It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Europeans Get Immersed in Fantasy Games

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Anything attributed in the least to renaissance lore in video games seems to be further compounded with varying European accents. English, Scottish, Irish, Norwegian etc. (Please don't flame my ignorance of the specific dialects!) I can sort of understand why this is but to a greater extend, I'd like to ask the European gamers if this has any sway on them.

As an American, of course it does from my perspective, but is it universal?

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 11:09 PM
link   
What games are you talking about, for example?

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Kalixi

Currently, The Witcher 3.

However, Skyrim, Baldurs Gate, Dragon Age etc etc.

SIDE NOTE: I see you succumbed to the pressure and posted a pic of your hair,

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Why do you ask..😘😋😆

You mean like jack septiceye?
edit on 9-1-2018 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

That's why I put a ring on her finger....

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Yesssss!

(When I have time anymore)
The majority of my gaming at 3am EST, ends up in a game room with the kids in Norway or Sweden. And to be honest they speak better than most of us Americans. And they usaully kick my butt.... but they are nice about it.EDIT: they literally say to me over the headset... " sorry but you popped your head out. Had to shoot "

I have an alienware hp console that I haven't tapped into yet. Still running ps3-4. I'll have to get into a room with Europeans with it and see.

edit on 9-1-2018 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 11:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: Kalixi

Currently, The Witcher 3.

However, Skyrim, Baldurs Gate, Dragon Age etc etc.

SIDE NOTE: I see you succumbed to the pressure and posted a pic of your hair,

Baldur's Gate. I still have the original vanilla versions for BG 1 and 2 with expansions. I will never do EE or later versions.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Let me rephrase.

When I play a single player RPG, such as the above mentioned, the accents add to the atmosphere, the immersion.

I'm curious if you already happen to be from the places from where the accents are, does it add or detract from the atmosphere...or is it even noticed.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Ohhhh..

That makes perfect sense.
Now that i understand, yes come to think of it I do get carried away when the environment of the game coincides with other AI or even other players

GTA V covers a lot of dialects. Right now it's cod ww2..
I don't have to many rpg's.
Hope no ones picked up South Park's games.

edit on 10-1-2018 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Let me rephrase.

When I play a single player RPG, such as the above mentioned, the accents add to the atmosphere, the immersion.

I'm curious if you already happen to be from the places from where the accents are, does it add or detract from the atmosphere...or is it even noticed.

Well, I would say the accents and voice acting used in BG really helped with the immersion. It was appropriate for the game. Now that I think of all the horrible voice acting in video games, wow they did a really great job!

What annoys me is when actors in Hollywood use clumsy English accents as a placeholder for 'foreign accent.'

I'm not European so I guess I'm off-topic!

edit on 9-1-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Naa, you're still on topic.

For instance, everyone but Geralt and Triss have Eurpean/English accents so far. Kind of comical.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Why don't more Italians get outaged by Mario's voice?

edit on 9-1-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Yeah I did haha

Maybe it's just the whole medieval thing, the US and Australia kinds skipped that stage

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Speaking of clumsy ENglish accents - I was pissed that Zeldas voice is so ott!

It's like just tone it down

(I guess it's better than Links "HEEEEEHH! GUUUUUGGHHH HEEEEEEHHH")

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 03:43 AM
link   

The dialects in the German localisation of Baldur's Gate were partly grating and distracting. They overdid it to a level were it bordered on parody and you half expected a badum tshh after every comment of certain characters. It certainly took away from the immersion. Some liked it but overall there was a lot of criticism. I did enjoy BG but should I ever decide to play it again I will make sure to grab an English language version.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Anything attributed in the least to renaissance lore in video games seems to be further compounded with varying European accents. English, Scottish, Irish, Norwegian etc. (Please don't flame my ignorance of the specific dialects!) I can sort of understand why this is but to a greater extend, I'd like to ask the European gamers if this has any sway on them.

As an American, of course it does from my perspective, but is it universal?

i wouldnt like a game, set in the mediavel age, if it got american accent! It just wouldnt fit the game, USA is to young a country and to modern to fit in a renaissance game. That is why old european languages are used, and i think it is best to keep it that way, to maintain the feeling of walking around in a very old world.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 06:26 AM
link   

I don't know about Euro, but I get into a good fantasy game. Currently playing on Xbox 1 X, Final Fantasy 15, Assassins Creed Origins, Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Gears Of War 4, Resident Evil 7, Mass Effect Andromida.

Just to name some of what I play. Mostly Assassins Creed Origins, though. Resident Evil 7 is surprisingly good, and scary too.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 06:57 AM
link   

I only play 3 games, COD AW, Fifa and Witcher 3. In the Witcher 3 it definitely does make the game more entertaining and enjoyable listening to the different dialects and most are spot on, from the barons northern English (where I live)accent and phrases to the guy who always say "White wolf, wise wolf, what is it that the wolf needs" in a proper Midlands accent. The latter one is hilariously spot on and sometimes if if I am asking my brother in law for something he always responds with that saying. Childish but funny.

I`ve been playing the game on and off for over a year now and can`t wait to play the Skellige part of the map as it is meant to be very authentic in representing the Scots/Irish (my native land). So yes, when i get time and am not shooting everybody and everything up and get in the mood for the Witcher, the characters and game with all their accents and the fabulous authentic like scenery definitely make the game a lot more enjoyable to get lost in.

Especially if you partake in some of that Fools Parsley before you play

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Yes I get immersed in RPG's never more so than with The Witcher 3 which is the best RPG ever created , it has a truer more believable world than any I have visited before.
Accents don't sway me but European accents fit better within a fantasy RPG than American due to age of existence IMO.

edit on 10-1-2018 by gortex because: believable

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   

I do find New World accents jarring in fantasy games, and movies too.

Seems silly to bring a rationale to it as, well, fantasy, but the root inspiration of the genre in the west is from European myth and history so thats good enough for me.

Old Hollywood movies with terrible murican accents may be to blame for making us feel this way. Tony Curtis in Vikings or Taras Bulbar for example..

Good cliched european accents help immersion in Skyrim imo though ..eta- and Witcher 3 too, great call

edit on 10-1-2018 by skalla because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join