It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Chaco Canyon, New Mexico / My visit

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Over the New Years weekend, I took a road trip instead of celebrating.

I live in the Phoenix area (Arizona) and have been itching for a chance to visit the ruins of Chaco Canyon for years. I've heard it receive an occasional mention on the various alternative history shows. Some making claims about it's actual age, others taking it at face value.

Estimates are thousands of dwellers used this enormous place over 1500 - 900 years years ago.

I won't offer too much writing here, as the videos and photos I'm providing will hopefully tell a better story.

Chaco Culture National Site

The journey into the site was definitely interesting. There are a number of ways to access the parks but most are paved. For me, I was heading east from an overnight stay in Gallup, NM. about 80 miles along 40, I arrive at a very poor Navajo town called Thoreau. I head north through the town on a 60 mile two lane road. The scenery is breathtaking. It's large buttes and mesas along a mix of desert and forest. Eventually I take a right and drive a short bit to a sign. It points at the dirt road to my left, and I take the 20 mile dirt road. I don't recommend the average family car or minivan.

Once I am within line of sight of the park visitor center, I'm back on pavement.

They have done an incredible job of making the entire place accessible. The entire park consists of a roughly 8 mile oval road that tours around the various ruins. In addition, there are miles of hiking trails that ascend up the mesas to higher locations, as well as a 4 mile trail into the desert to find Petroglyphs and Pictograms. The park is open from 7 am to sunset.

Its a magical place.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ExVoto

Looks like an incredible site - how fortunate that you live close (enough) to go there in person. You captured some great photos as well.

Interesting that some of those entranceways (or what appear to be entrances/tunnels) seem to be too short to walk through. Perhaps sand/dirt built up and the openings were actually taller before sand filled it in?

Thank you for sharing with us!

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Wow!!!

The detail on the chip stones between the larger ones... incredible!

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore
Interesting that some of those entranceways (or what appear to be entrances/tunnels) seem to be too short to walk through.

Or maybe I'm just enormous

I wondered that myself. It could have been an area just for kids?

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Love it. My ol lady grew up in ABQ, so we drive back to New Mexico every other summer. She never went to four corners, which is not too far from this Chaco canyon. We have explored several nice historical sites as well as the Soda Dam of Jamez, the Ice Cave in Grants (nearly gone now), and some other ruins.

This is a really nice place, so if we go this summer, we are going to want to check this out as well. Farthest north I ever go is Santa Fe. Was there any overnight lodging in the area of these ruins? It looks to be about a four hour trip from ABQ at least, so we would likely stay in the area for a couple days to get the best out of it.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Yep. They have a campground site and rentable cabins near the visitor center. I think you have to book way in advance.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Whatever you do. Do not stay overnight in Albuquerque. You will regret it.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: galaga
Whatever you do. Do not stay overnight in Albuquerque. You will regret it.

As a former Albuquerque/Rio Rancho resident, I can attest to this. Albuquerque: Come on vacation, leave on probation.

On topic... Chaco Canyon is incredible. I went there several times, and every time was magical.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: galaga
What, what are yall talking about? I enjoy ABQ every time I visit. Have not had any problems with random riff raff or anything. If you ask me, being from Florida, New Mexico in general is very chill.

West of the river near Sage and Coors right off the San Jose de Armijo cemetery is our typical stay area. But we go out and see the town and visit relatives all over. I really enjoy the hospitality of the citizens of the community.

Am I, just getting lucky?

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 11:39 PM
link   

That area's not so bad. Parts are though. Damn tweekers and heroin addicts stealing cars and breaking into houses constantly. I left NM to go to Florida. Out in Cali now.

If the junkies don't get you, Rio Rancho PD will....
edit on 1/9/2018 by AdmireTheDistance because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance
Rio Rancho is the part of Albuquerque that looks like normal America to me. Makes me feel like I am back in Florida. Gridded streets and corporate brands and properly graded elevations.

Rest of the city looks like peoples just winged it as they grew and expanded, winding roads etc...

Thats the part of town I see going when traveling North on 25 on the way to Santa Fe, right? Looks well groomed to me.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Remember going there since the 50's my mom is from Colorado and is part Pueblo ,she was very much into the history,the true history of the US will never be known,everything has been scripted

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Your videos are incredible! Well done!
If I am not mistaken the "pits" are actually the foundations of housing! The stonework is masterful, so unprecariously set. I consider this stone fitting no less brilliant than that of Machu Picchu, simply less finished. And yet we do not attribute this to aliens.

What I would not give to view life as it were back then...

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: ExVoto

Yep. They have a campground site and rentable cabins near the visitor center. I think you have to book way in advance.

Not if you have your own tent. My wife and I camped there.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: SargonThrall
Your videos are incredible! Well done!
If I am not mistaken the "pits" are actually the foundations of housing! The stonework is masterful, so unprecariously set. I consider this stone fitting no less brilliant than that of Machu Picchu, simply less finished. And yet we do not attribute this to aliens.

What I would not give to view life as it were back then...

Most of the circular pits are kiva's.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   
The circular kivas are often considered ceremonial centers but who would need so many? I think they were far more practical and probably used them as places to escape from the extreme heat. Covered over with boughs the coldest air would settle inside and keep the temperatures at a reasonable level.

Nice job documenting your visit and thanks for sharing it with us!

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
Nice job documenting your visit and thanks for sharing it with us!

Thank you. I was trying to do a fair job at recording my time without ruining the experience by being over focused on it.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Gotta be honest, I have thought this thread would do better.

I guess politics is too important to get distracted by real life...

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Well you did get more attention than the space launches based on flags. So there is always that

It is hard for people to resist being part of a scripted soap opera.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 11:12 PM
link   

you know, that's a good point. Flags are good, too.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join