It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the hell happened to ATS?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

I give you much credit for this thread and your offer... and I really really hope I'm wrong about this, and that you can prove me wrong, but in my brutally honest opinion, those people complaining loudest about the quality of content on ATS wouldn't know real quality if it hit them upside the head, and your efforts -- no matter how well intentioned -- will fall on deaf ears. For the shills -- paid or otherwise -- they don't want quality content and will do their level best to derail the thread... and for the others, they just want an echo chamber to entertain them. And/or to pad their egos because they're so awesome possum clever and have the whole universe all figured out -- they must be 'cause just look at all those stars and flags they got in the echo chamber!!!

And, to be fair, it isn't just ATS. ATS is basically a reflection of our society -- the good, the bad, and the ugly.

In my opinion, what's now missing from ATS is the discussion -- which is pretty darn bad since this is a DISCUSSION forum. Too many talk at each other and have absolutely no idea how to talk to or with others... in other words, how to discuss an issue. Much less how to find middle ground and an agreeable and acceptable course of action for all. Back in the "good old days" of ATS, you'd find a gazillion links in the comments to an OP, all offering a different perspective, or expanding on the OP's perspective, or casting doubt on the OP. You'd find a real DISCUSSION. Not just personal attacks on the OP or demands for "links! links!" Back in the day, ATSers provided their own links to refute or substantiate the OP and their comment.

And if anyone dared begin their comment with "I'm not really familiar with this issue, but I think..." or "I don't know all the details, but in my opinion..." or any other such comment basically declaring their ignorance -- as opposed to DENYING ignorance -- they would have been ridiculed and laughed off the boards. And rightfully so!

And, maybe most important, the OP genuinely wanted to discuss the issue or topic presented, so if you commented, the OP had enough respect and intellectual honesty to respond to you. Not simply ignore any comment (or commenter) that doesn't fit into their echo chamber. AKA "tending your thread," it was expected that you would respond to those who responded to you...

So I wish you much luck, Haz, in your efforts. I really really hope you're on to something and can help ATS turn a corner here. But you can only do so much. Discussion forums are a team effort.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 08:12 AM
link   

I agree. I do see a lot of the same people responding and posting on threads.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Thanks for the offer and I'll take you up on it

Any Crypto critters excluding the common ones Bigfoot, Jersey Devil types. I am always looking for info on new low profile stuff, like dinosaurs in the jungles, or Megalodon, weird new/old stuff ala Coelacanth, Tazzy Tiger, Thunderbird etc doesn't matter if it's in the ocean or not. Or even man-made cryptos are awesome too.

Thanks for this offer, it's pretty awesome for us lurkers

Now for why I don't post more:

I know the main reason I don't make threads or post much is trolls. Not because I'm thin skinned, just I got enough of "you're wrong/stupid/ugly/a nerd/blah blah in freakin high school lol. I don't mean folks who come in with a good debate about a topic. I mean folks who come in and state -Your're stupid, Hoax, Take your meds, this is a nothing burger, blah blah- without posting a cogent reason why it's any of the above.

I love a great debate, I loathe insults just for insults sake from people who can't/won't explain why they feel a topic is not worthwhile. Why bother to post if you feel that way, more than once especially? To me that just shows you want to argue for the sake of it and can't/won't hold an actual conversation about a topic, with your own research or even valid points against the topic. Just saying this is stupid doesn't help anyone.

I usually only post if it's something I just really feel I need to comment on or ask a question for clarity now and rarely more than a comment or 3 here or there. The only reason I have most of the posts I do is when the point system went away I still wanted RATS access so needed the minimum lol.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I have re evaluated my position and would like an investigation into dark shamanism, voodoo and Ritual exploration of the psychic realms focusing on communication with "entities" not of this Earth.

And, how to start a cult...

edit on 10-1-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   

It took a while to read through this thread (great thread btw) and I would be more than happy to contribute research into the AI/Singularity/cryptocurrency/mark of the beast topic mentioned on the first page!

I must avoid most of the divisive stuff on here because I truly don't often see members in bad form. This is a great site with quality, thoughtful members (but I certainly don't get my politics here...)

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Hazardous, I would love to join your effort here but I am probably one of the biggest offenders of them all when it comes to petty politicking.

I think I need a political-anonymous meeting here

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Lilroanie

I know the main reason I don't make threads or post much is trolls. Not because I'm thin skinned, just I got enough of "you're wrong/stupid/ugly/a nerd/blah blah in freakin high school lol. I don't mean folks who come in with a good debate about a topic. I mean folks who come in and state -Your're stupid, Hoax, Take your meds, this is a nothing burger, blah blah- without posting a cogent reason why it's any of the above.

Lilroanie, did you copy that directly out of my last post? (i am only joking)

I am sure it has nothing to do with being thin skinned and everything to do with avoiding the same opinion-as-fact argument that we have all heard 1,000,000 times. And of course all ends of the political spectrum are guilty of this. I myself am a prolific poster of political pontifications

And yes that string of "P" words sounded kind of cool together

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   

What kind of threads do I want to see?

I'm partial to history (historical conspiracy even,) current events with a slant towards scientific discovery, cosmology, even aviation, cryptozoology, even UFO related threads (other than the "I saw this light last night" threads) and I'm willing to participate in almost every type of thread.

Overall ATS is still a great site with a ton of amazing researchers posting some really cool threads. It's why I've been a lurker/ light poster for the last 10 years.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
In my opinion, what's now missing from ATS is the discussion -- which is pretty darn bad since this is a DISCUSSION forum. Too many talk at each other and have absolutely no idea how to talk to or with others... in other words, how to discuss an issue.

I see it as a sign of extreme desperation...

"The louder the opposition protests, the more I know I am on the right track." ~ Zorgon

Too many are trying to defend arguments with no evidence and all that leaves them with are insults & ridicule.

This indicates that they are coming from a very weak position which only frustrates them even more since they have nothing intelligent to say.

In a way its pretty sad because it reminds me of brainwashed cult members who have no idea why they believe what they believe.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

I see it as a sign of extreme desperation...

Good eye! I did not think of that...

Too many are trying to defend arguments with no evidence and all that leaves them with are insults & ridicule.

This indicates that they are coming from a very weak position which only frustrates them even more since they have nothing intelligent to say.

I can see that... but then that begs the question "why?" If they cannot provide either objective evidence or subjective reasons, then why that position and not another position? (I don't expect you or anyone to answer... just thinking out loud here...)

Ego? "I think it therefore it must be so." Or just ignorance? Laziness? Habit?

Probably all of the above and lots more reasons I'm not thinking of!

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Personally would prefer the return of Political Top Secret, when the site was separate, but so far seems like political topics is what's saving the site due to the donation bar being removed. That would still contribute to the site if it was separate but might marginalize the audience who seemingly wants to keep up with the topics-having to look at two different site sections,etc.

I'd like to see more of the old school conspiracies, aliens cryptids, the paranormal, etc. Though, with that there has to be less people coming to those areas to troll and ridicule or outright hoax such as(Bigfoot troll "woman" who was banned). There's many members who quit that were tired of that. That is really doing a disservice to members who want to contribute to those forums. Some don't come back especially when called names for it.

I know there's speculation that may not be far off of political shills(apparently some, political or not, were caught before) propping up the political topics with s&f's. There's also returning trolls, I dunno must be nice to have so much time and someone paying their bills to be returning over and over again to cause upset.

Though, surely a lot of members contribute to these political threads as well, may not even need help if there's an agenda at hand. It's really not a new thing either. Anyone else recall early 00s political forums and chats that were all overrun with opposition trolling(ie pro gun threads and chats had the anti crowd trolling them,etc). How about Obama's last election? Mainstream sites were controlled against any candidate that wasn't Obama or sometimes favored even Romney.

The demographics have changed here since the site became more of a presence on social media, along with that came people that are more mainstream inclined in thinking, such as polarized with political leanings. In effect the way to change these political threads form being at the top is to stop participating, stop flagging, stop commenting.

It's not going to happen anytime soon, if the demographic majority doesn't want it to whether there's outside influence or not. If someone creates a troll topic about the POTUS for or against, should just ignore it. What ever they want out of the site audience, they won't stick around if they aren't given attention.
edit on 10-1-2018 by dreamingawake because: sp

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
I have re evaluated my position and would like an investigation into dark shamanism, voodoo and Ritual exploration of the psychic realms focusing on communication with "entities" not of this Earth.

And, how to start a cult...

That would be worth a read.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Hey, it’s fun to just write and sharpen the thoughts, to learn arguments and disputation, to be able to stand by your words while passing a boring day at work. Don’t do it for anyone else.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

An excellent point, Les.
Certainly valid, and very poignant...

But what kind of person would I be if I withdrew the offer now?

I’ll stick to my word.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 11:23 PM
link   

There, you got me to make one. Yes, a small one, but it is a start. (RATS if you want to find it.)

P

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 07:47 PM
link   
PSA;

I have not forgotten nor reneged on this proposal ATSers.

Thanks for the patience, and the great ideas.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Even worse is how few people author new threads

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join