It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher arrested at board meeting for criticizing superintendent's raise

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

Thanks for the new info and source! I just posted a run down on the school board president who was speaking during the meeting and encouraged the removal. I should have replied to this post with my last but I missed it between life and attempting to reply as best I can.

The whole situation seems like a boil over on both sides. But, when someone has their rights violated so blatantly as a result, there is no excuse.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I hope that the teachers turn out in force for the next board meeting and demand an answer to the question.

Why should he get a raise ?

Why was the teacher arrested? (the DA did not press charges)

Why was the teacher manhandled? She offered no resistance.

I think this will come back to haunt the board. I also think the teacher should sue the school board

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Seems to me that the president of the board is an extreme narcissist who bullies people into submission to get his own way. The fact that he hasn't backed down tells me that his ego is way out of control.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: TwiztidRoman

The whole situation is revolving around this guy. He is truly at fault. He encouraged both her removal and arrest with his behavior. Of course the marshal could have done the right thing and, well, done nothing past asking her to leave, which she did. The "stop resisting" on his part was priceless, and the immediate distancing by the local PD is hilarious. At least it would be if the teacher wasn't treated like a criminal for making a comment.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wildbob77
I hope that the teachers turn out in force for the next board meeting and demand an answer to the question.

Why should he get a raise ?

Why was the teacher arrested? (the DA did not press charges)

Why was the teacher manhandled? She offered no resistance.

I think this will come back to haunt the board. I also think the teacher should sue the school board

As a matter of fact teachers from around the parish (county) as well as parents, students and supporters turned out this afternoon at Magdalene Square to rally in support for Deyshia Hargrave.

To sue the school board they would pretty mush have to go through the school board president. That could be a rchallenge in itself.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: TwiztidRoman
Seems to me that the president of the board is an extreme narcissist who bullies people into submission to get his own way. The fact that he hasn't backed down tells me that his ego is way out of control.

The Vermilion parish school board president is Anthony Fontana.

heavy.com...

"Anthony Fontana: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

1. Fontana Told Hargrave She Was Out of Order for Asking Questions About the Superintendent’s Raise, Before Having Her Thrown Out

2. He Told Reporters That He Thinks the Incident Was Handled Correctly & Said Hargrave’s Behavior Led to Her Arrest

3. Fontana Was Elected to the School Board in 2006 & Has Said He Will Not Be Seeking Re-Election This March

4. He Filed a Lawsuit Against Another Board Member During an Ongoing Dispute That Centers Around the Budget & Superintendent

5. Fontana Runs a Law Firm & Led a ‘Historic’ Whistleblower Case Against the Catholic Church for Its Coverup of Sexual Abuse"

Because of #5 and various other career moves he is considered somewhat of a local hero. It doesn't make any of this right by any means, but as I've been saying, it will make matters difficult.
edit on 11-1-2018 by csimon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: csimon

This is going to be a hard suit from beginning to end. There is no way anyone is going to lose their jobs immediately - including the marshal. That said, the marshal will more than likely find lack of employment, the teacher will remain a teacher, the superintendent (sans him pledging his raise to the school budget) will lose a lot of face despite apologies, and the board president will fade off into the sunset.

That's my prediction. It's a very muddy legal case - with too many to point fingers at for a clear injustice. The teacher being arrested at a board meeting is crazy wrong, but in terms of our legal system, it's a quagmire with the current variables.
edit on 11-1-2018 by OrdoAdChao because: clarity and anti-absolutism

edit on 11-1-2018 by OrdoAdChao because: I am redundant

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: OrdoAdChao

Yeah that was bs the way the police officer treated that woman. Not all police officers are like that thou. It was also bs that she was booted simply for criticizing the superintendent raise.

But on another note, we have also seen plenty of other teachers, and parents being booted from such meetings for criticizing things like "common core".
edit on 11-1-2018 by ElectricUniverse because: add comment.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 09:28 AM
link   

There is one thing that stands out to me on the union topic in particular, and it relates to this case of injustice: We have devalued the very basis of our modern society that has brought so may people "up" in terms of economics. Our society at large does not respect educators or skilled workers, who hold a tradition of passing values of hard work, discipline and unity. It seems like so many have forsaken teachers for being "evil union members" and skilled construction workers as dumb peons. All because of the problems that will plague any group of people.

Nicely said! People today just don't realize how unions have protected working conditions and have forced corporations and businesses to provide people a livable wage. It's not the CEO's that make these companies successful, but the hard working, educated and skilled Americans producing and engineering their products. Without their skilled workers, these businesses wouldn't be successful. It's why made in the U.S. represented quality products as compared to buying overseas products. The U.S. wouldn't be as economically strong today without its skilled workers, and education system.

What's alarming is the priority on education has dwindled to such a point the U.S. is now ranked 17th in education in the world! We rank 24th in Science, 39th in Mathematics and 24th in Reading. Skilled workers, innovation and education go hand in hand. Without a strong education system, a strong work ethic and a skilled work force, the U.S. will lose it's economic strength and standing in the world. It's alarming teachers are not held in importance as many other professional careers when you consider every profession and skilled career people have, was taught, trained and learned from a teacher. They're invaluable to a work force and everyday life. We couldn't even read these threads and posts and write a reply if it wasn't for teachers.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: OrdoAdChao I got the facts and the supervisor did have a pretty compelling case to be deserving of a raise. But the teachers did as well, more so, given they do the actual work of improving student performance and test scores. And I laughed when the "officer" who removed her and basically assaulted her threatened onlookers with arrest on the grounds of public intimidation. LOL, he alone was actually guilty of that and no one else. If this teacher sues the school district, and I hope she does, her settlement should be awarded by taking it from the school administrators and school board salaries. When they see their pay reduced they'll think twice about letting shenanigans get out of hand. And here's a personal experience. Our township voted the school board President out of office basically due to the school boards high spending and arrogance towards the tax payers. What they wanted to do was pay an exorbitant amount for an office building to use as a new administration building. So shortly thereafter another school board member resigned and they appointed his replacement... the school board President we just voted out. Grrrrrr...

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to: OrdoAdChao I see this kind of situation every year . I am employed in the health service in the UK and have not received higher than a 1% pay rise in the last five years due to our 'wonderful' government freezing our wage increases. The so called management are not hindered by this financial handcuff and boost there pay rises as they see fit (the last one was 15% in the trust I work for). The manager for my department is on a higher wage than most of the doctors and most of the staff have never met him, and when we question what he does the answer is always ' were not actually sure ?'. But his mother is one of the the senior directors so we are instructed to not push the issue. It's a sad situation.

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 11:19 PM
link   

This lady did nothign wrong far as I am concerned.She made no threat and stood for her rights and the concern of her paycheck.She stood her ground and had her say so.Just because it's offensive doesn't make it illegal.I don't recall the people behind the desk ordering the lady to be arrested,is was this so called cops decisions idea to do so.This is why they have these meetings to address such topics such as these to bring them up in the group to begin with and why company s have unions.This is a perfect sign of a slow and yet obvious give away of freedom of speech going away little by little.She ought to win a huge law suit in the end.The cop violated her rights,civil rights,the company stood by and did nothing and watched it happen.They did nothing to protect the very own people that work for them.

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 11:32 PM
link   
That's it....I'm angry now

it's enough to make somebody wanna slap a girl scout

toilet paper his house.....shaving cream his car...raise the rent got tamm do something gonna make a difference

I'm all better now...thank you A T S for enabling me to spout....IN THE FINE TEXAS TRADITION
edit on 5-2-2018 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join