It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seatle sin taxes soda

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

We're just not starting ours on the cereal aisle aside from plain old oatmeal and it gets sweetened with either brown sugar or honey depending on the fruit we put in.

I decided early on that ours wasn't going to live a high fructose/sugar life if I could help it, not because I think sugar is horrible, but because I know the changes too much too often can make to your palate.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 08:35 PM
link   
In this case the human body is making the rules. Both sugar and HFCS are very dangerous, get a glucose meter and check it for yourself. And this is about profits, in fact it is profits over people. It is a common thread in the corperat world these days. And it isn't just sugars, it is all the carbs with out the fiber. Our diets are killing us and there are many corps that are making huge $$$ doing it.

or we can put up with our gov't picking and choosing this or that, declaring how those things are the cause of the rising obesity rates, rising diabetes, and taxing the heck out of them, and they will always have another item they can go after in the future because the real cause is the poison they are injecting into everything, not just the few things they are picking out, so the obesity and diabetes will not go down as long as there are so many other products containing the crap!!!
we were healthier back when the gov't and industries weren't trying to find all these healthy man made substitutions and alternatives and telling us how we needed to change our diets.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

the one that gets me is the cookie crisp cereal, who in their right mind had the idea that having a bowl of chocolate chip cookies in the morning would be a good breakfast??? and they must sell better than my shredded wheat does, since they are in every store, I very seldom can find the shredded wheat in the store... unless, of course, it's the spoon size frosted shredded wheat...

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Shredded wheat has a Glycemic load of 16.5 and frosted flakes (couldn't find cookie crisp) has a glycemic load of 20. Food can be misleading to what it does to the body.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

and, yet, we need some sugar to survive.... go figure....
too much of anything isn't good for you, but there is no harm in a slice of pie, or a slice of cake, a nibble of chocolate every now and then!!!
but now days, when you go to the store, you can find the hfcs items you wouldn't expect... by the end of the day, if you aren't sitting there paying attention to the labels on everything you eat and keeping a record, god only knows just how much you've taken in... you've lost control.... given it away, for convenience and cheaper living expenses.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 09:03 PM
link   

are you talking about the old fashion, unsweetened biscuits, or are you talking about the newer spoon sized??? I just looked at the label on my box, it has 0 sugars, something like 31 grams of carbs...
they are quite hard to find though, was surprised when they popped up on the store shelf recently, think it's the first time I've seen them in over a year...

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Correct, the corporations have worked really hard to make sure the labels are misleading and not clear to what is in the processed foods.

If it does not look like it does when it is cut off or picked, we should not be eating it on a regular basis. And of course having ice cream once a week is OK. But having 3 sodas a day may have a really bad effect on your bod.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 09:08 PM
link   

I am talking about the old big ass non sweetened biscuits. They are carbs and carbs turn to glucose when digested (short version).

A good site to get info.
nutritiondata.self.com...

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   
We, the consumers decide what is on the shelves to buy. It's always been that way.

'Caveat emptor' was a phrase we used to see often, reminding us we as consumers make the decisions.

I don't think most people are fooled by sin taxes which are put in place so they can pretend it's for our own good.

People get used to it and don't fight it, it's not going to stop. They are certainly using 'caveat emptor' in their thinking by blaming the tax on bad behavior as defined by those doing the legislating. Controlling people using taxes is the most transparently bigoted thing that governments do to their constituents. We helpless little serf's who need our nanny to slap our hands with taxes if we misbehave.

This is antithetical to freedom, no matter how you look at it. You can't be for this and for a free society at the same time.
edit on 1/10/2018 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   

lol.... I still think that when the EPA came into being and started telling the corps they couldn't dump their crap in the rivers and streams willy nilly, they corps began finding a way to use use their by products by throwing them into our products... but that's just me...

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   

You do understand that people have been drinking soda for about 4 generations now?

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

Yes and then the big gulp took the nation by storm.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Carbohydrate heavy food can spike your blood sugar. Shredded wheat would qualify.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
We, the consumers decide what is on the shelves to buy. It's always been that way.

'Caveat emptor' was a phrase we used to see often, reminding us we as consumers make the decisions.

I don't think most people are fooled by sin taxes which are put in place so they can pretend it's for our own good.

People get used to it and don't fight it, it's not going to stop. They are certainly using 'caveat emptor' in their thinking by blaming the tax on bad behavior as defined by those doing the legislating. Controlling people using taxes is the most transparently bigoted thing that governments do to their constituents. We helpless little serf's who need our nanny to slap our hands with taxes if we misbehave.

This is antithetical to freedom, no matter how you look at it. You can't be for this and for a free society at the same time.

Keep telling yourself that. Many many billions have been spent conditioning the public of what is OK to eat and waht isn't. Propaganda in your bacon? Yep.

The manipulation of the American mind: Edward Bernays and the birth of public relations
theconversation.com...

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Yes and then the big gulp took the nation by storm.

The simple answer is don't by one full of soda. I get mine full of tea, unsweetened.

QT has a really nice pineapple papaya green tea.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 09:20 PM
link   

For 40 years, we were all told by "research" that fat was toxic and the "cause" of heart attacks.

Billions of dollars were spent in changing our food supply. Fat removed from foods and replaced by sugar. animals bread to have less fat in their diet.

We were told that margarine was better than natural butter and people like you believed it.

Then after 40 years, with nary an apology, we are told that the problem is not fat but sugar.

There is conjecture that the lack of good fats is behind the epidimic of diabetes. And nobody knows yet when generations of fake food like margarine (with all of its transfat) will do.

And like a good little boy, you accept the about face and believe without a blink of an eye.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 09:24 PM
link   

and... we don't need carbs in our diet???
sugars and carbs are broken down and provide energy, the problem with hfcs is that it breaks down at a slower pace and ends up being stored as fat instead.. but, every cell in our body needs to fuel that carbs and sugars provide!!! the simple trick is to burn as much as that energy as to take in. I'm around 5'7 and probably weigh a little over 100 lbs at the moment.... I think that I'm burning them and not storing them???
which is what gets me when they pull this kind of crap, they are acting like we are all obese and need to have our diets restricted so that we will be thinner.... only, the opposite is true with me, I should be eating a tad bit more...
and burning less...

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Burning calories is a futile endevour, look at how many calories are in a big mac and how many calories are burned on a tread mill.

Now lowering blood glucose levels can be accomplished with exercise.

And there is a place in the diet for carbs. But if you have a bowl of shredded wheat a 10 OZ glass of OJ and 2 pieces of toast for breakfast, that in my opinion, is too many carbs.

edit on 10-1-2018 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 09:48 PM
link   

which is what gets me when they pull this kind of crap, they are acting like we are all obese and need to have our diets restricted so that we will be thinner.... only, the opposite is true with me, I should be eating a tad bit more... and burning less...

Good pint, look at the area:
Here’s the skinny: Tacoma-Seattle residents are thinnest in the nation

Puget Sound is home to the skinniest people in America, according to financial website Wallethub. WalletHub analyzed data from 100 metropolitan areas across the U.S. and scored them based on 17 indicators in three categories: obesity, weight-related health problems and healthy environment.
Source

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   

But if you have a bowl of shredded wheat a 10 OZ glass of OJ and 2 pieces of toast for breakfast, that in my opinion, is too many carbs.

one biscuit, one teaspoon of sugar, some milk... no toast, or orange juice, although some blueberries might taste good in with the shredded wheat....
lunch might be just a few cheese and crackers...
then supper would be the typical meat and potatoes and vegetable...
of which the amount of food on my plate might just cover half my plate....
then there might be a snack in there somewhere.

I went some time in the past not having the financial resources to eat three good meals a day ever day, there were times when I would only have a meal every other day or so... I've gotten so that I really can't sit down and eat that much at one time. if I were to eat at mcdonalds (which I haven't been at a mcdonalds in a long time) I'd be ordering just a cheeseburger and small fries... and be throwing part of the cheeseburger away. I very seldom eat the sweets yummies anymore, outside of the occasional piece of candy, I have to make sure that the food I do eat has some nutritional value to them...

so, I am sorry, while the rest of the country is trying so hard to cut their food intake, I am just trying to manage to get enough of the each food group into my system to keep going and not dwindle away into a walking skeleton.
it's like when ny wanted to tax chocolate milk, I really didn't like that one.... the calcium would be good for me, much needed, and well if I preferred it chocolate flavored, I really don't see the harm in it. and it's not my fault that some seem to find it necessary to go to mcdonalds and gobble down two big macs, a super size french fries, along with a fish sandwich which they then wash down with the largest soda they can order.
when I needed the medical attention and could afford it, it wasn't anyone's problem, just keep working and paying your taxes, so your neighbor could take her kid to the doctor and be reassured that the runny nose was just a cold...
well, fine, I put up with it, didn't run up the medical bills I could pay, although I helped pay for that neighbor's doctor bills,..... well by god, no one has the right now to sit there and start dictating what I eat or don't eat, tax the heck out of me because they don't like my choices.... and expect me to believe that it's because they care about my health!!!

they've already made it obvious they don't.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join