It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some of Trump's biggest supporters are furious about his 'lovefest' meeting on immigration

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Immigration critics such as Coulter have often argued in the past that any deal that offers a pathway to citizenship for Dreamers would essentially give them "amnesty" and allow them to sponsor other family members to immigrate to the US.

Mark Krikorian, the executive director of the hardliner Center for Immigration Studies, speculated on Twitter that should Trump cave to Democrats' demands, he likely won't last as president beyond the 2020 election cycle.
www.businessinsider.com...

It's nice to see Trump supporters pushing back. You have to stand for something in this world. In other words, you can't always be like Trump.

It's not that this matters in the long run. If Trump is the GOP's nominee in 2020, those criticizing him today over this will support him then.

I am very torn on DACA. On one hand, I believe it's unconstitutional. On the other hand, I feel like deporting those depending on it is a complete betrayal.

I would rather not have betrayal on my conscience.
edit on 9-1-2018 by antiantonym because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: antiantonym

You should probably just go open a blog.

Where is the discussion aspect?

Again, quality, not quantity.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   
DACA is going to happen.

But, it's going to cost the Dems chain migration.

It's a loophole anyways.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

You're implying that there's not enough "discussion" from me, but I mentioned seven distinct issues in the original post. How many do you want?

You're also implying that the issue raised here isn't substantial enough. I couldn't disagree more. This is exactly the kind of criticism that we should be seeing from Trump supporters. It's significant because it's so rare.

The time has hopefully come for Trumpers to become actual supporters like Ann Coulter rather than Kool-Aid-drinking cult members.
edit on 9-1-2018 by antiantonym because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 06:33 PM
link   

As long as we allow ANY kind of legalization or pathway to citizenship for illegals, we will always have an illegal problem and parents will continue to risk bringing their "innocent" children here. No legalization, no anchor babies, and no more chain migration. This is the only way to stop the flooding.

True immigration reform and Obamacare repeal were the two largest issues that got Trump elected.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Deetermined

Strict border enforcement and immigration controls along with an end to chain migration and possibly birthright citizenship in return for the DACA dreamers would be an acceptable horsetrade IMO.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The ONLY way I would accept legalization of DACA Dreamers is if their parents were forced to pay twice the amount legal immigrants do to become citizens and have to wait twice as long.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: antiantonym

originally posted by: JinMI

The time has hopefully come for Trumpers to become actual supporters like Ann Coulter rather than Kool-Aid-drinking cult members.

If you did less name calling you would be taken more seriously.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Their parents should still be deported as illegals. If chain migration is stripped, their status will not change just because the child's changes. So whatever the law says for them remains the same as it would for any other illegal. There will be no preferential treatment as there would be with chain migration.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Good, hopefully they'll work themselves into such a frenzied santorum they end up stroking out.

K~

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 06:46 PM
link   

I am very torn on DACA. On one hand, I believe it's unconstitutional.
Why? Please don't just abandon this thread and move onto another, please explain why YOU think it's unconstitutional.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: EvidenceNibbler

Why? Please don't just abandon this thread and move onto another, please explain why YOU think it's unconstitutional.

It was unconstitutional for Obama to create DACA without Congress in the first place. It is not legal to hand out work permits to undocumented workers.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Strict border enforcement and immigration controls along with an end to chain migration and possibly birthright citizenship in return for the DACA dreamers would be an acceptable horsetrade IMO.

Everyone sticking to their special little position will continue the impass. Nobody is going to get everything their way. This is evidenced by how long we have had these issues.

What you propose is a very good compromise.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deetermined

It was unconstitutional for Obama to create DACA without Congress in the first place. It is not legal to hand out work permits to undocumented workers.
Exactly.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I thought trump looked great on daca today.

He wants to undo Obama's unconstitutional unilateral declaration by having Congress pass a law.

He had a meeting that he opened to the public so that everyone could see the process.

He made great points in that meeting and attempted to facilitate a compromise that keeps the dreamers here but deals with border security and chain migration.

Yet still the anti trumpets find reason to complain.

As far as people like coulter, I think trump made it clear before he was elected that kicking out criminals was the first priority, and then we would see what to do with good illegals.

This seems to be an extension of that promise.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   

There's no reason to have a special thread over such a basic and settled issue.

www.heritage.org...

Incidentally, I deleted your private message without reading it. I see no point to that.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
As far as people like coulter, I think trump made it clear before he was elected that kicking out criminals was the first priority, and then we would see what to do with good illegals.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. You may not know about Trump's previous promises on DACA.

“We will immediately terminate President Obama’s two illegal executive amnesties, in which he defied federal law and the constitution to give amnesty to approximately 5 million illegal immigrants,” Trump said at a campaign event in August 2016, promising to end DACA as well as Deferred Action for Parents of Americans and Lawful Permanent Residents.

That speech echoed the promise Trump made when he launched his presidential campaign on June 16, 2015. “I will immediately terminate President Obama’s illegal executive order on immigration, immediately,” he said at that time.
time.com...

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 07:05 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Trump must have listened to me.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
I thought trump looked great on daca today.

He wants to undo Obama's unconstitutional unilateral declaration by having Congress pass a law.

He had a meeting that he opened to the public so that everyone could see the process.

He made great points in that meeting and attempted to facilitate a compromise that keeps the dreamers here but deals with border security and chain migration.

Yet still the anti trumpets find reason to complain.

I agree, well said as always.

One thing I will add. I think the last couple of elections have purposefully been pushing the parties WAY left and WAY right. Trump is giving the GOP a chance to come back to "moderate conservatives" or whatever we are and find the "middle" of America. There is someplace we can all stand, we just have to give a little on each side.
edit on 1/9/2018 by Martin75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Sounds like everything is going to plan.

DACA/Amnesty is a no go.

I understand that he may have to conceded on some points to achieve an end to chain migration and the wall, but I'll be happy to stem the flow.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join