It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Perfect Brisket

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Hi ATSers

Southern American food is having a real moment in Australia right now. I have recently discovered BBQ Beef Brisket.

Oh MY! It's so damn good.

It's been hard to track down beef brisket - I have to order it from my local butcher or else they just grind it up and make it into sausages (a culinary crime against humanity) I've cooked it a few times but I'm still searching to improve my recipe and technique;

So I make a rub out of paprika, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder and brown sugar (I don't measure just wing it). Leave it on for the night before cooking. I set up the barbie at 6am (it's worth the early wake) I cook it over the coals with either maple, apple or cherry wood for roughly 8 hours with the last three hours covered in tin foil. I also sit a container of water in the bottom of the webber to stop it drying out too much. It tastes amazing but I haven't been able to get the real bark happening, it's not that chewy caramelized bark just a little softer.

C'mon give me your dead grandpas secret recipe

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   
The best beef brisket is.....your face!

jk.

Here try this, some home made beef brisket brought to you by the soothing tone of a true american southern man.

Your mistake is raping it in tinfoil.
edit on 9-1-2018 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Kalixi

Brisket is amazing.

Last time I did mine I seasoned it and slathered it in bbq sauce, wrapped it in foil and put it on the grill for 9-10 hours.

OMG was it good.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I just ordered a PitBarrel Cooker junior an hour ago, your post read my mind.

You need more smoke for the bark, but don't OD it. I was watching a bbq competion once, the guy said you should only have enough smoke coming out to be slightly visible, above that, it will get sooted and sour.

Brisket is insane. Proper trimming is key imo. There are some good youtubes about this, especially important is the thickness of fat left on with the cap. I like a 1/4" layer.

After pulling the wrapped brisket, I always wrap in towels, then throw in room temp cooler for an hour to rest, this is required imo.

Your rub looks pretty tasty.

I do heavy brown sugar, then add sea salt until it makes the brown sugar "neutral" in sweetness, then add cheap coffee grinds until it has a slight coffee flavor.
It's good on ribs too.
It's the best rub I have had.

On ribs it goes good with a honey roasted garlic bbq sauce crossed with Dewars wiskey and brown sugar.

I am going to try a new brisket when my new smoker arrives.
It is going to be some variation of this carribean style I found with mango habanero salsa with brown sugar rub and injection.

I will try and report back the findings.

JFC I am hungry now, great

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 05:59 PM
link   

You should check this out. This has some amazing info.

Brisket!

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I love me a good brisket!!!
And since we don't have a grill or a smoker....we use a variant of this recipe in the oven
www.foodnetwork.com...

BTW...our butcher takes the briskets he doesn't sell, grinds them to make brisket burgers....THE best burger you've evah eaten.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

I never thought of putting the BBQ sauce on while cooking...will have to try it

---

thanks for the ideas! So hungry right now, I can't wait 'til Sunday

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Low and slow.
Throw it in the smoker at about 300.
Throttle the temperature down to about 180 and let it smoke on oak coals for about 10 hours.
Give it a mopping of sauce and drippings every few hours.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I forgot to specify brisket when I had my half a head of beef processed this last fall. Bummer, it got ground into hamburger. Oh well, still got half a freezer full of beef after giving out beef Christmas presents this year. I actually like to buy a corned beef brisket from the store once a year and boil it with it's spices and a little extra garlic and onions in the water.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Eastern NC style BBQ might make you give up all foods forever. Coupled with eastern NC style cole slaw and baked beans. Yes, a very simple meal but very satisfying. Can't forget the ice cold sweet tea in an aluminum cup.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 01:54 AM
link   
that's the great thing about bbq. you start at 10am drink a few beers relaxing by the grill checking on your meat occasionally around 7pm it's ready.

wait until you have slow cooked smoked baby back ribs that fall off the bone.

I'm up in Queensland at the moment. but if you were local and buying the ribs and beer I'd show you how it's done. teach you about smoking the meat, indirect heat, steam, and what various woods are best for your charcoal. teach you how to make homemade bbq sauce. how to cook authentic baby back ribs without cutting corners.

also there are several regional versions of bbq from not sauce and a rub only to a great range of bbq sauce styles. Carolina style is nice n vingerary others heavier on the Smokey side some sweeter others with a serious kick of heat
edit on 10-1-2018 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-1-2018 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   

A good recipe but unfortunately I don't eat meat

top topics

join