" status... Who could have seen these financial crises coming?

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

That's only the tip of their fiscal mismanagement iceberg.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   
De Blasio is an effing moron.

Because BP. British Petroleum, and RDS. Royal Dutch Shell are not even American companies.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 12:55 AM
link   
before he should even think about being able to sue the oil companies he should first not only cut off fuel to the city. but ALL uses of the oil those companies produce. or anything else that produces pollution like greenhouse gases. fuel for vehicles is only the tip of the iceberg. he should also ban electricity from any producer that uses any petroleum products to produce power. and should also include no coal use since it is about pollution and greenhouse gasses such as CO2 as well. and should also include cutting of even hydro, since except for projects like power produced at Niagara Falls (and even them unless they cut out using things like oils and greases on the machinery unless it comes from non petroleum sources. can animal fats be used in their place?), since most hydro dams destroy land on which plants and trees that use CO2 grow, thus limiting the amount that can be taken out of the atmosphere. plus cutting off ALL plastics (guess they would need to go to metal to use in place of plastics, but wait making metals causes pollution and greenhouse gases as well, and generally uses either petroleum products or coal to process, so i guess metal should be out as well), or synthetic materials. so no nylons or fake leathers (guess they will have to start farming things like cows to produce leather to replace those materials). no electrical wiring and electronics allowed since wire coverings are generally made from petroleum products. which also means no power lines allowed due to the oil products used in covering the wire. not to mention the wire it's self causes pollution and greenhouse gasses to produce. no rubber, like tires or O-rings and seals made from petroleum products. no glass, since yet again the manufacture of it produces pollution and greenhouse gasses, especially since it's manufacturing tends to use petroleum products or coal to manufacture. in fact nothing should be allowed into New York either made with, incorporating, or manufactured with any petroleum or other air polluting or greenhouse gas polluting sources. oh and no fires allowed either since fire also produces pollution and greenhouse gases. no heavy machinery or tools that use materials that use parts made from, or produce greenhouse gases in the manufacture and running of. no lamps that use oils for light. etc. heck even burning a candle produces greenhouse gases and pollution, no matter what it is made from.

just imagine what a wonderful place New York would be to live and work in if you cut off ALL products that use, incorporate or are made using petroleum products, or anything else that produces polution like greenhouse gases. just think of all the people using hand tools made of bones. dressed in heavy furs and animal skins, huddleing in their wood or rock houses without any light or heat, even in the dead of winter. unless they outlaw all such things like that, they are at the very least equally at fault for any human caused climate change. in fact perhaps non cities should sue New York and other big cities to recoup money spent by them for resiliency efforts related to climate change. since the big cities like NEW YORK have historically and currantly been amoung the biggest contributers for polution and greenhouse gases.

seriously such a lawsuit from one of the biggest historical and currant polluters is more than a joke.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join